cpu fan starts spinning fast when open and using chrome

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

nimo11

Re: cpu fan starts spinning fast when open and using chrome

Post by nimo11 » Wed Jul 14, 2021 11:01 am

finally i reconnected the 2 front fans cables from the hub to a syy on board.
the rear fan cable is too short to get to the sys and i didn't find an extension cable of this type at the spare cables i got with the parts.
i may need to buy one or there is another pace i can o connect it.
i will attach photos.
i can see now and control the speed of those i reconnected.
all of the fans are around 500-600 rpm and it sounds good to me.
what happens is that i maybe Accidentally disconnected one of the pmw cables, and don't remember where to connect it back.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

nimo11

Post by nimo11 » Wed Jul 14, 2021 11:06 am

on bios
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Japanese Capacitor

Post by Japanese Capacitor » Wed Jul 14, 2021 11:31 am

Connect rear fan to SYS_FAN1. Alternatively SYS_FAN3 - won't be pretty driven, but - if I'm not wrong - you don't have case with window.

Disconnected 4-pin cable hanging from the hub serves only using this hub. Disconnect also secound cable (one next to it) from the PSU.

You can really set these case fans to constant 30% rpm. I just hear how your case fans speed up and down with this fan curves and temperature changes of 5800X :P

CPU fan curve looks decent, but if you ever hear your cooler, it needs correction.

nimo11

Post by nimo11 » Wed Jul 14, 2021 12:16 pm

the hanging cable does not have any function?
because i remember it was connected.
the same with the one next to him. does not have function?
where are SYS_FAN1, SYS_FAN3? they ate close to the rear fan?
actually i don't hear case fans changing speed.
the cpu curve may need slight change.
sometime i hear it for a shirt moment rise the speed' it happened when i open additional chrome tabs.

nimo11

Post by nimo11 » Wed Jul 14, 2021 12:18 pm

o.k i see those sys om steves diagram .will try to connect to 1

nimo11

Post by nimo11 » Wed Jul 14, 2021 12:49 pm

it was almost mission impossible( as you war me) , but i succeeded to connect rear fan to sys 1.
all 3 case fans are on silent and around 500 rpm.
thanks to you i have now control on most of the things and that's the way i like it.
so now waiting about the hanging cable subject.

Japanese Capacitor

Post by Japanese Capacitor » Wed Jul 14, 2021 12:52 pm

Two fan cables from the hub have their functions when you use the hub.

You have every fan connector shown in your motherboard's manual.

Set also high intervals for case fans.

nimo11

Post by nimo11 » Wed Jul 14, 2021 11:21 pm

yes, thanks for reminding about the intervals.
did it.
leave the control mode on auto?
just curiosity.
why sys 4 is on system 2, and the two others are on system 1?
what is the reason they didn't make the cooler second fan, which is connected to the cpu opt, controllable?

Japanese Capacitor

Post by Japanese Capacitor » Wed Jul 14, 2021 11:48 pm

Control mode is mobo's automatic detection, if 3-pin or 4-pin fan is connected, so automatic choice of way it controls speed of this fan (DC or PWM). Your fans are 3-pin, so mobo's Auto is in fact DC mode. That all means you don't need to switch it. It may be needed to manually switch to PWM, if you ever used fan hub.

I don't understand question about SYS_4; 2 and 1. If you asked about Fan Control Use Temerature Input, set all case fans just how they behave better. It's a choice between fans changing their speed according to changes of temperature of CPU or motherboard (and maybe something else). It really doesn't matter until you don't have serious GPU and play games, but after such upgrade you will just need to experiment with it to see, which way works better with your configuration.

I don't know how they plugged your cooler, but I suspect they used splitter (connected two fans), so your cooler uses one mobo's connector and runs with one fan curve instead of two (one for each fan). If so, don't mess with it.

nimo11

Post by nimo11 » Thu Jul 15, 2021 1:12 am

maybe it does not have any importance but if you look at this photo, the sys 2 control temp input is system 1.
the same is with sys 1.
on sys 4 it says " system2".

about the second cooler fan, my mistake. it does controllable.
it connected not but splitter but to a connection next to the main cooler fan connection, called cpu opt. ( optional).
i set it manually about the same as the first cooler fan.

Japanese Capacitor

Post by Japanese Capacitor » Thu Jul 15, 2021 2:01 am

I don't know what System 1 or 2 mean (maybe it's explained somewhere in your bios). For sure these are parts of motherboard, but which one can't say. You can always set all fans to CPU as it's clear.

Both fans of the cooler are connected separately (using two CPU Cooler connectors)? I would connect them with the splitter you have included with cooler. Fans have different sizes and speeds and bq! for sure chose them rather to work best when connected with the splitter. With setting them to work with two the same fan curves, you mess with bq! choices due to both fans pushing different amounts of air with different force and it somehow affects temperatures.

One thing I forgot to mention: move front fans lower. 5.25 drive frame somehow dicreases upper fan performance and generally such fan works best, if it blows directly on CPU cooler. The same with lower fan as it's better, if it blows more under GPU than just on it - especially when you swtich to some powerful card with the fans. Do it like I did with my rig (you have everything nicely shown in your case manual, if needed):

nimo11

Post by nimo11 » Thu Jul 15, 2021 3:28 am

i have only this spiter.
one connection 4 pins and the other 3.

do you mean lower physically the front fans?
how to do t?

Japanese Capacitor

Post by Japanese Capacitor » Thu Jul 15, 2021 4:11 am

It looks like Dark Rock Pro 4 splitter. Use it.

I mean to lower front fans the same as in photo of my rig. Top fan in default position is largery blocked by 3 centimeters obstruction from 5.25 frame and filter's constrution - it for sure affects cooling, it maybe affects noise. How to do it? As I told you, you have all of the info in your case manual.

https://www.fractal-design.com/wp-conte ... ual-V2.pdf You should have also paper version.

nimo11

Post by nimo11 » Thu Jul 15, 2021 9:14 am

i'll try this splitter.
i don't have upper hard drives , so don't see right now a need to deal with lower the front fan.

Japanese Capacitor

Post by Japanese Capacitor » Thu Jul 15, 2021 9:38 am

Try it.

Moving the front fans doesn't have anything with ,,upper hard drives". Can you see some in my computer? I explained you what for it is, but do or not to whatever you want with your computer ;)

nimo11

Post by nimo11 » Thu Jul 15, 2021 2:35 pm

i se what you mean about upper fan blowing directly to the cpu cooler, and it's make sense.
i'll work for while with the pc as it is, but taking to my account to do it some day.

Japanese Capacitor

Post by Japanese Capacitor » Thu Jul 15, 2021 10:50 pm

Now moving your fans doesn't really matter - if you use or pc only to browse web, you could even uninstall all three with rather zero impact on temperatures ;) Fractal started with Define 7 and continued with Meshify 2 series mounting these fans too high for some reason - only thing, which comes to my mind is stupid like exposing space for third fan and encouraging you to buy such from them. Their mounting doesn't serve CPU and badly affects GPU as some reviews even show.

nimo11

Post by nimo11 » Thu Jul 15, 2021 11:40 pm

i absolutely agree.
it would be better if the upper fan blow directly on the cpu area.
as you said yourself, with my current usage, it's not something i must do right now.
but thanks to you i am aware of this option and it's potential benefit.
so the only thing left is trying the splitter and then keep on working with the pc.
generally i am very pleased with it's performance and silence.
so again thanks for all the help.

Japanese Capacitor

Post by Japanese Capacitor » Thu Jul 15, 2021 11:56 pm

Generally case airflow works best if upper front fan blows directly on CPU cooler and bottom one mostly below GPU, but these are niuances, which can affect more or less your components temperatures as such impact would be different for every configuration. I just like to have everything set the best just because :]

Use this splitter, because it can only work better with it and one less fan curve. Connect the cables as manual shows, plug it into CPU_FAN.

nimo11

Post by nimo11 » Sat Jul 17, 2021 1:34 am

i connected both bq fans to the splitter and from the splitter to the main cooler fan inlet on the board.
what is a bit strange to me is, as you can also see from the splitter photo, that one connection has 4 pins and the other only 3.
when i go to bios the second fan connection who calls opt does not show rpm( since now it's not connected), but the main cpu fan connection show.
i guess/hope that the late one shows both bq fans simultaneously.
i can't see if the second fan (who is hiding inside the cooler) spins. but the temp. are good, so i guess it does .

Japanese Capacitor

Post by Japanese Capacitor » Sat Jul 17, 2021 2:55 am

That lacking pin serves to report speed and using splitter makes two fans seen as one by the computer, so that's why one connection needs to be like that. That's why you have only one fan curve for both fans - they run the same % of their maximum speed, but in fact their speeds are different due to different maximum speeds. System shows you only speed of the one connected to 4-pin splitter's end.

If both fans were working before you used splitter, they for sure work now (assuming that you didn't destroy anything). You can touch the frame of hidden fan and you will maybe feel vibrations or place the hand on to the left side of the cooler to check if air blows thru whole heatsink. You can also use splitter and plug this fan to connector secound fan is now plugged - first you run it 100% speed and check the speed, secound you change them with places and once again run 100% to see, if this speed changed. Better don't remove this fan in case of checking, because installing it when motheboard is in a case is pita. Maybe with Define 7's removable top elements it's not so bad.

EDIT: Now I reminded myself how DRP4 looks like and see that you can just remove case top cover and see if this fan is spinning.

nimo11

Post by nimo11 » Sat Jul 17, 2021 4:15 am

before using the splitter, when each of them were connected to a separate power inlet, both showed rpm on bios.
i don't want to mess with dissemble anything on the bqd4.
best thing to check is as you suggested.
"place the hand on to the left side of the cooler to check if air blows thru whole heatsink"
or
change connections on the splitter and see if the fan that i can see spins.

but i understand that you are saying that using a splitter is the best way.

Japanese Capacitor

Post by Japanese Capacitor » Sat Jul 17, 2021 6:42 am

One fan connector on the motherboard can read and show only rpm of one fan, so using splitters will show speed of one fan no matter how many fans splitter has plugged. Before you used two mobo's connectors.

Best thing is to remove case's top panel as part of this fan will be then visible. All other ways were first thoughts, which came to my mind and all are bigger effort. I just didn't remember well how DRP4 looks like.

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Sat Jul 17, 2021 8:41 am

Fan pinout has a lead for +V, one for ground, one for fan sensor (to read rpm), and one for PWM control (if a PWM fan). Since you can't have one fan connector on the mobo read more than one fan sensor, a splitter will be set up as master/slave. Where, one fan connector will have 4 leads and provide the sensor rpm data to the mobo, and the other just has three (omitting the sensor rpm data).

nimo11

Post by nimo11 » Sat Jul 17, 2021 10:16 am

i understand.
so what will be the speed of the second fan, that does not have the rpm sensor.
will it be same as the first fan?
and why is it better to use splitter compare to connect both to a separate connection that gives the option to see info for both?

Japanese Capacitor

Post by Japanese Capacitor » Sat Jul 17, 2021 10:50 am

nimo11 wrote:
Sat Jul 17, 2021 10:16 am
so what will be the speed of the second fan, that does not have the rpm sensor.
will it be same as the first fan?
Japanese Capacitor wrote:
Sat Jul 17, 2021 2:55 am
They run the same % of their maximum speed, but in fact their speeds are different due to different maximum speeds.
nimo11 wrote:
Sat Jul 17, 2021 10:16 am
and why is it better to use splitter compare to connect both to a separate connection that gives the option to see info for both?
I explained it earlier, but maybe in other words will work with you: be quiet! chose for both fans different speeds for some reason - cooling capabilities and noise for sure. Giving them different fan curves messes with it. Giving them two the same ones doesn't make sense when you can use splitter and do it once - this thing is also for your convenience. It also saves you one connector you don't need to save.

nimo11

Post by nimo11 » Sat Jul 17, 2021 1:35 pm

o.k now it's more clear.
thanks again

Japanese Capacitor

Post by Japanese Capacitor » Sat Jul 17, 2021 11:32 pm

Fine. Finally your computer seems being set acceptably right :]

nimo11

Post by nimo11 » Tue Jul 20, 2021 7:47 am

yes, everything works to my satisfaction.

have a curiosity question.
what is the reason the make the psu with it's fan directed to the floor, and not to the rear of the case.
usually there is not big distance from the psu fan to the floor, which to my opinion makes it not so efficient.

Japanese Capacitor

Post by Japanese Capacitor » Tue Jul 20, 2021 9:03 am

You mean mounting PSU with fan on the bottom or top (upside down)? It's generally better to mount it with fan on the bottom mostly due to then it's filtered, doesn't add heat to the case and pulls fresh air instead of warmer, so cools itself easier - PSU's fan speed works according to thermal sensors inside it, so you want it as cool as possible in terms of quiet operation, but on the other hand with fan on the top it could handle more heat still running passive. That's how it is generally, but there are PSU's e.g. Seasonic ones, which are advised to mount with fan on the top and it's due to combination of their internal layout and semi-passive operation. For sure placing it with fan on the top cooks it somehow less when it works passive, so it adds some reliabiliy, but to my taste it's too theoritical and unmeasurable to bother.
nimo11 wrote:
Tue Jul 20, 2021 7:47 am
usually there is not big distance from the psu fan to the floor, which to my opinion makes it not so efficient.
Why do you think like that? Is your PSU noisy or what? Just don't place it on some high fancy carpet or similar piece of dust and bacteria.