would you buy LED cpu cooler?

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

dan

would you buy LED cpu cooler?

Post by dan » Mon Jan 05, 2015 10:30 am

in 2015 heat pipe cooler are a dime a dozen and are mostly equally effective and all look the same.

i was thinking.

i like led lights.

would you buy a cpu cooler that had throughout the fins, led's, scores of blue light led's, that you plug in the fan connector that lights up the entire cooler like a christmas tree?

i would for a small price premium.

edh

Re: would you buy LED cpu cooler?

Post by edh » Mon Jan 05, 2015 11:16 am

No no no and again no.

LEDs, CCFLs and acrylic cases that you have asked about recently are not highly thought of on SPCR. Anything that produces light means that power is used and that power equates to an amount of waste heat inside the case which would then require more cooling for a given temperature and hence more noise, all things being equal. In addtion there is the oft quoted fact that LED fans with their transparent, inflexible plastic are louder although this is difficult to prove.

So why are so suddenly asking about LED fans? If you want them, go and buy them but it isn't 2002 and therefore no one else likes them.

dan

Post by dan » Mon Jan 05, 2015 11:26 am

edh wrote:No no no and again no.

LEDs, CCFLs and acrylic cases that you have asked about recently are not highly thought of on SPCR. Anything that produces light means that power is used and that power equates to an amount of waste heat inside the case which would then require more cooling for a given temperature and hence more noise, all things being equal. In addtion there is the oft quoted fact that LED fans with their transparent, inflexible plastic are louder although this is difficult to prove.

So why are so suddenly asking about LED fans? If you want them, go and buy them but it isn't 2002 and therefore no one else likes them.
i'm not talking LED fans. i'm talking led lights directly on the heat pipes and fins.

led lights don't add much in either power or heat.

i want silent and blue lights.

i luv star wars light sabers.

edh

Post by edh » Mon Jan 05, 2015 1:07 pm

Well I don't like lighting on computers of any form. I disconnect power and hard disk LEDs if I find them too bright.

I would never buy a cooler with LEDs and I'm pretty certain most of the people on SPCR forums would not either. That is all I have to say on the topic but if you 'luv star wars light sabers' then feel free to buy them.

dan

Post by dan » Mon Jan 05, 2015 3:51 pm

edh wrote:Well I don't like lighting on computers of any form. I disconnect power and hard disk LEDs if I find them too bright.

I would never buy a cooler with LEDs and I'm pretty certain most of the people on SPCR forums would not either. That is all I have to say on the topic but if you 'luv star wars light sabers' then feel free to buy them.
oh ic. but i dont think led lights use much power. i guess led lights is like "noise" 4u. we both want silence :D

bastiaan

Post by bastiaan » Mon Jan 05, 2015 4:41 pm

edh wrote:Well I don't like lighting on computers of any form.
Same here, and I'm always irritated by the LED light in my mouse, which is its only flaw.

xan_user
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by xan_user » Mon Jan 19, 2015 12:16 pm

I almost always use lightdims to reduce the led glare on my devices. Personally i don't see why anyone would want to add more...