Anyone using i7 950 with included boxed fan+heatsink ?

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

guermantes

Anyone using i7 950 with included boxed fan+heatsink ?

Post by guermantes » Fri Oct 15, 2010 4:27 am

Hi,
Is anyone using i7 950 with included boxed fan+heatsink ?
If so, is the fan noisy?
Should I consider buying a separate CPU fan+heatsink solution directly?
Any recommendations? (will mainly multitask in Adobe applications and do some FPS gaming every now and then).

Thanks!

vifrosty

Re: Anyone using i7 950 with included boxed fan+heatsink ?

Post by vifrosty » Mon Oct 18, 2010 5:59 pm

I just built my system, it's in the testing phase right now. I currently have an I7-950 all stock speed and hsf but unfortunately no noise for me. WFIW I the fan power cable may potentially be touching the fan as it spins. Dependong on how you orient the header cable lead away from the heatsink, you might end up tugging a bit on the fan causing it to just slightly touch the fan.

Either way, I've decided I need a much better cooling solution. I accidently mismounted the stock Intel hsf and went to 85C+ (as per the bios) in only as long as it took to get into said BIOS, and a few second later it shut off.

After doing this a few times I finally realized what the problem was (interestingly, the heatsink "felt" solidly mounted". anyway, now after having remounted, I get idle temps of about 43-45c (as seen in Win7 via CoreTemp64). If I run Prime95, my cores hit 100C and not a degree higher (making me wonder if 100 is the limit for the software).

So anyway, I need to post another thread about my case (Antec P193) and what cooler I need. But yes, I suggest you go with an aftermarket cooler even if not overclocking - just my pesonal (and very limited in knowledge so far...) opinion.

starsky
Friend of SPCR

Re: Anyone using i7 950 with included boxed fan+heatsink ?

Post by starsky » Sun Oct 31, 2010 11:04 pm

I had a similar experience with my Core I7-860. Hit 100 without even being pushed.
I have a Noctua SE14 installed now and at 100% load I am at 55c.

Next to undervolt a little and see how we go.