New Thermalright ALX-800 (aluminum SLK-800)

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

OrangeCat

New Thermalright ALX-800 (aluminum SLK-800)

Post by OrangeCat » Thu Nov 13, 2003 4:07 pm

I'd like to see one of these on the SPCR bench...

http://www.thermalright.com/a_page/main ... alx800.htm

DanceMan

Post by DanceMan » Thu Nov 13, 2003 4:42 pm

Auminum fins, but that's a triangle of copper down the middle at the bottom.

OrangeCat

Post by OrangeCat » Thu Nov 13, 2003 4:48 pm

Right. It is a hybrid copper/aluminum HS.

I'm curious about the performance of this HS. It doesn't actually seem too much cheaper than the SLK-800, but I'm starting to think that the ALX will replace the SLK-800A in the lineup, since very few stores seem to even stock the SLK-800A anymore.

douglas

Post by douglas » Thu Nov 13, 2003 6:01 pm

It seems to be about the same price, and it is only 120gm lighter. I mean al is fine for a heat sink, at room temp and above it not that much different that cu, but cu is better, if only a little bit better. But if it is the same price, and not dramatically lighter...

But it looks like the slk800a has been dropped for this one. Instead there is the slk800u, and the slk900a. Not that there is that big a diff, but it is nice to get the 'a' for amd instead of the 'u' since it is easier to mount.

I wonder if someone could compare temps between a slk and alx 800a and see what is the difference in use?

Bean

Post by Bean » Thu Nov 13, 2003 6:17 pm

Overclockers did one but using a delta fan http://www.overclockers.com/articles845/

ez2remember
Friend of SPCR

Post by ez2remember » Thu Nov 13, 2003 6:26 pm

I would like to see the Aluminium version bigger with more fins. I personally think the Thermalright range would rock, if it was similar size/dimensions to those Alphas, Swiftech or Zalman models.

When you see these HS in real, it just a narrow strip rather than a real big block of cooling power. only about ~1/3 to 1/2 of the fan airflow actually goes through the fins, where this could be improved to 100% with wider HS. 59mm width = 21mm or more (depending fan size) airflow not going though the fins + the fan hub in the middle has no airflow. The only airflow going through the fins are the are the top/bottom of the fan which is <50%. Just my little rant about the Thermalright heatsink, where there is tons of room for improvement.

EDIT: Have noticed in the review it looks very wide but it's not. Very deceptive angle..

OrangeCat

Post by OrangeCat » Thu Nov 13, 2003 6:56 pm

http://www.svc.com/soca4cool.html

They are only 5 bucks cheaper than the 900A at SVC, yet the official Thermalright price list quotes a $20 difference in prices(29.95 bare ALX-800, 49.95 bare SLK-900).

http://www.thermalright.com/a_page/main ... e_list.htm

Interesting.

SometimesWarrior
Patron of SPCR

Post by SometimesWarrior » Thu Nov 13, 2003 8:51 pm

OrangeCat wrote:They are only 5 bucks cheaper than the 900A at SVC, yet the official Thermalright price list quotes a $20 difference in prices(29.95 bare ALX-800, 49.95 bare SLK-900).
Actually, if you order the 900a with the coupon code "vf900a", it's only $20. So the hybrid heatsinks are 5 bucks more expensive at SVC! ;)

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Re: New Thermalright ALX-800 (aluminum SLK-800)

Post by Ralf Hutter » Fri Nov 14, 2003 5:26 am

OrangeCat wrote:I'd like to see one of these on the SPCR bench...

http://www.thermalright.com/a_page/main ... alx800.htm
I think there's one on the way to SPCR Labs right now.

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Fri Nov 14, 2003 7:13 am

digitX wrote:How about Thermalright SP-94? Rumor has it that this brick can run P4-2.4Ghz in passive for more than an hour ...
How?

Rumor from where?

The P4 2.4C puts out 66 watts!

In this review the SP-94 and the SLK900U perform almost identically with a quiet, low flow Papst fan and the SP-94 only cools about 3°C more than the SLK900U when used with one of those hellacious Tornado fans. There's no way that kind of performance (compared to the SLK900U) would encourage me to try this HSF in a passive mode with a 2.4 P4.

lenny
Patron of SPCR

Post by lenny » Fri Nov 14, 2003 12:09 pm

Ralf Hutter wrote:
digitX wrote:How about Thermalright SP-94? Rumor has it that this brick can run P4-2.4Ghz in passive for more than an hour ...
Rumor from where?
As of now, from www.silentpcreview.com forums :-)

As for how, I can think of a few methods:

1. Very low ambient temperature (winter in Minnesota with windows open?)
2. High airflow in case, especially if channeled over heat sink
3. CPU throttling by P4 (thermal sensor clock modulation)
4. CPU at 0% load

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Fri Nov 14, 2003 12:45 pm

lenny wrote:
Ralf Hutter wrote:
Rumor from where?

As for how, I can think of a few methods:

1. Very low ambient temperature (winter in Minnesota with windows open?)
2. High airflow in case, especially if channeled over heat sink
3. CPU throttling by P4 (thermal sensor clock modulation)
4. CPU at 0% load
None (except for maybe option #1, if you live somewhere cold enough and don't mind wearing a parka when you use your computer) are practical though. :)

chylld

Post by chylld » Fri Nov 14, 2003 1:44 pm

ez2remember wrote:When you see these HS in real, it just a narrow strip rather than a real big block of cooling power. only about ~1/3 to 1/2 of the fan airflow actually goes through the fins, where this could be improved to 100% with wider HS. 59mm width = 21mm or more (depending fan size) airflow not going though the fins + the fan hub in the middle has no airflow. The only airflow going through the fins are the are the top/bottom of the fan which is <50%. Just my little rant about the Thermalright heatsink, where there is tons of room for improvement.
I think it's a fundamental problem with the arrangement of the fins in the Thermalright heatsink. They just aren't suited to the airflow delivered by a radial fan. You need a couple of those sideways fans, like the old NoiseControl Silverado...

On the other hand, look at the design for the CNPS7000 - in my opinion, that is the perfect shape for a heatsink that uses a radial fan - ALL of the airflow delivered by the fan is being used effectively.

I'd like to see:

1) Someone using the Silverado-style fans on a Thermalright HS, and/or
2) Thermalright having a go at a CNPS7000-style HS :)

lenny
Patron of SPCR

Post by lenny » Fri Nov 14, 2003 2:18 pm

Ralf Hutter wrote:None (except for maybe option #1, if you live somewhere cold enough and don't mind wearing a parka when you use your computer) are practical though. :)
I totally agree. Just like those liquid nitrogen overclockers. Sure, you can run it at 5 GHz, as long as you're not using it for anything useful. I'm just speculating on how someone can get away with claims like "able to run with passive CPU cooling".

chylld

Post by chylld » Fri Nov 14, 2003 4:50 pm

digitX wrote:Please allow me to apologize again for my misreading this morning. It is not my intention to challenge anyone's knowledge. Let alone upset people. Please forgive a rookie's mistake.

While we're on the subject, I have something to ask. I often heard that manufactures like Dell or IBM pushes their boxes near thermal limits. What are those limits? What temp won't melt CPU (downgrad speed) or fry MB? Most of those silicon can take quite a bit beating. Moreover, hardly anyone keeps their PC fixed in spec over 3 years. Life span shouldn't be a problem. So, how far can we stretch/stress those chips?
No worries. Sometimes it takes a bit of far-fetchedness to spark the imagination and make better products :)

I think the temperature roof for AMD XP cpu's is around 75C, but most people aren't comfortable running it above 50C. Not sure about P4...

DanceMan

Post by DanceMan » Fri Nov 14, 2003 5:33 pm

digitX wrote:Btw, how come no one hang their fans (CPU heatsink) the other way around any more? I mean instead of pushing air against CPU, pulling air away from it. Is it because the surrounding components get too hot these days?
Pushing usually gives a little lower temps, I think.

And I cooked a fan on an unusual triangular HS with fans on each side. The upper fan cooked on lan unoverclocked T-Bird 1.1G.

chylld

Post by chylld » Fri Nov 14, 2003 5:46 pm

I'm not sure about MB and case temperatures but I think around 35-40C is ok.

The main temperature thing that you want to take note of is the HDD temperature. I for one am totally uncomfortable running the HDD beyond 50C, let alone 45 or even 40C. If your hard drive gets too hot it's more likely to fail and when it does, you've lost a lot of data. (If your CPU burns up you can just buy a new one.)

But to answer your question, no it is not the weakest link; in fact they aren't really linked at all. As long as your case temp isn't excessively high, then CPU temps and HDD temps are relatively separate, and are tackled in separate ways.