Antec P193: Actual CPU cooler clearance?

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

vifrosty

Antec P193: Actual CPU cooler clearance?

Post by vifrosty » Mon Oct 18, 2010 6:28 pm

I'm new to CPU cooling in general so I apologize ahead of time for being such a newbie.

I've built a Win 7 system with an Antec P193 case, an i7-950, and an Asus P6x58D-E systemboard. Right now the CPU has the stock hsf unit that came with it but I'm fairly sure I need to upgrade based on my CPU temps.

My problem is in selecting a cooler that fits when considering the P193's 200mm side fan assembly. I've read the thread here at SPCR titled "P193 Case Fan Choice which at first I thought answered my question but after re-reading it I kidn of had to wonder if the information was conclusive. Luca's information was great, it's just that after posting the pictures of those 3 cooler units in the P193 which included the Yasya (159mm), that should have ended the questions from the thread originator since obviously if you can fit 159mm, you can fit 158, 155, 152, 144 etc easily enough.

So bottom line: will a 159mm or less air-cooling unit fit in the P193 without modding the case?

I have my eye on either the Megahalems unit (158.7mm) or the Noctua NH-U12P SE2 (158mm).

If the Yasya is 159mm and actually does fit, is there any reason that the Megahalems (158.7) wouldn't fit - or is there something I'm not considering?

I haven't contacted Antec, but from what I gather they never give a consistent answer on this particular question, and vastly underestimate the numbers. Why can't Antec just buy a few coolers and verify? Anyway.

Thanks to anyone that can confirm this stuff.

PS: Any comments on the effectiveness of the Noctua NH-C12P SE14, the one that's only 114mm with the top mounted fan? I prefer the dual fan pointing to the case exhaust but just curious about this top-mounted model.

vifrosty

Re: Antec P193: Actual CPU cooler clearance?

Post by vifrosty » Mon Oct 18, 2010 6:35 pm

Oh and just to mention further about my CPU temps.

Win7 64bit, CoreTemp64 installed. Idle temps in the OS are about 43-45c. If I run Prime95 these temps to to 98-100 within seconds. System doesn't shut off though - not sure what the threshold is.

Other bits of info: Intel's i7-950 retail box little booklet says 38c is the max temp - doesn't seem like anybody gets that though. Not sure if that's just bad info in there or what/.

Lastly, I mis-mounted my stock hsf on the first try - powered up, had system shutting off within about 20-30 seconds. Realized my mistake, re-mounted the heatsink. Didn't use thermal compound before nor after - just relied solely on whatever is already stuck to the heatsink out of the box.

I'll have to learn how to clean the CPU surface and use new compound but not until after I select and purchase a new cooler unit, perhaps with an extra tube in case I screw it up :)

vifrosty

Post by vifrosty » Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:42 am

Looks like Antec has answered this one for me though now I'm divided on the logic. There apparently are/were two versions of the P193 case. Antec says the original had no clearance behind the motehrboard tray for cable routing which of course allowed for a better CPU cooler height. The new P193 with the mobo tray that allows for cable routing behind it is maxed at 145mm. None of the threads I've read anywhere on this site or others confirm this but it does seem logical since a difference of 10-14mm is about the same as the height of the tray from the case.

But then I again looked at quest_for_silence's (Luca's) RedLinePC pictures in the P193 Case Fan Choice thread and the mobo tray has those cable routing cutouts leading me to think that these pictures must be the "rev b" P193.

so I hit Youtube and voila there was a bunch of video's, however not one of those people directly addressed the ability to close the case after putting in a large cooler. But through watching these, I came to see that some P193's have a large cutout in the middle of the mobo tray allowing for CPU cooler mounting without having to remove the mobo, and other P193's have no such cutout. Mine doesn't, so whatever cooler I end up with I guess I'll have to remove the systemboard to do this (what a nuisance). I haven't read up on mounting systems for CPU coolers yet - one review I read talked about a "bolt-action mounting system" I think it was, and referred to it as new and the ideal way. Personally I'll just be happy to bring core temps down, don't care how hard the process is except I'm not willing to mod my case.

Also read a bunch of posts on the Corsair forums. the H50 and H70's won't fit in the P193 without doing some serious side panel modding or messing around with the fan orientation such as reversing the rear exhaust fan to be an intake for the radiator which will result in dust problems), or some method of custom push/pull airflow design that requires custom mounting etc.

Argh.

Anyway, I'm the only one posting on my own thread but it's a learning experience nonetheless. Still, any comments are welcome.

<Edited for spelling>

starsky
Friend of SPCR

Post by starsky » Sun Oct 31, 2010 11:08 pm

Have a read of this: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=60552

The Noctua made a huge difference on my setup.

vonbosch

Post by vonbosch » Sat Nov 20, 2010 9:17 am

Hi vifrosty,

Don't have any useful info to add but I just thought I'd keep you company as a fellow P193 owner who has faced similar issues.

It seems a bit ridiculous situation to have such a big case and have an issue with heatsink clearance but that is what we find. After not finding any conclusive answers, I dodged the whole question and went for a 92mm fan heatsink since I only have to cool and undervolted athlon II X3. I would love to know exactly what will fit in my P193 should I go for a beefier processor.

Incidentally I find that the 200mm Big Boy actually raises temps in my configuration so maybe you just want to haul it out. I actually really wish I had gone for a P183 instead, to be honest the P193 is probably far more case that any consumer will ever need. Love the antec build quality and style though, so Solo and P183 are clearly the way to go for anything less than a truly enormous system.

vB