Post by andyb » Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:23 pm

fumino

Re: Prolimatech Genesis - Its a monster

Post by fumino » Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:49 pm

what a beast.

cordis

Post by cordis » Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:31 am

Very interesting. Looking at the heatpipes though, I wonder how well it will do in a silverstone raven or fortress ft02. Could be trouble. Hope somebody tests that.

tim851

Post by tim851 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:28 am

Interesting concept. Though it does not cool the VRMs, as they claim. Unless you have one of those rare mainboards where the RAM and VRM areas are swapped. It could be interesting for the people who insist on cooling their RAM directly. Otherwise I'd go with either a true downdraft cooler, which will actually cool the VRMs, or a traditional tower, which will let me access the memory slots, because with the Genesis, it looks like you might have to remove the mainboard from the case to insert new modules.

But I do appreciate the thinking out of the box.

ces

Post by ces » Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:00 am

tim851 wrote:Interesting concept. Though it does not cool the VRMs... But I do appreciate the thinking out of the box.
Yeah it is very appealing until you start thinking about what the benefits are. I don't over clock... but my experience with memory on all my computers is that it has always been cool to the touch. And it seems that cooling memory is what this cooler is all about.

Tzupy
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Tzupy » Fri Feb 18, 2011 3:11 pm

I have some doubts about the 'cooling memory' capability. The only advantage of this design IMO is the reduced air resistance.
Since it will blow warm-to-hot air onto the memory (quite hot for heavy overclockers), IMO it won't cool it much, or worse.
And you won't be able to replace the memory without removing the CPU cooler, which issue for me it's a showstopper.

cordis

Post by cordis » Fri Feb 18, 2011 3:46 pm

Yeah, I suppose you could point the fan so that it pulls air up over the rams through the cooler extension, but if your ram is hot then your cpu won't get as cooled off. I think we'll really need to see some numbers to know for sure. It may just be that they bent the pipes over the ram just for the extra space, most cooler already butt up against the ram, so maybe putting it over the ram just gave them some extra room for fin width. Any ram cooling may just be incidental.

ces

Post by ces » Fri Feb 18, 2011 5:38 pm

Tzupy wrote:Since it will blow warm-to-hot air onto the memory (quite hot for heavy overclockers), IMO it won't cool it much, or worse.
Them temp of the air will not be much greater than the ambient temp inside the case. To the extent that the memory is truly hot, it will reduce its temp, unless the case itself isn't moving much air in and out of itself.

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Tue Mar 15, 2011 4:11 am

fumino

Post by fumino » Tue Mar 15, 2011 4:41 am

OC3D took a look at this too. ok performance, but questionable value without fans.

thejamppa
Location: Missing in Finnish wilderness, howling to moon with wolf brethren and walking with brother bears

Post by thejamppa » Sun Apr 10, 2011 7:54 am

fumino wrote:OC3D took a look at this too. ok performance, but questionable value without fans.
I agree, but few years back that same was said about Thermalrights products aswell. Not everyone are packrats that hoarde good fans in storage just in case like yours truly. Genesis is designed primarly for 140mm fans which we still lack good, solid performancing PWM-variants. Interesting concept and everything. Still, Noctua's NH-D14 and Thermalright Silver Arrow are near its price and do supply fan or two with them... Its very hard competing those two particular cooler when Genesis doesn't have massive performance edge like Thermalrights cooler had few years ago.

I still like the unusual design of the Genesis.