How do SPCR use a Nexus 3-pin fan on a 4-pin CPU header?

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

effortless

How do SPCR use a Nexus 3-pin fan on a 4-pin CPU header?

Post by effortless » Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:08 am

I realize this works, but normally the fan speed would go instantly to 100%.

Is the only option to purchase a fan controller? Would these fan controllers have automatic speed controll? :?

Extra: Do you think a Zalman CNPSX Performa stock fan is quiter at its lowest speed than a Fractal fan at its highest?

Vicotnik
*Lifetime Patron*

Re: How do SPCR use a Nexus 3-pin fan on a 4-pin CPU header?

Post by Vicotnik » Thu Jul 21, 2011 8:36 am

Any fan can be controlled. I have not seen a motherboard that's able to control a 4-pin PWM fan while unable to control a "normal" 3-pin non-PWM fan. PWM is the cool way to do it, that's all. :)

ces

Post by ces » Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:29 pm

There are devices that permit you to use a 4-pin CPU header to control 3-pin fans.

Here is one:
http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/ ... s_id=30056

cmthomson

Post by cmthomson » Thu Jul 21, 2011 6:57 pm

Vicotnik wrote:Any fan can be controlled. I have not seen a motherboard that's able to control a 4-pin PWM fan while unable to control a "normal" 3-pin non-PWM fan. PWM is the cool way to do it, that's all. :)
Almost all recent motherboards will not vary the speed of a 3-pin fan plugged into a 4-pin header. A few years ago the opposite was true... I guess this is progress.

Mr Spocko

Post by Mr Spocko » Fri Jul 29, 2011 4:47 pm

cmthomson wrote: Almost all recent motherboards will not vary the speed of a 3-pin fan plugged into a 4-pin header. A few years ago the opposite was true... I guess this is progress.
Situation seems a bit different I've recently built a Gigabyte AM3+ board and have no trouble with it controlling fan speeds esp CPU speed. There is an auto and a selectable option for voltage and smart fan option. I've checked up on Asus who were getting quite a few complaints about this and it does appear according to their manuals that they now do support both PWM and voltage control. I know a few years back Asus were only supporting PWM this seems to have been addressed (least the models I've checked out)

Not sure about MSI I have not used one for a while I think Asrock are ok with voltage control as well.