cpu fan starts spinning fast when open and using chrome

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

nimo11

cpu fan starts spinning fast when open and using chrome

Post by nimo11 » Thu Jul 01, 2021 10:16 am

after building new and silent pc thanks to the help from some members here, i noticed that every time i open chrome which is my browser, the cpu fan ( e quiet dark pro 4) starts spinning at max and loud speed.
it also happen sometime while i am browsing.
i checked on task manager and saw that there is not a big usage of the cpu or other things.
after reading other people that complain on the same issue i realized that opening chrome raise up the temperature of one o my cores ( amd Ryzen 5800x) for about 7-8 Celsius , and when it goes beyond 60c it probably starts the cpu fan to go max speed to cool it.
it does not happen to me when i open Microsoft edge, but maybe it's because the edge is empty since i didn't use it , and the chrome is full with staff.
so my options to get rid of this annoying thing are: change browser ( which I'm not so happy to do), or somehow set the cooler fan to start its max speed only at higher temp. if it's possible and if it's safe.

nimo11

Re: cpu fan starts spinning fast when open and using chrome

Post by nimo11 » Thu Jul 01, 2021 11:22 am

i can maybe try something like this:
https://www.google.com/search?q=how+to+ ... b3npfYDA30

Japanese Capacitor

Post by Japanese Capacitor » Thu Jul 01, 2021 11:46 am

That's for sure not these ,,forum members" fault ;)

I suspected, how it's gonna be with you and that's why I proposed you first to build possibly quiet out-of-the-box computer with the same strong, but not damn hot CPU; cooler you wouldn't ever notice or case not needing to plug the fans correctly and further tweak them in bios to just not run max speed all the time. I explained you, how to tweak fans, when you asked about case fans not long ago, so you shouldn't ask today this question. I assume, that you still haven't handled it, so what more can anybody advice you than what I already told you? Just go the bios and change the fan curve.

Maybe you will be lucky and your bios has CPU fan presets to choose on just first screen. It should look like some icon named CPU FAN with few options to choose like: Quiet; Normal; Full Speed. These presets are nothing more like programmed fan curves by Gigabyte's fan curve masters. Just choose quietest one, save and exit. That can make things better, but really important in terms of idle noise and short moments when CPU temp spikes are so called timings/intervals - time after which fan reacts to temperature change. Sadly it's hard to say if presets would include them set nicely and timings are almost for sure hidden in bios deeps - the place where real pros set their own fan curves instead of using never perfect presets. Intevals with cooler work best when both set to few secounds like ~5 and - if I remember well - highest interval possible to set in Gigabyte bios is 3 secounds, so just set it like that. Maybe you will be even more lucky and your mobo's Windows software allows to do all of it.

As you can see, it isn't enough to buy yourself awesome computer to have it cool and quiet, so better become real freaking pro, who go to bios' deeps and set damn fan curves or live with what you have ;)

nimo11

Post by nimo11 » Thu Jul 01, 2021 12:45 pm

first, i am not so sure that the intel you suggested me with 125 wat would run cooler. and i saw it also on benchmarks
second, i don't think that around 60 c for a short time is hot. most of the time it's around 40-45. and we are in the middle of summer.
third, this issue appears only when using chrome. not with other browser.
yes, didn't have yet the time to set case fans , it was not argent since they are quiet. d i pend my time to install an sata ssd drive or storage instead of my old hdd.
the pc works wonderful and i'm sure i'll find solution also for this small issue.
i'll try to look at the bios. and if it will not work for me i'll just switch to another browser.
the internet is full of same complains bout chrome.

edit: the person that assembled the pc told me that he opened what is called xpm, and i actually saw that the cpu rans on 3600mgh while it's formal stock speed is up to 3200.
can be that it's part of the reason?
my ram is 3600

nimo11

Post by nimo11 » Thu Jul 01, 2021 1:00 pm

p.s
the person the assembled the pc told me that he enabled the xmp.
i really see that it runs on 3600mgh , which is my ram max speed, while the stock speed of the cpu is 3200.
do you think that if i disable the xmp and it will run on 3200 can makes thigs better?

Japanese Capacitor

Post by Japanese Capacitor » Thu Jul 01, 2021 1:24 pm

nimo11 wrote:
Thu Jul 01, 2021 12:45 pm
first, i am not so sure that the intel you suggested me with 125 wat would run cooler. and i saw it also on benchmarks
Could you link here these benchmarks?

Your temps are fine and temp spikes with Chrome are normal. I don't use any other browser, so don't know, how with others, but I don't have such problem, because my cooler never reaches speeds I'm just able to hear - during idle or load. And even during harshest for my computer gaming load with the most pushing it games it's able to be like that and keep my CPU below 70C, so way below still fine. That's what creating your own fan curves is for. Coming back to Chrome, opening a lot of tabs is like temp spike guaranteed and you are right, that intesivity of these spikes depends also on ambient temperature. E.g during warm days also such spike can happen and stay for longer while keeping your cooler noisy when just using one tab and watching youtube video - and that scenario sucks hard. Changing browser is an original approach to your issue, but not solving it as it will keep coming back with something other.

I don't understand the part with XMP. What is the problem? Link me your ram. If you want to check if XMP is enabled and which profile is chosen, easiest way is just going to bios. XMP settings should be on first screen.

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Thu Jul 01, 2021 1:29 pm

Changing the RAM speed won't cool down your pc, it'll just run memory intensive apps slower.

Apparently, Ryzen likes to boost fewer cores to high freq instead of spreading the load more. So, little things can spike a single core's temp a bit. As said, check your BIOS' fan profile and see if there's a simple "quiet" setting you can use.

nimo11

Post by nimo11 » Thu Jul 01, 2021 2:46 pm

set the fan curve manually , more flatter up to around 65 c , and things are way better .
also changed interval from 1 to 3.
but the curve setting made the major difference.
can make it even better but first i want to work with it kike this, see if temperatures works in a reasonable range.

nimo11

Post by nimo11 » Thu Jul 01, 2021 2:54 pm

CA_Steve wrote:
Thu Jul 01, 2021 1:29 pm
Changing the RAM speed won't cool down your pc, it'll just run memory intensive apps slower.

Apparently, Ryzen likes to boost fewer cores to high freq instead of spreading the load more. So, little things can spike a single core's temp a bit. As said, check your BIOS' fan profile and see if there's a simple "quiet" setting you can use.
you are totally right Steve.
its' only one core that make the high temperature.
it was already set to "quiet".
as i said the big difference was made by curve setting.
the frustrating thing is that issue happen only with chrome . you can see immediately how this browser rise up the temperature for 7-8 c when open it.
do you recommend to set back the XMP to enabled?

nimo11

Post by nimo11 » Thu Jul 01, 2021 11:59 pm

Japanese Capacitor wrote:
Thu Jul 01, 2021 1:24 pm
nimo11 wrote:
Thu Jul 01, 2021 12:45 pm
Could you link here these benchmarks?

Your temps are fine and temp spikes with Chrome are normal. I don't use any other browser, so don't know, how with others, but I don't have such problem, because my cooler never reaches speeds I'm just able to hear - during idle or load. And even during harshest for my computer gaming load with the most pushing it games it's able to be like that and keep my CPU below 70C, so way below still fine. That's what creating your own fan curves is for. Coming back to Chrome, opening a lot of tabs is like temp spike guaranteed and you are right, that intesivity of these spikes depends also on ambient temperature. E.g during warm days also such spike can happen and stay for longer while keeping your cooler noisy when just using one tab and watching youtube video - and that scenario sucks hard. Changing browser is an original approach to your issue, but not solving it as it will keep coming back with something other.

I don't understand the part with XMP. What is the problem? Link me your ram. If you want to check if XMP is enabled and which profile is chosen, easiest way is just going to bios. XMP settings should be on first screen.
thanks.
i'll start from the end.
my pc is now dead silent while all usage.
before that i checked after every operation with hwmonitor what happen with my temperature.
and it was exactly like Steve said . only one core spikes the for short time the moment i opened chrome, and sometime while browsing with it.
it dose not happened with edge.
it's a known thing that chrome use relatively high recourses.
i noticed the this spike usually goes a bit above 60 c.
the fan was set in bios to "quiet" and the curve of it was to start higher fan speed when crossing 60c.
so i remembered your suggestion on one of your earlier posts and learned a bit on the web how to set this carve to that situation, and it works.
from what i tried, probably going to edge browser would also solve this issue, but i am used to chrome nd starting now al the settings and get used to a new browser is a bit pain in the...
about the xmp , there are two options on bios : "profile 1", and "disabled".
right now i left it on profile 1.

Japanese Capacitor

Post by Japanese Capacitor » Fri Jul 02, 2021 1:17 am

If it's dead silent, it's how it should be. If some cooler noises will happen, set your cooler's fan curve to run constant inaudible speed to the temperature you never reach when browsing. It really doesn't matter, if your CPU runs 40 or 70C. After this temperature move curve up, but most delicately possible. I would never run your cooler faster than 70-80% rpm, because it won't make a noticeable difference in temps, but will add serious noise. Set it like: 0-55C constant ~30% speed (don't know DRP4 numbers, but not faster than 500 rpm) and then just straight line to something like 95C-100% (the highest temperature you are just able to set 100% speed). You can also break such line to make cooler speeding up even more delicately as reasonable LOAD temperature for your CPU is 80C and the goal is to keep it below with the quietest speed possible. Until you won't install some serious GPU and start playing games or won't use any CPU intensive programs, you will never see, how hot is this CPU, so don't bother too much with temperatures ;) With some upgrade or pushing your PC to the limits you will and then experiments with fan curves should come back.

Just choose faster MHz XMP profile, save and exit.

nimo11

Post by nimo11 » Fri Jul 02, 2021 8:10 am

yes, thank you. it was your first advice to use the curve setting ( when i had a dilemma be quiet or noctua) , and it works.
right now everything is fine.
i recently checked carefully if my semi passive psu really does not spin when the fan on low load.
and its also perfect.
right now i don't hear any unusual noise issues from case fans.
i checked yesterday briefly on the bios and saw that there are 3 options for those fans.
if i remember right i was : auto, voltage and pmw .
i will bring here later on photo's and will appreciate to some info about it.
i read that you can use pmw setting only if the fans connected with 4 pins, not 3.
don't know exactly which us mine.

Japanese Capacitor

Post by Japanese Capacitor » Fri Jul 02, 2021 8:32 am

Generally now you can keep this computer just silent all the time and don't worry about thermals. You will worry and experiment with fan curves after getting some powerful GPU or doing something CPU intensive you've never mentioned.

All I want are photos of how case fans are fan hub are plugged (you know, this thing on the top behind the mobo with six 3-pin and three 4-pin fan connectors and two other cables I'm interested at). Then I'll be able to tell you, what is best to do. Don't bother with this 3-pin or 4-pin thing. Btw not long ago I tried to explain that to similar one to you, Steve added something too and we rather failed, so don't expect to find answer here and treat it as something you don't need :D

nimo11

Post by nimo11 » Fri Jul 02, 2021 8:34 am

btw, moving to sata ssd drive for storage , instead my older hdd, made a Huge difference in speed and silence.

nimo11

Post by nimo11 » Fri Jul 02, 2021 8:38 am

Japanese Capacitor wrote:
Fri Jul 02, 2021 8:32 am
Generally now you can keep this computer just silent all the time and don't worry about thermals. You will worry and experiment with fan curves after getting some powerful GPU or doing something CPU intensive you've never mentioned.

All I want are photos of how case fans are fan hub are plugged (you know, this thing on the top behind the mobo with six 3-pin and three 4-pin fan connectors and two other cables I'm interested at). Then I'll be able to tell you, what is best to do. Don't bother with this 3-pin or 4-pin thing. Btw not long ago I tried to explain that to similar one to you, Steve added something too and we rather failed, so don't expect to find answer here and treat it as something you don't need :D
i don't have too much expectations and appreciate all your help till now.
will try to bring photos later on, hopping i understood your meaning.

Japanese Capacitor

Post by Japanese Capacitor » Fri Jul 02, 2021 8:51 am

This fan hub is it's own story and isn't really worth to explain. In the end of the day all you want is to make your fans work how you want and I know how to do it ;)

nimo11

Post by nimo11 » Mon Jul 05, 2021 10:44 am

hi, finally took the suggested photos.
from what i see the case fans connected with 3 pins.
correct me if i'm wrong but from what i read with 3 pins you cannot control fan speed.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

nimo11

Post by nimo11 » Mon Jul 05, 2021 10:46 am

from what i see the case fans connected with 3 pins.
correct me if i'm wrong but from what i read with 3 pins you cannot control fan speed.

nimo11

Post by nimo11 » Mon Jul 05, 2021 10:48 am

this is on bios.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Japanese Capacitor

Post by Japanese Capacitor » Mon Jul 05, 2021 11:30 am

nimo11 wrote:
Mon Jul 05, 2021 10:46 am
Case fans are plugged correctly. Using connectors next to each other can be a pita when unplugging them, but there's always something to complain :D
Now the question about three cables on the right (4-pin) side of hub:

Starting from the left, what is this 4-pin fan connector? My only suspect is the cooler, but it doesn't look like Dark Rock Pro 4 fan splitter and I can't see it's sleeved cables, but maybe that's just a photo. Tell me where it goes or send a photo.

Two other cables left. One needs to be plugged to PSU (SATA), secound to motherboard's SYS_FAN header. Once again tell me or photo.

You can help yourself with mobo's manual, page 4: https://download.gigabyte.com/FileList/ ... 0326_e.pdf
nimo11 wrote:
Mon Jul 05, 2021 10:44 am
Once again you read some bs on the internet ;) And earlier I told you opposite, so stop once again confronting my words with bs you read on the internet.

nimo11

Post by nimo11 » Mon Jul 05, 2021 1:02 pm

i checked it by disconnecting to see which one are the case fans connections and all of them were 3 pins.

Japanese Capacitor

Post by Japanese Capacitor » Mon Jul 05, 2021 1:07 pm

I doesn't matter, just do what I told you :)

nimo11

Post by nimo11 » Mon Jul 05, 2021 1:15 pm

i dont understand what you are asking

nimo11

Post by nimo11 » Mon Jul 05, 2021 1:17 pm

i dont understand what you are asking

Japanese Capacitor

Post by Japanese Capacitor » Mon Jul 05, 2021 1:20 pm

All of the cables coming from hub except of case fans. I want to see, where they are plugged. You tell me or send the photo.

nimo11

Post by nimo11 » Mon Jul 05, 2021 1:34 pm

i hope it this

nimo11

Post by nimo11 » Mon Jul 05, 2021 1:54 pm

i made some test now.
because there is some kind of quiet buzzing frequency noise that comes from the pc.
i disconnected all 3 case fans and realized that it comes from the dark 4.
nothing to do with it's speed.
so i guess i cant do any thing about it

Japanese Capacitor

Post by Japanese Capacitor » Mon Jul 05, 2021 11:59 pm

To be honest these photos don't tell me anything more. I still don't know, where cables I asked you before are connected.

Let's make it easier and leave it, forget about using fan hub as it's possible to control these case fans without it. Disconnect case fans from the hub and connect each to individual SYS_FAN connectors (mobo's instruction if needed). That should do the job without any other tweaking and give you opportunity to control each fan individually.

I told you everything is here to tell, so basing on what I told you in previous posts, in your previous thread or wherever, you have to handle this problem by yourself, because I gave you all needed instructions and I won't be repeating anything I told again.

EDIT: Forgot about the buzzing noise. Hard to say, what is your ,,buzzing", but what comes to my mind from my own experience with these fans is the one of them is faulty. Some time ago I ordered three Silent Wings 3 fans and before mounting them in my pc I connected all of them to check with looking for any problems. One of them was just buzzing on any speed (similarly to some insects do) and it was rather loud enough to be heareable outside the case. Due to comparison to two others for sure it was faulty. I just returned it to the shop. I you have the same problem, I would remove this fan from the cooler, record a video and send to be quiet! - maybe they are nice enough to send you replacement. It's worth to try before RMA it in the shop you bought it.

nimo11

Post by nimo11 » Tue Jul 06, 2021 1:05 am

after checking again , by disconnecting everything, including the dark 4, i realize that that buzz comes from the psu, even when its fan does not spinning.
it probably some kind of electronic noise.
it's no so loud but it's kind of frequency that drive me crazy.
i am in dilemma if to go with thing to the place they assemble the pc and ask them to check it.
as fear as i see case fans are not a issue to me right now.

nimo11

Post by nimo11 » Tue Jul 06, 2021 1:11 am

i'm bringing it to them, but from what he told me on the phone i'm skeptical if they will do something.