Gonna buy a 3900x which is the MOST silent fan for it?

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

silenceorgtfo

Re: Gonna buy a 3900x which is the MOST silent fan for it?

Post by silenceorgtfo » Thu Oct 31, 2019 12:26 pm

i really could use the extra cores

anyone got a 3900x yet?

lodestar

Post by lodestar » Fri Nov 01, 2019 1:57 am

My local PC retailer is offering two pre-built systems with the 3900x CPU, and also a 3900X CPU/motherboard/cooler bundle deal. In all cases the cooler that is offered is the Corsair Hydro H100x - which seems to me to suggest that air cooling may not be the best option for this processor.

silenceorgtfo

Post by silenceorgtfo » Mon Dec 09, 2019 8:52 pm

anyone got one yet?

nagi

Post by nagi » Tue Dec 10, 2019 12:47 am

Yeah, I have one. I went with a giant custom loop cooler, but it's quite a hothead even with that, unless you crank up the pump and/or the fan speed, which means it's no longer silent.

My main problem is that even with mundane usage, like web browsing, it will spike into the same temperature as with multithreaded gaming.

For the record, I have the following setup:
Asrock x470 taichi ultimate (ABB bios, asrock does not have anything newer for it)
3900X
EK-WB x470 taichi monoblock
360mm+420mm rads
msi sea hawk 2080Ti ek x
D5 pump (limited to 40% IIRC, it has a very nasty sound signature in the midrange, and a quite audible higher range)
Be Quiet 801 case + be quiet fans on the rads

How hot this gets? Well, the exhaust vents (I'm running with both top and front configured as exhausts, while bottom is intake as it's cooler that way) get to a toasty 45-50°C (according to laser thermometer) on prolonged, multi-hour long AAA gaming (Witcher 3, division 2) in a 22-24°C AC'd room.

Also: I too have an R4, and the old NH-D15 fits. Barely, but it does. (see sig for full specs. Also, last time I checked, FD had a clearance in their specifications for max height of tower cooler. IIRC, Noctua also has total height for their coolers, so it's just comparing those two numbers.)

silenceorgtfo

Post by silenceorgtfo » Tue Dec 10, 2019 7:39 pm

nagi wrote:Yeah, I have one. I went with a giant custom loop cooler, but it's quite a hothead even with that, unless you crank up the pump and/or the fan speed, which means it's no longer silent.

My main problem is that even with mundane usage, like web browsing, it will spike into the same temperature as with multithreaded gaming.

For the record, I have the following setup:
Asrock x470 taichi ultimate (ABB bios, asrock does not have anything newer for it)
3900X
EK-WB x470 taichi monoblock
360mm+420mm rads
msi sea hawk 2080Ti ek x
D5 pump (limited to 40% IIRC, it has a very nasty sound signature in the midrange, and a quite audible higher range)
Be Quiet 801 case + be quiet fans on the rads

How hot this gets? Well, the exhaust vents (I'm running with both top and front configured as exhausts, while bottom is intake as it's cooler that way) get to a toasty 45-50°C (according to laser thermometer) on prolonged, multi-hour long AAA gaming (Witcher 3, division 2) in a 22-24°C AC'd room.

Also: I too have an R4, and the old NH-D15 fits. Barely, but it does. (see sig for full specs. Also, last time I checked, FD had a clearance in their specifications for max height of tower cooler. IIRC, Noctua also has total height for their coolers, so it's just comparing those two numbers.)

So it cant be fixed ? how hot does it get while browsing? this is disheartening, i dont want the fan to become noise browsing the internet, thats nuts

my old ass q6000 is 52cº on browsing (but now its winter so hoter on summer)

I dont want to damage the CPU because it runs as if i was doing gaming for 9 hours a day when im just browsing the internet......

flyingsherpa
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by flyingsherpa » Wed Dec 11, 2019 11:18 am

silenceorgtfo wrote: So it cant be fixed ? how hot does it get while browsing? this is disheartening, i dont want the fan to become noise browsing the internet, thats nuts
I have not seen this reported elsewhere, and I've read many reviews. It could be an issue with his particular setup? It's certainly not universal...

There are some popular videos out there showing that a good aircooler is as good as most AIO coolers (but not custom loops), so I wouldn't be wary of using something like a DH-15 on the 3900x.