Arctic 12 Passive with non-T Celeron G?

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

resistante

Arctic 12 Passive with non-T Celeron G?

Post by resistante » Sat Mar 30, 2019 11:10 am

I'm thinking of buying Arctic Alpine 12 Passive and a full power Celeron G (Haswell, Skylake or Kaby Lake, they are just 0.2/0.3GHz higher clocked than the T 35W versions) and put them in Cooler Master Elite 110 without any fans inside (nothing producing much heat inside, no GPU, some HDD, fanless Seasonic PSU). The T versions aren't an option, because they aren't available.

What thermal performance can I expect? According to https://www.fanlesstech.com/2016/02/arc ... eview.html Celeron G1820T (slowest Haswell version) doesn't exceed recommended temps with this heatsink, but Pentium G3258 (Haswell, there are both slower and faster full power versions) does reach 100C in OCCT.

What I'd like is something similar to my Akasa Euler with i3 3245, it has OK temps in all tasks I perform, but may get somewhat hot (it reaches some ~77C, depends on room temp) when compiling for many hours or stress testing. This is absolutely fine for me.

Do any of the cheapest LGA1150/1151 mini ITX mobos offer underclocking that would allow me to underclock such CPU by that 0.2/0.3GHz?

Abula

Re: Arctic 12 Passive with non-T Celeron G?

Post by Abula » Sat Mar 30, 2019 4:34 pm

You should look into HDPlex and Streacom cases, you cool passively a Pentium fine, even better cpus.

Another option could be a NUK and Akasa fanless case, now there are very nice CPUs on nuks.

Also depending on what you are going to do, maybe something like the new Gemni Lake Silver Celerons could fit the bill, they are low power cpus thus very low TDPS, i think around 10W. Look for the J5005, atm they are more expensive than they should because intel shortage.

resistante

Post by resistante » Sun Mar 31, 2019 12:25 am

I'm only interested in heatsinks and I already have everything else bought.

resistante

Post by resistante » Sun Mar 31, 2019 3:12 am

I can also buy 35W Ivy Bridge Celeron G1610T or Haswell Pentium T. I can buy another non-fanless heatsink and use it without a fan.

What I want to know is how much do the T versions differ thermally and if this heatsink can cool them adequately.