cpu fan starts spinning fast when open and using chrome

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Japanese Capacitor

Re: cpu fan starts spinning fast when open and using chrome

Post by Japanese Capacitor » Tue Jul 06, 2021 1:34 am

Can you hear this PSU buzz without need to open the case and listen for it?

If so, it's must be really loud and you probably mean ,,coil whine":

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_ ... coil+whine

It can happen, there's no way to avoid it however great PSU you buy, but from what Corsair told me, their warranty covers it. Emailing Corsair with sending them video may be the best way to deal with the problem.

nimo11

Post by nimo11 » Wed Jul 07, 2021 4:56 am

sorry for the delay , my pc was all day yesterday at the technician of the store i bought from.
looks like they really tried but as i suspected they didn't found anything that to their words they can demand from the distributer to replace the item.
actually i don't think it's exactly whining, because it's a relatively silent noise that does not effected by something i do on the pc.
they run the pc with load to see it there is whining and said they couldn't hear one.
it's a constant noise with a frequency that maybe bothers me but not others.
as i said, to check it i disabled all fans , the fan of the psu didn't spine, and i steel could hear it.
kind of electronic frequency noise.
but now, as i'm thinking, it can be also from the board.
so i guess I'll need to live with it and if it will become worst ( which i hope not) I'll touch the store again.
it has 5 years warranty.
and maybe my expectations for silence from a pc are Exaggerated.

Japanese Capacitor

Post by Japanese Capacitor » Wed Jul 07, 2021 5:44 am

Simple question which should determine what you'll do. Can you hear it sitting next to computer as you use to seat? Without any combinations like leaning toward it or decoupling side panels, but with, let's say, top panel removed as it can get needed someday (btw if you use solid top, remove filter below - I find my pc even quieter then).

If so, don't leave it like that! You bought this damn computer spending your money on higher-end parts to ensure yourself being satisfied, not kinda.

Type of noise you describe is almost for sure coil whine, because I don't see with your configuration any other options than it and woosh of fans moving air. Coil whine may come from PSU, GPU or mobo. If you're not sure where it comes from, roll the sheet of paper, stick to your ear - it will help you to localize it.

If that's PSU, I would first ask Corsair before doing anything other. If that's mobo, you make a complaint and don't care what guys from Plonter say. I suspect that your computer in terms of law-connected things is something more complicated, because I assume Plonter guys were buying components from other shops and maybe between you and Plonter is some additional contract. Due to that I suspect your complaint would be pita for them (or just no-money-making additional thing to do) and that's why they would try to discourage you from it.

Don't forget to educate yourself in terms of your country law and possible opportunites it gives you. E.g. in Poland our law always give you 2-year warranty for bought item (new, from registered bussiness), even if producer of item doesn't give it. That means that, let's say, Gigabyte's motherboard has it's own warranty, but also secound two-years long one given by polish law and always better for consumer to choose. Better because, if you RMA this board with producer's warranty, you rely on producer's verdict. If you RMA it with one given by polish law, dealing with Gigabyte is store's thing you don't care, because your RMA is store's problem and what best is you can choose the way it will be solved if accepted - repaired, replaced with new or money returned.

nimo11

Post by nimo11 » Wed Jul 07, 2021 11:00 am

thanks.
i think that that 2 years warranty is a law all over europium union.
as for your question, it's not a loud noise but it's still annoying me, maybe because i'm sensitive to that frequency.
i decided to continue to research it.
my plan is to disable/remove one by one components.
every thing external that connected to the pc.
al my drives.
fans.
and finally maybe to dissemble the psu from the pc and connect it to the wall power and see if it's the one that make that noise.
only after i'll find the "criminal" i'll can demand from plonter

Japanese Capacitor

Post by Japanese Capacitor » Wed Jul 07, 2021 11:52 am

Don't bother with removing everything one by one. Start with unplugging the case fans and cooler. If noise is still here, you have only three suspects: mobo, PSU or GPU. The best way to move forward from here would be to swap PSU, which I bet you don't have spare. Definiety don't buy new one to do it, you can try to RMA yours, but don't be surprised, if problem will comback even after such change. I have never had problems with coil whine or interest in this topic, so I won't tell you much about dealing with it, but to my taste that's what Plonter guys should have done instead of pretending that nothing wrong with it. Stop playing nice with them and just demand solving the issue instead, really ;)

nimo11

Post by nimo11 » Wed Jul 07, 2021 12:24 pm

on my previous check i already unplugged case fans and cooler, and also completely removed my gpu.
and still had that noise
but to be sure ill do it again.
actually i have a spare psu, its from my older pc.
enermax 550w which i bought years ago . it was one of the recommendations on SPCR.
the thing is that the one i have now is fully modular, so its relatively not difficult to remove it, and the enarmax is semi modular .

Japanese Capacitor

Post by Japanese Capacitor » Wed Jul 07, 2021 12:38 pm

Your checks are great - now we have only two suspects: mobo or PSU.

I generally think that you are not the the person, who should deal with it, but fine - try older PSU. You don't have to remove RMx, just unplug it's cables and plug Enermax ones without installing it in the case.

nimo11

Post by nimo11 » Wed Jul 07, 2021 1:49 pm

actually when i was there today in their laboratory, one of them suggested to try installing another same model psu, but they didn't have at that moment this one in stock.
above that, you can't hear that kind of noise in the laboratory with people there.
it's something that you can hear only at home in a silent environment.
so i'll have find the definitive reason by myself.

Japanese Capacitor

Post by Japanese Capacitor » Wed Jul 07, 2021 11:23 pm

I generally don't like how Plonter guys approach it. It looks to me like they from the beginning (phone talk) want to get rid of your problem, not solve it. It's one of the moments, when you see real quality of store, because when you're spending money everybody is nice. That's why I recommended you to buy directly from the biggest stores and don't care about having twenty items on shelves Plonter guys you just have had good experience with. Biggest stores don't mind returns of defective items ending even giving money back and are generaly more tolerant and accessible. If something is for sure defective, they just don't make problems due to valuing more your client experience and you not spamming internet with how bad is X store. Another thing is how likely is given manufacturer to accept RMA connected to coil whine, bigger stores also have better contact with them, but that really doesn't matter as you just should use your right to RMA.

Try this Enermax as I told you and we should have everything clear :]

nimo11

Post by nimo11 » Thu Jul 08, 2021 7:55 am

there are no big stores in Israel like it in the usa or Europe.
actually plonter is one of the biggest and with relatively good reputation.
other can be worth.
i checked everything i could.
disconnected all fans , ssd's and gpu, even removed the NVMe ssd from the board.
the only thing i was afraid to do is to connect my older enermax psu since it's no modular and i was not sure i can make the right connections.
it steel have kind of a buzzing whistle that driving me crazy, even if it's kind of faint.
i can't definitely say if it comes from the mobo or the psu.
i'm going to demand plonter to connect another psu nd check if it's the psu or the board.

Japanese Capacitor

Post by Japanese Capacitor » Thu Jul 08, 2021 8:35 am

I don't know how you imagine big store, but when helping you in your first thread I searched for some (not really long) and to my taste https://www.topmarket.co.il/en/ is such example. Plonter compared to them looks like your nearby computer repair bussiness handled by two workers, but if they are big, fine - I was never interested in israeli hardware market. With example of how they help you with your problem you know the best how it is with their reputation.

I told you something about sheet of paper, but it doesn't matter much. Looking how they "helped" you and how much you did already yourself I woud personally leave them for a while and solve it yourself in case of them being waste of time again. Don't worry with connecting old PSU, you have everything nicely shown in your mobo and case manuals:

https://download.gigabyte.com/FileList/ ... 0326_e.pdf
https://www.fractal-design.com/wp-conte ... ual-V2.pdf

Only five things to replace: ATX12V; ATX; Fractal's fan hub (SATA cable); GPU and your SSD (the same SATA as fan hub). After all you did, you won't have any problems with it ;)

nimo11

Post by nimo11 » Thu Jul 08, 2021 10:34 am

i will first ask them to connect another psu and see how it will effect.
i believe they will do it.
my enermax still connected inside the old pc and it looks to me a bit complicated to do the switch.
any way i have not intention to give up on this issue .
as you said, i paid very nice money for it and i don't have to agree living with that defect.
even if at the end it'll be to replace the mobo .

nimo11

Post by nimo11 » Thu Jul 08, 2021 10:35 am

unfortunately the don't work on Friday and Saturday , so i will contact them on Sunday.

Japanese Capacitor

Post by Japanese Capacitor » Thu Jul 08, 2021 11:58 am

Just watch one video in type of ,,how to buid a pc" and you will see, how easy is just everything. It's all easy to the point when I can't decide what is the easiest, but I would type these PSU cables.

Anyway it's great that you are determined to deal with the problem!

nimo11

Post by nimo11 » Sun Jul 11, 2021 5:11 am

SOLVED!
brought the pc to plonter.
generally they were ok and wanted to replace to a new psu instead the one i have now.
but i didn't want doing it before we determine exactly the noise source.
who knows if i will not get a worth psu.
i asked them first to disconnect everything and listen.
Due to my lack of knowledge ,when i disconnected the hard drives i did it only from where they were connected to the sata on the mobo.
but the told me that that it's only the data connection and does not stop it working, and i should disconnect the power cable.
when they disconnect the power from my old hdd the noise i was talking about stopped.
so it was the hdd.
i use it only for backup and i thought that if i not making any activity with it i'll be totally silent, but appear to be that it's not.
now i disconnected it.

Japanese Capacitor

Post by Japanese Capacitor » Sun Jul 11, 2021 5:35 am

Great it's solved :]

No problem with your computer anymore? Have you managed to control these case fans?

nimo11

Post by nimo11 » Sun Jul 11, 2021 8:31 am

decided not to deal with it right now.
i don't hear any disturbing noise, and when i look at the case fans looks that they don't spinning very fast , looks like around 1000 rpm.
the truth is that i didn't quiet understand how to do it with 3 pin fans.

Japanese Capacitor

Post by Japanese Capacitor » Sun Jul 11, 2021 8:58 am

1000 rpm is their maximum speed :D

I told you not to care about 3-pin/4-pin difference. All you need to know is 4-pin fans tend to be able to reach lower minimum speeds than 3-pin ones. But Define 7 ones are fine in terms of that - it's possible to slow them down to just inaudible level, but how much you can slow them also depends on the chosen motherboard.

I explained you, how to control them. The easiest way to control them needs you to unplug them from the hub and just plug them to individual SYS_FAN connectors on your motherboard. Then you will be able to adjust their speed the same as you did with CPU cooler. Going this way gives you option to control speed of each fan idividually (one fan curve for one fan). Going with the hub is more complicated, but doable and gives option to control all with one fan curve as e.g. I do.

nimo11

Post by nimo11 » Sun Jul 11, 2021 9:16 am

i will be happy to have this option/
i'm just not sure i know your meaning for "unplug them from the hub"/
when you say hub you mean their connection to the psu?
cause now each of them are connected separately to the 3 pin power connection on the back of the case.
also what do you mean by "individual SYS_FAN connectors"?
maybe i need to se video to understand.

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Sun Jul 11, 2021 9:45 am

If the case fans are connected to the motherboard, you can use the bios software or gigabyte's windows s/w to control the fan curves. Here are the places on the motherboard where you can connect them. Note, that while the motherboard connectors are 4-pin and your fans are 3-pin, there is only one way they'll let you plug them in (w/o brute force).
B550 Aorus Pro AX case fans.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Japanese Capacitor

Post by Japanese Capacitor » Sun Jul 11, 2021 9:51 am

SYS_FAN connectors - connector on your motherboard, where you plug the fan. Then fan works and you are able to change it's speed.

https://download.gigabyte.com/FileList/ ... 0326_e.pdf 14th page

fan hub - this thing on the photo below. You plug here fans and they are treated by computer as one fan. It means that if you want to change the speed of your three case fans, you don't need to do it one after another (so three times), but only once.

unplug from hub - according to your photos you have your case fans plugged into hub.

I can help you with that, but you have to choose - you want to use fan hub or you want to use idividual fan connectors. If hub, guide with finger, where are plugged all three cables I gave number below and take photos. One photo for one cable. Also take a photo of how CPU cooler is plugged, because I can't see clearly on your previous one. You can remove case top panel to make it easier.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

nimo11

Post by nimo11 » Sun Jul 11, 2021 10:40 am

o.k thank you both.
now it's more clear.
so i see that now they are connected to the hub.
i'll deal with it tomorrow.
tonight i'm with the euro football final :)

nimo11

Post by nimo11 » Sun Jul 11, 2021 10:52 am

this process is a real school for me.
i learned a lot.
appreciate so much your help and patient.

Japanese Capacitor

Post by Japanese Capacitor » Sun Jul 11, 2021 12:02 pm

Fine, I'm watching final too and laugh everytime I see Mancini due to he seems to me looking younger than when I used to watch every Inter's match back in mid 00's :D

One thing about photo with numbers I uploaded, which may be not clear as I look at it now: with number 1 I meant this 4-pin connector next to 2 and 3, not crossing the line case's 3-pin fan cable.

nimo11

Post by nimo11 » Mon Jul 12, 2021 1:44 am

so let me see if i understood right.
disconnect the 3 pins cables from the hub, where they are connected now, and connect the same cables to the SYS_FAN connectors like it on stave's diagram?

Japanese Capacitor

Post by Japanese Capacitor » Mon Jul 12, 2021 2:27 am

Exactly. I only would avoid SYS_FAN1 header if it's pita due to your mobo's heatsink, but if no problem, it would be really handy with plugging here rear fan.

Going with individual fan connectors instead of using hub is to me worse option. E.g. I keep my case fans on constant (0-99C) inaudible speed and with motherboard software I switch them to constant full speed before gaming. Thanks to using hub I switch all with one move, without hub I would need to do it three times. But if you don't plan to switch them like me, but just create fan curves with fans starting to run faster when CPUs gets hotter, you won't benefit from using fan hub. But be prepared for irritating hearing fans changing speeds due to working according to fan curve what sucks when e.g. webrowsing and it will suck the worse as it can thanks to 5800X nature. For now you could create extremaly lazy fan curves or go with constant one as mine, but with future strong GPU upgrade it won't be possible create fan curve offering always silence during webbrowsing and always adequate cooling during load to keep other components cool and quiet.

nimo11

Post by nimo11 » Mon Jul 12, 2021 5:41 am

so i am a bit in dilemma with it. "prepared for irritating hearing fans changing speeds due to working according to fan curve"
because now the case fans are constant speed and don't hear anything that bothers me.
after connecting the fans to the SYS can i make with the bios a constant speed that i will choose, or it will work only with curve?

nimo11

Post by nimo11 » Mon Jul 12, 2021 5:45 am

so if you can set the speed when it on the hub means you have 4 pins on your fans?

Japanese Capacitor

Post by Japanese Capacitor » Mon Jul 12, 2021 6:09 am

After connecting the fans to SYS_FANs you will be able to create fan curve. You should be able to make it just flat line giving you constant speed. You will need to create such for every connector used to plug case fans, so three fans = three fan curves (remember what were the numbers of these connectors).

nimo11

Post by nimo11 » Mon Jul 12, 2021 7:49 am

ok great