Intel 4930K thermal paste: dot or line?

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

zsero

Intel 4930K thermal paste: dot or line?

Post by zsero » Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:59 am

I've been using Arctic Silver's very detailed instructions before for all the processors where I didn't know how to apply thermal paste, but the hex-core Intel processors are just not in their database.

My question is that what is the best way to apply thermal paste on a 4930K? It's with MX-4 and Mugen 4.

Abula

Re: Intel 4930K thermal paste: dot or line?

Post by Abula » Fri Mar 21, 2014 6:27 pm

There are multiple ways to apply, dot, the line, the cross, spreading it first, even multiple dots, etc. Personally I tried multiple ways and set the heat sink multiple times until I find the best spread that covers most of the CPU, just try and see what works better for you, there is no ideal or error proff way.

xan_user
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by xan_user » Sat Mar 22, 2014 10:10 am

I use a brand new razorblade to squeegee the thinnest layer possible.

-but as long as you dont use too much or too little, i doubt the application technique matters much at all.

zsero

Post by zsero » Mon Mar 24, 2014 3:38 am

Abula wrote:There are multiple ways to apply, dot, the line, the cross, spreading it first, even multiple dots, etc. Personally I tried multiple ways and set the heat sink multiple times until I find the best spread that covers most of the CPU, just try and see what works better for you, there is no ideal or error proff way.
But I guess this means you take off the heatsink once you've applied. Isn't that a super air-bubbly thing to do? I've never taken the heatsink off once I've applied the paste, I've always just rotated it to press all bubbles out.