Controlling CPU fan speed on Asus P5Q

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

wayner
Friend of SPCR

Controlling CPU fan speed on Asus P5Q

Post by wayner » Wed Apr 20, 2011 4:56 pm

My Windows Home Server (V1) is using an Asus P5Q mobo. I am using the stock intel CPU fan/heatsink and the CPU is an E8400. Is there any way to control the speed of this CPU fan? I can't seem to do it from Speedfan and I have tried installing the Asus AI Suite software for the P5Q but it says that it is not compatible with my system.

lodestar

Re: Controlling CPU fan speed on Asus P5Q

Post by lodestar » Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:41 pm

Asus motherboards normally have fairly good BIOS fan controls, and the P5Q is unlikely to be an exception. There should be a CPU Q-Fan Control item somewhere in your BIOS, normally under the Hardware Monitor section. Check that this is set to Enabled. If it is, it should offer a choice of several different fan profiles normally Silent, Standard and Turbo. Selecting Silent rather than Standard may help a bit. You may also find that a least one of the chassis fan headers can be controlled use Q-Fan, and again there should be a choice of profiles. Either adding a 3 pin chassis fan to be controlled this way, or changing an existing fan to do so may improve air flow and help to keep the CPU fan quiet when it is under load.

cmthomson

Re: Controlling CPU fan speed on Asus P5Q

Post by cmthomson » Thu Apr 21, 2011 6:00 pm

To let the BIOS control your fans, enable Q-Fan as described above.

To use SpeedFan, disable Q-Fan control in the BIOS Power/Monitor page. SpeedFan works just fine on my P5Q.