I want to upgrade, but should I?

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

MintyHippo21

I want to upgrade, but should I?

Post by MintyHippo21 » Sun Aug 23, 2015 1:19 pm

Hello, I am currently running a be quiet! Pure Rock on my FX-6350 in a Define r5 Windowed version. My problem with this cooler is that the mounting hardware only allow the cooler to push air up or down as opposed to out the back of the case. This frustrates me quite a bit as I bought this instead of the 212 Evo and then lose out to Intel favored mounting hardware. I am very much considering purchasing the Scythe Ninja 4 as a replacement. I have Kingston Fury ram so clearance is not an issue. It should also be noted I am a bit nervous going back to school as my apartment is significantly hotter than my home. The Pure Rock is a little loud for me.

Idle (Present)
35-45 C
800-1000 rpm

Load (Present)
70+ C
1600-2600 rpm

This is from running games such as Hawken, Shadow of Mordor, Smite, Dungeon Defenders 2 and the like. I will be getting Fallout 4 as well.

So the big question is, would it be a good idea to upgrade my cpu cooling solution to the Scythe Ninja 4? Would I see significant improvement in my temps and noise?

Thank you for your help.

Edit: I forgot to mention that I do want to try my hand at OCing a bit (not a huge OC) to help my FX-6350 along. This is also partially the reasoning as I fear the already sub-desirable performance of the Pure Rock would be even worse. Just something to consider.

CA_Steve

Re: I want to upgrade, but should I?

Post by CA_Steve » Mon Aug 24, 2015 11:08 am

Welcome to SPCR.
2600rpm sounds hinky, as be quiet specifies 1500rpm and Techpowerup saw 1638rpm max. It could be there isn't a great thermal connection betwen the cooler and the CPU, leading to the high rpms. Try removing/cleaning/resetting the cooler and see if it gets better.

If it doesn't significantly improve the fan speed/temps, then the Ninja would be a decent replacement. You should see a 5C+ drop in temps from your current setup and a significant drop in fan speed in single fan configuration.

boost

Post by boost » Mon Aug 24, 2015 1:01 pm

Do you actually have a Shadow Rock Slim?
There's a new version of this cooler, that came out after the SPCR review with a new fan. The new fan has a 6-pole motor which shows a 50% higher RPM figure than regular PWM fans with a 4-pole motor. This could explain why your fan shows such a high RPM figure.

MintyHippo21

Post by MintyHippo21 » Wed Aug 26, 2015 5:51 am

boost wrote:Do you actually have a Shadow Rock Slim?
Nope I have the Pure Rock.

In regards to thermal connection, I could definitely re-mount the unit, but in most reviews be quiet! mounting isn't exactly praised. As far as the fan at 2600 rpm I think it was a minor glitch as it has never happened again. Shadow of Mordor really pushed this thing. I really just wanted to know if the Ninja would be better which you answered so THANK YOU! :D I am just frustrated with the Pure Rock's performance and mounting so I will almost definitely upgrade sometime soon.

Thank you both for your help!

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Wed Aug 26, 2015 10:54 am

Have fun :)