Where to buy Scythe Coolers in Canada? Other cooler options?

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

peternm22

Where to buy Scythe Coolers in Canada? Other cooler options?

Post by peternm22 » Sat Jul 01, 2017 2:10 pm

I've been thinking of building a new system (my current one is from 2009). It looks like Scythe is still considered one of the best on SPCR (my current build is using a Mugen 2). Looking at either the Scythe Kotetsu or Ninja 4. However, these coolers don't seem readily available in Canada. NCIX doesn't list a single Scythe product in stock. Amazon.ca and Newegg.ca seem to have some, but they are all from 3rd party sellers.

Are there any other super quiet coolers available in Canada? I'm thinking of a Ryzen 7 1700 so it would need to have AM4 compatibility (which it looks like Scythe has, but I need to get an adaptor).

Ideally I would like to get everything from NCIX and have them build it for me for $50, but it doesn't look like they carry as many SPCR recommended parts as they did in 2009 (no Scythe, no Nexus).

Thoughts?

CA_Steve

Re: Where to buy Scythe Coolers in Canada? Other cooler opti

Post by CA_Steve » Sat Jul 01, 2017 8:13 pm

peternm22

Post by peternm22 » Sat Jul 01, 2017 9:39 pm

Hi Steve, thanks for the advice!

I just read through the SPCR reviews of those 3 and I'm not sure if there is one that could be considered noticeably better than the others. At low fan speed, all 3 seem like they would essentially be inaudible? Especially so when enclosed in a case like the Fractal Design R5 that has some acoustic padding to block noise.

Any reason that I shouldn't go for the Noctua compared to the other two?

Thanks again!

Abula

Post by Abula » Sat Jul 01, 2017 10:00 pm

The biggest problem is AM4 mount, out of limit choices or canada excesive pricing, my first pic would be the be quiet! DARK ROCK 3 SilentWings CPU Cooler, but would ask NCIX if can be mounted on AM4 mobos, seems it can by newegg user reviews but only facing up.... not my ideal orientation. Noctua seems to be one that reacted faster to AM4 mounting, and they give it for free, so probably NCIX already has some, check with them if they can mount the Noctua NH-U14S, pretty good cooler, just a little more expensive.

peternm22

Post by peternm22 » Sat Jul 01, 2017 10:23 pm

Hi Abula. Do you think I should just hold off for a few months to see if any better AM4 coolers become available? I've had this computer for 8 years, so a few more months won't kill me. I did post a message on the NCIX forum asking about the AM4 mount for the Noctua cooler, so I'll see what they say.

Does anyone know what the deal with Scythe is? I was trying to figure out why there are so hard to come by and it appears they lost one of their big distributors in North America a few years ago. Seems odd that haven't gotten a new one since.

Abula

Post by Abula » Sat Jul 01, 2017 11:03 pm

peternm22 wrote:Hi Abula. Do you think I should just hold off for a few months to see if any better AM4 coolers become available? I've had this computer for 8 years, so a few more months won't kill me.
I always recommend to buy when you need it, if you can hold off and still be fine, i would wait. Most manufacturers already have AM4 mounts, including thermalright, noctua, coolermaster, to say a few, but they all have inventory stocks in most retailers, so its not that easy to get AM4 ready coolers, probably in the next few months most should have, but hard to say if all.
peternm22 wrote:I did post a message on the NCIX forum asking about the AM4 mount for the Noctua cooler, so I'll see what they say.
Ryzen has been selling really well, and NCIX has always carry noctua, even linus had some fans made for him, so im guessing noctua has good relations with NCIX, i bet they have stock AM4 or can get some pretty fast. Either way noctua service is top notch, i spoke to CM and told them one of my Noctua NF-A14 PWM came unblanced and was doing some noise, they only ask for the invoice, and a new one was ship from them next day, so im guessing NCIX already has something going with them, if not they can ask for the AM4 mount saying they selling one, and in a couple of weeks they should receive it, that said, idk customs of canada, some has said they are pain, so might take longer. Ask them also about the Dark Pro, seems like a great cooler, i installed 7 bequiet fans this week, and they are really one of the best fans i have tested tonally, so im guessing this cpu cooler should be a good option.
peternm22 wrote:Does anyone know what the deal with Scythe is? I was trying to figure out why there are so hard to come by and it appears they lost one of their big distributors in North America a few years ago. Seems odd that haven't gotten a new one since.
Scythe went into a restructure a couple of years ago, they closed their US office and took like a year to re open, it was very hard even for US to get scythe products, but now it seems ok, although not always on stock, seems they are no longer stocking so many places as they used to. Either way, dont worry too much, Scythe is good mostly because of its price, they do good coolers at affordable prices, but this is not the case in canada, so competitors like Noctua and Be Quiet should be better options given the pricing.

peternm22

Post by peternm22 » Tue Jul 04, 2017 4:58 pm

Abula wrote:Ryzen has been selling really well, and NCIX has always carry noctua, even linus had some fans made for him, so im guessing noctua has good relations with NCIX, i bet they have stock AM4 or can get some pretty fast. Either way noctua service is top notch, i spoke to CM and told them one of my Noctua NF-A14 PWM came unblanced and was doing some noise, they only ask for the invoice, and a new one was ship from them next day, so im guessing NCIX already has something going with them, if not they can ask for the AM4 mount saying they selling one, and in a couple of weeks they should receive it
I just heard back from NCIX. They don't have any Noctua AM4 compatible coolers or upgrade kits in at the moment. They also have no plans (at the moment) to bring any in.

I'm starting to think I should just build the system myself and then I can get parts from any store I need to.

Abula

Post by Abula » Tue Jul 04, 2017 6:37 pm

peternm22 wrote:I'm starting to think I should just build the system myself and then I can get parts from any store I need to.
If you go this route, also consider other retailers besides NCIX, as for example the Noctua NH-U14S is cheaper on newegg.ca, and even sell the Noctua NM-AM4-UxS (in case you want it now or dont want to wait for noctua to ship you one for free or you think they will charge you more in customs).

lodestar

Post by lodestar » Wed Jul 05, 2017 12:40 am

One advantage of Noctua coolers is that there is extensive information about motherboard compatibility, for example the AM4 entries on this page. For other brands such as Scythe and Thermalright this info can be either minimal or non-existent.