Fanless HR-01 on a i5-760?

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Teh Lurv

Fanless HR-01 on a i5-760?

Post by Teh Lurv » Thu Aug 05, 2010 7:59 pm

Hey everyone, I recently refreshed my PC with a i5-760 & a GA-P55M-UD2 mobo housed inside my Antec Solo. At the moment I'm using the Intel stock cooler. I'd like to passively cool the cpu (no intention of OCing) and I've been looking at heatsinks. The Thermalright HR-01 caught my eye, although I don't know how well it'd perform fanless with the i5.

I also noticed after I rebuilt my rig that the area around the socket on the 1156 is a bit more cramped than my old 775 mobo, particularly now that my gfx card sits where the northbridge would've been. I'm using an 8800GT w/Akimbo cooler, which has a backplate heatsink that extends up by 5mm. Anyone know of any clearance issues with 3rd party heatsinks and the 1156 platform?

Finally, I noticed that the HR-01 doesn't include 1156 mounting parts. From another thread in this forum, someone posted a pic of a Thermalright 1156 mounting adapter kit that lists the HR series, however Thermalright's website lists three different adapter kits and doesn't include a complete list of compatibility for each kit. Digging around the site on the HR-01 plus page the LGA 1156 Bolt-Thru-Kit Rev.B is listed on the accessories portion. Could anyone confirm this is the right mounting kit of the three available?

Druneau

Post by Druneau » Fri Aug 13, 2010 4:53 pm

I'm pretty much in the same boat as you. I want to cool my i5 760 using rear case fan only.

From looking around I settled on the Thermalright HR-02. It should cool very well once it's actually release lol.

From what I can tell it should be available by the end of the month.

http://www.thermalright.com/new_a_page/ ... hr-02.html

EDIT: I just looked at your motherboard and the thermalright compatibility list. It says you would have to use the second PCI-E slot for the videocard. I guess it's possible in a Solo ATX case since there is space.