Zalman and NF7-S 2.0- warn pictures

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Pigpen

Post by Pigpen » Tue Dec 16, 2003 3:04 am

Silvervarg

Did I miss something? I didn't read that anyone had actually tried this on an nForce2 IGP. I wrote that I have it on an nForce board with integrated graphics, but that is not an nForce2 board. Perhaps you read to much in between the lines.

You are correct I did imagine a 2 in your post. :oops:
I am glad to see that this config works in "similar" setups, because I REALLY don't want to leave the 40mm fan on there.

Ex22

Post by Ex22 » Tue Dec 16, 2003 10:51 pm

silvervarg wrote:What CPU?
Will you overclock?
Is price an issue? (I guess it is)
Where do you live?

Basicly we are talking about 3 setups with different cooling efficiency and different price, so it is a balance of price vs performance.
AMD 2500
-Not overclocking and most likely wont.
-Price is not really an issue but I'd rather go with the best option for the price
-Live in Vancouver, got access to both Frontier and NCIX

silvervarg

Post by silvervarg » Wed Dec 17, 2003 1:32 am

Ex22:
-Thermalright ALK-800 + Panaflo
-Zalman 7000a ALCu
-Artic cooling copper silent 2 RT (rev. 2)
Since you got the NF7-S board without onboard graphics, you don't need to cool the NB much. So you will do fine with a passive Zalman heatsink on it.

The copper silent 2 is the budget choice, and it will work fine with cooling the CPU. However it will not cool the NB heatsink much, but assuming you have some slight airflow in the chassi you will be fine.

Since money is not that critical I would suggest that you go for the 7000A-AlCu. It is a much better cooler, and you will do fine to run it constantly on 5V, so it should be inaudiable. It will also cool the NB considerably, so you are sure to do fine there as well. I would consider going for the 32mm NB heatsink to lower the amount of work. You will have plenty of more cooling than you need for the NB anyway.

silvervarg

Post by silvervarg » Fri Dec 19, 2003 12:54 am

Just noticed something interesting about nForce2 and IGP.
Looking at AOpen AK79G-1394 for instance. They use nForce2 and IGP with only a passive heatsink on the northbridge.
The same goes for the rest of the AK79 series (all with nForce2 and IGP).

Seeing that one manufacturer think it is enough with passive cooling for this setup it should be enough regardless of what manufacturers board you get since it is exactly the same chipset.

aston

Post by aston » Sun Jan 25, 2004 7:44 pm

silvervarg wrote:
Ex22:
I've got a nf7-s v2 as well, with not a lot of room between the edge of the MB and the PSU (2.5 cm). How much space would you think is needed to clear the Zalman Heatsink?
According to Zalmans measurement specs you should get about 15mm overhang on the NF7-S board. So you have plenty of margin there.
Thanks silvervarg, but how did you come up with this figure? I.e. how do you know exactly how far down the motherboard the CPU socket is?

15mm is quite a bit... and actually, Netgo's pics make it look like it needs more than that. I don't know if I've got that much space. :(

Mats

Post by Mats » Sun Jan 25, 2004 8:34 pm

15mm is quite a bit... and actually, Netgo's pics make it look like it needs more than that. I don't know if I've got that much space.
Just check it out! You need a maximum radius of 55 mm (less at the base) from the center of the socket.

http://www.zalman.co.kr/english/product ... a-alcu.htm

aston

Post by aston » Mon Jan 26, 2004 2:18 am

Yes, but how does he know it's 15mm from the edge of the NF7-S motherboard specifically?

silvervarg

Post by silvervarg » Mon Jan 26, 2004 3:01 am

Yes, but how does he know it's 15mm from the edge of the NF7-S motherboard specifically?
What I wrote was:
According to Zalmans measurement specs you should get about 15mm overhang on the NF7-S board.
So this is based on Zalmans specs and quick measurements on the NF7 board. I don't have an 7000A cooler, so I can't do any precise measurements, but someone with that cooler should be able to measure exactly how many mm it overhangs their board.

netgo

Post by netgo » Mon Jan 26, 2004 3:15 am

Recently I bought a7n8x-vm400 mb which uses IGP. And it has heatsink on NB.

I changed my psu to 270W instead of installed one. With PSU shell, I cannot utilize this heatsink. So, naked is a must.

silvervarg

Post by silvervarg » Mon Jan 26, 2004 4:13 am

Netgo:
I changed my psu to 270W instead of installed one. With PSU shell, I cannot utilize this heatsink. So, naked is a must.
Could you please measure how many mm the 7000A overhangs the motherboard?
What chassi do you use?
How many mm do you have between motherboard and chassi if you would have the PSU cover on?

netgo

Post by netgo » Mon Jan 26, 2004 4:24 am

silvervarg wrote: Could you please measure how many mm the 7000A overhangs the motherboard?
What chassi do you use?
Any case will fit. I am using chassis for microATX board (my new project). Very small case, but found no problem.

The distance between your PSU and heatsink, it really depends on your case and CPU soket location.

aston

Post by aston » Mon Jan 26, 2004 1:01 pm

netgo wrote:The distance between your PSU and heatsink, it really depends on your case and CPU soket location.
What we'd like to know is how far the Zalman hangs over the edge of the NF7-S motherboard specifically.

If I knew this, I could measure how much space my case gives me between my NF7-S and my PSU.

starsky
Friend of SPCR

Post by starsky » Mon Jan 26, 2004 4:16 pm

Silvervarg,
pics of my NF7-S v2.0 in a Sonata with an SLK-800A and Zalman NB32 on the Northbridge. Tight fit, but no worries with PSU clearance.

http://www.bluecouch.com.au/reviews/nf7s/nf7s4.asp
http://www.bluecouch.com.au/reviews/nf7s/nf7s5.asp

No problems with this set up and the Northbridge never gets too hot to touch, even after hours of gaming.

silvervarg

Post by silvervarg » Tue Jan 27, 2004 2:54 am

Netgo:
Any case will fit. I am using chassis for microATX board (my new project). Very small case, but found no problem.

The distance between your PSU and heatsink, it really depends on your case and CPU soket location.
No, it will not fit in any case, since the 7000A cooler will overhang the motherboard on most motherboards it depends on what clearence the chassi gives on the "east" side of the motherboard.
If does not matter if you use a microATX board or not, just the distance from the CPU sockel to the edge (east edge) of your motherboard.

On the image of your board it looks like the CPU sockel is identically placed with many other boards (e.g. NF7), so if you could measure the overhang of the 7000A on your motherboard it would be helpfull to a lot of people.
Personally I will not get a 7000A cooler, and I will not get a Sonata chassi either, but that is kind of beside the point.