Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Techno Pride

are these grommets goode nough?

Post by Techno Pride » Tue Mar 01, 2005 6:53 pm

the only grommets that i can find here are these

how good/bad are the above compared to these:

http://www.siliconacoustics.com/fanisolators1.html

if i use the black ones, there'll be a gap between the casing and the fan frame. Are there any drawbacks to this?

thanks

Mr_Smartepants

Re: are these grommets goode nough?

Post by Mr_Smartepants » Tue Mar 01, 2005 11:27 pm

Techno Pride wrote: if i use the black ones, there'll be a gap between the casing and the fan frame. Are there any drawbacks to this?
Only if you're trying to induce a positive/negative atmosphere inside your case. An example would be when watercooling, you're fan would need to be sealed to a spacer/plenum in between the fan and radiator to focus the airflow and eliminate pressure loss.

The fan isolators from SA can also be found cheaper at McMaster-Carr (search these forums for 'elastomer fan mounts' for part numbers and descriptions.)

Both will alleviate some fan vibrations but if you have low/no-vibration fans already you'll see little benefit.

Techno Pride

Re: are these grommets goode nough?

Post by Techno Pride » Wed Mar 02, 2005 12:17 am

Mr_Smartepants wrote: Only if you're trying to induce a positive/negative atmosphere inside your case. An example would be when watercooling, you're fan would need to be sealed to a spacer/plenum in between the fan and radiator to focus the airflow and eliminate pressure loss.

The fan isolators from SA can also be found cheaper at McMaster-Carr (search these forums for 'elastomer fan mounts' for part numbers and descriptions.)

Both will alleviate some fan vibrations but if you have low/no-vibration fans already you'll see little benefit.
problem is, there is no way i'm gonna get those fan isolators locally. And i've no credit card to order from overseas websites.

for a normal fanned setup in a sonata, those black grommets would be fine for 120mm fans @ 5v?

thanks for your help.

Tibors
Patron of SPCR

Post by Tibors » Wed Mar 02, 2005 3:47 am

Those black things are usually quite stiff, so wouldn't help much.

Have a look at the DIY methods in this thread. They use common materials.

BillyBuerger
Patron of SPCR

Post by BillyBuerger » Wed Mar 02, 2005 6:20 am

I've used them myself with some hairbands to mount fans. I've been pretty happy with the results. Yes, the grommets are a bit stiff so they're not the best choice. But it's better than nothing.

rtsai

Post by rtsai » Wed Mar 02, 2005 7:01 am

I second the zip-tie construction. Only slight drawback is that it requires 8 grommets per fan (one set on outside of case, and one set on inside, between case wall and fan). I'm using the stock grommets that came with my Antec SLK3000B (kind of stiff and don't work very well at all for dampening HD vibration), and they're working well enough for the 5V 120mm fans they're holding. But maybe the fans are slow enough anyway. Oh well. The primary motivation for the ziptie method (for me) was because the fan holes didn't exactly line up with the case holes.

m0002a

Post by m0002a » Wed Mar 02, 2005 10:13 pm

I am not sure how one can tell how hard a grommet is just by the picture. You could use some 100% silicone caulk to fill the gap. I use silicone caulk even if the fan fits close against the case.