Best Budget Silent CPU Cooler?

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

therock003

Best Budget Silent CPU Cooler?

Post by therock003 » Fri Dec 03, 2010 1:05 pm

I am looking for a nice silent CPU cooler on a budget value. I have been recommended the Coolermaster Hyper 212 Plus. Are there better choices?

fumino

Re: Best Budget Silent CPU Cooler?

Post by fumino » Fri Dec 03, 2010 8:25 pm

not really, as those can be had for around $10 if you look around... doesnt get much more budget friendly than that.

therock003

Post by therock003 » Sat Dec 04, 2010 2:01 am

10 Dolls? Man i'm getting this for 25 Eur, from Europe, i'm getting robbed?

fumino

Post by fumino » Sat Dec 04, 2010 8:38 pm

i guess not, i must have seen it when it was on sale, since they seem to average around ~25$ here in canada after checking again just now.

alain

Post by alain » Sun Dec 05, 2010 1:06 am

Maybe the scythe samurai zz, it has a very good spcr review.

jhhoffma

Post by jhhoffma » Sun Dec 05, 2010 10:29 am

Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro can be had for real cheap. Works well with low power CPUs.

Not exactly easy to replace the fan (92mm), but the stock one is pretty quiet and is decoupled.

If you need a bigger cooler, Xigmatek has some good options, like the S1284 in the 20euro range.

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Sun Dec 05, 2010 1:50 pm

alain wrote:Maybe the scythe samurai zz

Absolutely no.

alain

Post by alain » Sun Dec 05, 2010 2:29 pm

quest_for_silence wrote:
alain wrote:Maybe the scythe samurai zz

Absolutely no.
Why?

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:21 am

alain wrote:Why?

Because it isn't any better at all, with reference to the CM 212+.

The ZZ is a quiet, relatively small, but generally speaking mediocre cooler, which usually costs a little more than the CM: if there's room for this latter, the ZZ cannot compare to it, even with its not exceptional stock fan, while rather for about the same cost usually it is possible to cope a 212+ with a very good sleeve bearing fan (as a Slipstream or a Nexus, for example).

Obviously I'm assuming he can properly operate it (as at full speed the usual medium speed 92mm cpu fan is quieter than the typical 120mm one: but any advised SPCR reader doesn't run any fan at its full speed, for the sake of quietness).

cordis

Post by cordis » Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:52 pm

What kind of cpu is it? Any case constraints?

alain

Post by alain » Thu Dec 09, 2010 11:56 pm

quest_for_silence wrote:
alain wrote:Why?

Because it isn't any better at all, with reference to the CM 212+.

The ZZ is a quiet, relatively small, but generally speaking mediocre cooler, which usually costs a little more than the CM: if there's room for this latter, the ZZ cannot compare to it, even with its not exceptional stock fan, while rather for about the same cost usually it is possible to cope a 212+ with a very good sleeve bearing fan (as a Slipstream or a Nexus, for example).

Obviously I'm assuming he can properly operate it (as at full speed the usual medium speed 92mm cpu fan is quieter than the typical 120mm one: but any advised SPCR reader doesn't run any fan at its full speed, for the sake of quietness).
Luca

The zz can be mounted with the standard system and blows on the mb. The cm 212+ requires mouting the backplane and doesn't cool the mb. For a modest cooling requirement those factors are maybe important. Here the cm 212+ is a little bit more expensive than the zz.

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Fri Dec 10, 2010 12:50 am

alain wrote:The zz can be mounted with the standard system and blows on the mb. The cm 212+ requires mouting the backplane and doesn't cool the mb. For a modest cooling requirement those factors are maybe important.

As you said, alain, maybe: having a screw in or a bolt-through mounting mechanism is an advantage in every case, and the CM's one is a good one: it's stable, more secure, and help a lot to cool the cpu. With reference to mobo's cooling, if a mobo need to be helped by the cpu heatsink, then it is a weird mobo (I'm thinking to some Zotacs or to some Nvidia IGPs) and usually the cooler can't help a lot (usually you need some added heatsinks on the mobo's components - northbridge, VRMs, et c. - to get actually satisfactory results). IMO/IME.

However, no 92mm fan cooler may compare to full tower heatsinks as for cooling power: obviously the OP might do better saying which CPU he's looking at (as a 25W Athlon IIu isn't the same than an OCed 130W i7-9XX).

johnniecache7

Post by johnniecache7 » Sat Dec 18, 2010 12:54 am

jhhoffma wrote:Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro can be had for real cheap. Works well with low power CPUs.

Not exactly easy to replace the fan (92mm), but the stock one is pretty quiet and is decoupled.

If you need a bigger cooler, Xigmatek has some good options, like the S1284 in the 20euro range.
Calling the Freeze 7 pro quiet is like calling vacuum cleaner quiet it's annoying and extremely loud 92mm @ 2500 rpm. You won't get better then Coolermaster 212+ on a budget stick to it OP.

jhhoffma

Post by jhhoffma » Sun Dec 19, 2010 10:46 am

johnniecache7 wrote:Calling the Freeze 7 pro quiet is like calling vacuum cleaner quiet it's annoying and extremely loud 92mm @ 2500 rpm. You won't get better then Coolermaster 212+ on a budget stick to it OP.
Any fan at 2500rpm is not quiet. I've had a Freezer 7 on my X2 4850e in an HTPC configuration and now in a WHS. It never even turns on now as the mobo doesn't even tell it to come on until the CPU reaches 40C. At lower than 9v, you shouldn't ever hear it, especially if you have a standard HDD in the system.

It's a very cheap HSF, so you will get what you pay for. But generally, I stay away from Coolermaster. I like A/C for the cheap stuff, Xigmatek for the midrange, and Scythe for the higher end.

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Sun Dec 19, 2010 9:28 pm

jhhoffma wrote:But generally, I stay away from Coolermaster. I like A/C for the cheap stuff

I mean it's just sort of a prejudice as each of us actually has: just for instance, as far as I am concerned it's quite the contrary, I usually avoid A/C and generally like CM (for the "cheap" stuff).

optis

Post by optis » Wed Dec 29, 2010 7:33 pm

Well, if you can afford to spend a few bucks more, the best buy would be Scyhte Kama Angle ReV.B. It costs about $50, and its one of absolutely quietest coolers in the upper class ( 6.4 dbA at 500 rpm, 140mm fan).

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Thu Dec 30, 2010 10:37 am

optis wrote:Well, if you can afford to spend a few bucks more, the best buy would be Scyhte Kama Angle ReV.B. It costs about $50, and its one of absolutely quietest coolers in the upper class ( 6.4 dbA at 500 rpm, 140mm fan).

The Kama Angle Rev. B AFAIK uses the very same 120mm fan used by other Scythe's top cooler as the Mugen 2, which is a more effective and cheaper cooler than it: so I don't think it may be called "the best buy" at all.

Generally speaking any CPU cooler should not be "judged" by some reference figures, not to mention we're talking about not "budget coolers", as they cost more than two times a CM H212+ (for substantially less cooling power, dealing with the Kama Angle).

However, if I may take the liberty, I would suggest you to not trust those numbers: at least, I wouldn't believe to those stated 6.4dB even if I measured them.

optis

Post by optis » Thu Dec 30, 2010 7:50 pm

Sorry, youre right, my type mistake, that was 120 mm fan.
BTW, "the best buy" isnt my imagination, it is a result of exact testing made by tools Prime 95 and HWMonitor on the Core i7-870 processor in 3 different states: idle, 100%(full loaded) cpu and overclocked cpu (from 3.2Ghz to 4.05GHz).
Compared with Kama Angle Rev.B - the CM H212+ is a smaller and cheaper cooler (it costs about $40), and thats its advantages.
CM H212+ had a slightly, but very sligtly, better results on the test so it cannot be treated as a great benefit.(see the image "cooler-test.jpg" with all tested coolers)
cooler-test.jpg
The main diferrence and benefit of Kama Angle is a low noise which stays low even in overclocked situation. In normal situations, the noise generated by CM H212+ is relatively OK, starts to raise on full loaded CPU and it becomes very bold with overclocked CPU.
Thats why Kama Angle took "the best buy" title, which is a subjective opinion of test jury, of course.
BTW, CM H212+, is an excellent cooler.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:34 pm

optis wrote:BTW, "the best buy" isnt my imagination, it is a result of exact testing made by tools Prime 95 and HWMonitor on the Core i7-870 processor in 3 different states: idle, 100%(full loaded) cpu and overclocked cpu (from 3.2Ghz to 4.05GHz).

I guess you've misunderstood: as the Scythe Mugen 2 is cheaper, far better in cooling power, and uses the same fan, then SURELY the Scythe Kama Angle CAN'T be "the best buy" (if there's at least one cooler far better than it for less money).
BTW the images you attached don't turn to your state's advantage, IMO.
optis wrote:The CM H212+ is a smaller and cheaper cooler (it costs about $40)

The CM H212+ costs about 22USD in North America, and about 25euros all over EU, IIRC.
optis wrote:CM H212+ had a slightly, but very sligtly, better results on the test so it cannot be treated as a great benefit.

It's just your opinion: actually the CM seems to be a more effective cooler.
In the SPCR Test Lab (with an Intel Core i7-965 Extreme) last may it scored 9°-12°C better than the Scythe Kabuto, which on its turn was bested by just 1°-2°-3°C in your test.
Another oddity is that in your alleged test the Kabuto bested the Kama Angle, which in its turn bested the Grand Kama Cross: on the contrary, in SPCR tests the Grand Kama Cross bested the Kabuto and by far.
I trust SPCR, of course (not to mention I also own a 212 and a Kabuto).
optis wrote:The main diferrence and benefit of Kama Angle is a low noise which stays low even in overclocked situation. In normal situations, the noise generated by CM H212+ is relatively OK, starts to raise on full loaded CPU and it becomes very bold with overclocked CPU.
Thats why Kama Angle took "the best buy" title, which is a subjective opinion of test jury, of course.

Again, it's just your mere opinion.
SPCR tests are all performed at the same identical noise level, so the CM is a more effective cooler *just at low noise levels*.
Apropos of low noise: your test doesn't show those declared (by Scythe) 6.4dB, while SPCR actually measures the noise level.
As already said, I trust SPCR.

optis

Post by optis » Sat Jan 01, 2011 7:57 am

The price of CM H212+ in German online stores is €25 ($33). Since the cooler is not the lightest thing in the world, with the postage & package included we are coming close to $40, arent we?

All the coolers mentioned in this topic (Kama Cross, Kama Angle, CM H212+, Kabuto) are of the same category, and more or less showed the similar results on the test. Roughly, all their results are spread under 10°C temperature segment.

Now it is a question of taste how much you/me/someone really mind if the idle temperature of CPU is 23 or 29°C(or 70 and 76°C in overclocked variant).

The attitude of jury (which is not necessery as same as yours) is thats not of great importance because it is unnoticeable during the computer work. Indeed, when I am playing a game, I really do not mind and do not feel is the CPU temperature 52 or 60°C.

Another question is a noise and that differs CM H212+ from Scythe models mention above. This is a specification from Cooler Master and Sycthe official websites:

CM H212+
Fan Speed 600 - 2000 rpm
13 - 32 dBA

Scyhte Kama Angle Rev.B:
Fan speed 324 - 1,200 rpm (±10%)
6.4 - 24 dbA

It is more than obvious that 2000rpm fan is quite louder than Scyhte`s 1200rpm. Even the CM company declared that noise can raise to 32 dbA. And trust me, the jury heard that very well, especially in full loaded and overclocked state.

Speaking in a car language, CM H212+ has the engine performance of Jaguar, but the noise of low class Golf.

jhhoffma

Post by jhhoffma » Sat Jan 01, 2011 9:20 am

Only going to chime in to say that posting manufacturer's specs are worthless and that it's irrelevant what the minimum and maximum fan speeds (and noise) are for those coolers, unless you know exactly how effective the cooler will be. Say "cooler A" has a fan that spins from 800-3000rpm and "cooler B" has a fan that spins from 500-2000rpm. If "cooler A" is efficient enough at any point so that its fan stays at or below 1000rpm, and "cooler B" is less efficient so that at any point its fan needs to run at least 1500rpm, then it doesn't matter what the specs are.

That being said, the CM-H212+ seems to be a very good deal, and definitely the cheapest of the "direct touch" coolers. Personally, I'd spend the extra $ on a Scythe Mugen (or Ninja Mini if I had space constraints).

alleycat

Post by alleycat » Sat Jan 01, 2011 4:20 pm

I recently built a system for a friend using a CM H212+ on an i7-870. I'm very impressed with its performance, and the price is excellent. I also like it because it's not huge, and it's easy to install. The fan isn't that great, but it's easy to swap it for a Nexus or similar. I would definitely choose this heatsink again in future builds.

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:13 pm

optis wrote:The price of CM H212+ in German online stores is €25 ($33). Since the cooler is not the lightest thing in the world, with the postage & package included we are coming close to $40, arent we?

No, we're not.
First of all, if you live in Germany, use euros for comparison, not dollars, as you would add more confusion.
Said that, shipping charges - if any! - are the same for every cooler, but they aren't part of the cooler's price (or any other component's part): so, please, apples to apples, grapefruit to grapefruit.
Currently in Germany the Kama Angle costs about 30-35% more than the CM (shipping apart).
optis wrote:Indeed, when I am playing a game, I really do not mind and do not feel is the CPU temperature 52 or 60°C.

I'm afraid that you are a bit confused, optis.
First of all, a cooler system is a more reliable one, and components lifespan will also enjoy lower temperature.
Then, if anything just under the TjMax is good, which one can be the very "best buy"?
optis wrote:This is a specification from Cooler Master and Sycthe official websites

As I have already told you so, this is the last time I will repeat myself: I don't trust at all such specs, and you would do better to do the same.

Almost always such specs are overly optimistic or simply unrealistic.
But this thing apart, under a certain threshold, if you aren't in an anechoic chamber, you can't esteem such subtle differences.
So, even in a silent bedroom at night, you won't be able to fully appreciate the difference from 6.4dB or 13dB (about light leaf rustling), even if hearing threshold is set at 0dB.

Yes, Scythe usually makes good fans, but it's just the first step to have a quiet cooler. And talking about the word "budget", a CM paired with a better fan (Nexus, Scythe, et c.) still costs less than a Kama Angle (while retaining a superior cooling power).
optis wrote:And trust me, the jury heard that very well, especially in full loaded and overclocked state.

Here the only source I trust is SPCR.
I beg your pardon, but I see you're a bit ignorant about what SPCR is, and how SPCR works. I think you might do better informing yourself how SPCR tests heatsinks.
A properly dialed down (8V) stock Hyper212+ can cool down any i7 while being inaudible: if you aren't able to do so, I guess it's your (or your methodology) fault, eventually, and not of the cooler itself.

optis

Post by optis » Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:36 pm

quest_for_silence wrote:
No, we're not.
First of all, if you live in Germany, use euros for comparison, not dollars, as you would add more confusion.
Said that, shipping charges - if any! - are the same for every cooler, but they aren't part of the cooler's price (or any other component's part): so, please, apples to apples, grapefruit to grapefruit.
Currently in Germany the Kama Angle costs about 30-35% more than the CM (shipping apart).

I'm afraid that you are a bit confused, optis.
First of all, a cooler system is a more reliable one, and components lifespan will also enjoy lower temperature.
Then, if anything just under the TjMax is good, which one can be the very "best buy"?

As I have already told you so, this is the last time I will repeat myself: I don't trust at all such specs, and you would do better to do the same.

Almost always such specs are overly optimistic or simply unrealistic.
But this thing apart, under a certain threshold, if you aren't in an anechoic chamber, you can't esteem such subtle differences.
So, even in a silent bedroom at night, you won't be able to fully appreciate the difference from 6.4dB or 13dB (about light leaf rustling), even if hearing threshold is set at 0dB.

Yes, Scythe usually makes good fans, but it's just the first step to have a quiet cooler. And talking about the word "budget", a CM paired with a better fan (Nexus, Scythe, et c.) still costs less than a Kama Angle (while retaining a superior cooling power).

Here the only source I trust is SPCR.
I beg your pardon, but I see you're a bit ignorant about what SPCR is, and how SPCR works. I think you might do better informing yourself how SPCR tests heatsinks.
A properly dialed down (8V) stock Hyper212+ can cool down any i7 while being inaudible: if you aren't able to do so, I guess it's your (or your methodology) fault, eventually, and not of the cooler itself.

Someone once said: Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
Your use of hard words and arrogant phrases like: "As I have already told you so, this is the last time I will repeat myself" - doesnt show your knowledge, it only shows your bad manners and the lack of home education. So please behave yourself and do not patronize anyone in this forum. The members are not here to be called "ignorants" or to be offended in any way. If you do not agree with someone, stay away from that offensive stance.

Back to the coolers, I can only say "the best buy" category consists of many elements: price, size, noise, performance, easy installation, etc... This jury in this case took the attitude that noise is the most important factor. Since CM was quite loud at full loaded and overclocked state (on idle and normal work was as silent as Scythe), they decided that CM cannot get "the best buy title". Maybe some other tests can show other result, maybe some other jury may take a different attitude, but that is result of that test and the explanation of that jury.

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:20 am

optis wrote:Your use of hard words and arrogant phrases like: "As I have already told you so, this is the last time I will repeat myself" - doesnt show your knowledge

I think you've been completely led astray. I have not to show anything about myself: have you to show anything?

My language is actually imperfect, as I'm not an english spoken man, but I guess it was very polite/formal (or so I look for), even if I don't know about your english comprehension (the only phrase that you extrapolated above just meant "I will not bother you repeating an opinion I've already told you").

About being ignorant, actually I think you ignore the so-called "SPCR world" (and as you may check by yourself, any aggressive meaning of this adjective is not the first nor the second ones), and your latest remarks about "noise as the most important factor" let me think you haven't understood what SPCR means. As we're writing on an SPCR's forum, I mean it's not a good starting point towards the reciprocal comprehension.

optis

Post by optis » Tue Jan 04, 2011 5:09 pm

quest_for_silence wrote:
I think you've been completely led astray. I have not to show anything about myself: have you to show anything?

My language is actually imperfect, as I'm not an english spoken man, but I guess it was very polite/formal (or so I look for), even if I don't know about your english comprehension (the only phrase that you extrapolated above just meant "I will not bother you repeating an opinion I've already told you").

About being ignorant, actually I think you ignore the so-called "SPCR world" (and as you may check by yourself, any aggressive meaning of this adjective is not the first nor the second ones), and your latest remarks about "noise as the most important factor" let me think you haven't understood what SPCR means. As we're writing on an SPCR's forum, I mean it's not a good starting point towards the reciprocal comprehension.
If you really think that word "ignorant" has any other meaning than agressive and offending - I can only say - no comment. I leave that to readers to judge...And this is really an end point of this conversation.

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Tue Jan 04, 2011 7:14 pm

optis wrote:I can only say - no comment.

*H*o*l*y*c*r*a*p*! (© by ~El~Jefe~)
I'm really sorry to get on your nerves.
optis wrote:this is really an end

Hope to never really see you again on this screen (as well any other one)!
But check your english proficiency, however.

optis

Post by optis » Thu Jan 06, 2011 5:57 am

Just an explanation to other readers. I do not think that SPCR tests are wrong comparing to ours shown in the table above. They are just different, there are simply two different approaches. We are not testing all the coolers with the same fan, we are standing the position that all tests we conducted are with factory original fans which are sold with them and which are a part of the coller`s price. From our point of view the quality of fan (read: the noise) is a part cooler as they are sold together. Maybe it is less objective than SPCR`s tests. Maybe not. It is just a different approach.

andymcca

Post by andymcca » Thu Jan 06, 2011 6:05 am

Neat conversation. I'm actually in the market for a new HSF and may give the CM 212+ a try. It is actually exactly what I was looking for. Does anyone know for sure that it fits in a Solo? Just got a Solo :D

(as an aside: I'd like to back quest_for_silence up. He is usually very well informed, and while very direct, I don't think he meant any offense. Words like "ignorant" may have strong negative connotations in the USA, but I think he was trying to have a civil conversation in a second language. Except in the silly global warming/god threads, everything on this forum should be taken as "passionate, but not personal". People here really care a lot about quiet components. A lot. :D)
Edit: I realize you are not in the USA, but I cannot speak for UK English! And I don't know which you are more in contact with!

(PS: This forum is populated by people who replace their GPU coolers. I think most people would be OK with replacing a 120mm HS fan :). In fact, I think I will be using this HS passively at first. That said, pointing out that the stock fan is crap is also a worthwhile activity!)

loimlo

Post by loimlo » Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:11 am

I think the most obvious shortcoming of CM 212+ is its bundled 120mm fan, which is a poor quality fan in terms of acoustics characteristics, and in need of a fan swap if you incline to make the system as quiet as possible. In my opinion, I guess CM's choice of fan was an afterthought after the development period of CM212+. Frankly, I'd purchase Scythe Mugen 2 if price is more or less the same, given Scythe's significantly better quality bundled fan. Just my 2 cents.