1366 i7 at 4 GHz - how hot?

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

ermi

1366 i7 at 4 GHz - how hot?

Post by ermi » Mon Aug 30, 2010 3:22 am

I've read that the 1366 i7s get relatively hot, definitely more than the 1156 ones. But they still offer a significant advantage over 1156 in certain applications, so they seem like good value in terms of performance, especially once overclocked to 4+ GHz.

I've read of someone here, who runs a 920 at 4GHz not too hot with a Megahalems in a relatively quiet system. With a high RPM fan, tho, which doesn't sound good. But if it's quiet I don't mind.

People get mixed results, so I'd like to get the most opinions as to what it takes to run an OCed i7 quietly. Does the MB get hot as well and is a well ventilated case a must?

mentawl

Post by mentawl » Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:50 am

Well, I guess the short answer in my case is "really darn hot", at least in comparison to Core2s etc. Good ventilation and an excellent cooler really are essential to running an overclocked Socket 1366 i7.

Screenshot of my own i7 920 @ 4ghz @ 1.275vcore (from bios) under IntelBurnTest "Very High" stress level.

Red box is the CPU thermal diode, blue is the CPU PWM fan (the front one in my push-pull config), and the green box is the on-core temperatures. Was obtained with ambient air temperature of 22celsius and with case side off so as not to have any restriction on air intake.

Cooling setup on CPU is a TRUE Black 120 with the stock PWM fan from a Scythe Kabuto in front, and a Nexus D12SL-SL PWM on the back. Two 1200rpm Slipstreams running exhaust duties above and behind the heatsink.

Hope this gives you some idea of the cooling power necessary to run an overclocked i7. Mine isn't particularly demanding of voltage to get to 4ghz (anything under 1.3v is generally considered "safe" afaik), but even so it gets quite worryingly hot under synthetic loads - although I never see over 65c on the core sensors during any other load.

danimal

Post by danimal » Mon Aug 30, 2010 6:55 pm

put the right cooler on it, and you'll be o.k. :
http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?o ... &Itemid=62

i don't see how an i7 1366 mb would be much, if any, hotter than an i7 1156 mb... overclocking the i7 is mostly about the cpu cooler.

ermi

Post by ermi » Tue Aug 31, 2010 1:52 am

Thanks both and keep em coming.

@mentawl:
Yeah, I was thinking of something like a Megahalems or a HR-02 for the CPU. Perhaps even a Noctua NH-14.. But I'd like to keep it low noise, of course.
edit: the Mugen 2 actually looks like good value.

81 C with IntelBurnTest in itself is not too bad. What's more worrying is that you had such a temp with the side panel off and dual fans on the CPU cooler. Is it much worse with the side panel on? I'm guessing in your case it might be, since it's a bit crowded..

I was planning on using my GMC H-60 case. I'd block and dampen the side panels so that the only intake would be from the front hole. Ideally I'd only use the rear fan in the case (+ a CPU cooler fan and a PSU fan), but I'll see if that's enough.

Also, how loud is that fan at 1300RPM?

@danimal:
The 1366 i7s have a TDP of 130W, while the 1156 i7s are rated at 95W. I think the tests I saw so far indicate that there is a difference, although perhaps not as drastic as the TDP would indicate. The 1156 i5s are significantly cooler, tho.
I don't know about the motherboards.

mentawl

Post by mentawl » Tue Aug 31, 2010 4:37 am

ermi wrote:@mentawl:
....Is it much worse with the side panel on? I'm guessing in your case it might be, since it's a bit crowded..
Heh, I should probably have explained that I've been playing Mafia 2 recently, and it benefits greatly from having an nVidia card available for PhysX work - hence why my old 9800GTX is crammed in there :P. I've finished the Mafia 2 campaign now, so I may well remove it today and see if I can get some sensible load tests done for ya.
ermi wrote: Also, how loud is that fan at 1300RPM?
I won't lie...it's pretty loud. Not staggeringly so, and it's pretty smooth, but it's definitely audible over the rest of the case when the CPU goes under load. It rarely gets to full RPMs under normal use - only really happens when putting it under an artificial load. SPCR did a review on the Kabuto and mentioned the fan - http://www.silentpcreview.com/article965-page6.html.

I suspect the Nexus on the back of my TRUE is actually the louder of the pair, but since they're driven from a PWM splitter it's kinda hard to tell, hehe.

EDIT - as to 1156 vs 1366, there's a fair difference. Bear in mind the Nehalem chips are at 130w TDP not including the PCI-E controller etc, while the Lynnfield and Clarkdales are at the lower TDP number while integrating the PCI-E controller onto the CPU die. Not having a "proper" North Bridge to cool on a 1156 board actually makes it an awful lot easier to cool than a 1366 one.

leifeinar

Post by leifeinar » Tue Aug 31, 2010 12:36 pm

All syntetic burn tests makes way to high temps, think i drop 10 celcius by changing from prime95 to F@H and both are 100% load.

In other words, I think ur temps seem ok. and u got a good chip that does 4.0 ghz at that voltage :)

mentawl

Post by mentawl » Thu Sep 02, 2010 6:21 am

Meh, I dunno. There's 100% load and then there's 100% load. It's kinda like running versus say rowing or something - you can be running at 100% speed, but your upper body muscles aren't taking on much of the load, unlike in rowing where almost every muscle is working.

Same deal with a CPU - parts of it can be working at 100%, say under F@H load, but other bits are just sitting there chilling or barely ticking over. The synthetic tests are the ones that really work everything at once.

S'how I see it, anyways. I stand ready to be corrected :P.