Papst 4412FGLL fan question

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Stephen

Post by Stephen » Sun Jan 29, 2006 6:11 am

Do you know how much air it pushes at 12v? According to the specs I've read, it should be pretty much the same as the Antec.

sir_constantine

Post by sir_constantine » Sun Jan 29, 2006 6:35 am

I don't know, I see the same specs as you do, but they don't seem correct.

Stephen

Post by Stephen » Sun Jan 29, 2006 7:44 am

Hmmm. Is there anything on the front of your Papst fan that suggests different specs than the ones we've both seen online?

sir_constantine

Post by sir_constantine » Sun Jan 29, 2006 7:59 am

Here's what's written on the sticker :
4412 F/2GLL (with two L)
12V ...- DC 60mA 0.72W
(7 - 14V ...- DC)

I can change its rotation speed through the controller and it goes from 600 to 1230RPM.

Stephen

Post by Stephen » Sun Jan 29, 2006 8:14 am

sir_constantine wrote:Here's what's written on the sticker :
4412 F/2GLL (with two L)
12V ...- DC 60mA 0.72W
(7 - 14V ...- DC)

I can change its rotation speed through the controller and it goes from 600 to 1230RPM.
I don't know what to think. The specs I've read only show an RPM of 1200, and don't mention using the controller. But that's no doubt due to the fact that I've been looking at the one without a controller.

sir_constantine

Post by sir_constantine » Sun Jan 29, 2006 8:17 am

No, no ! I meant the 5"1/4 Akasa fan controller...

Stephen

Post by Stephen » Sun Jan 29, 2006 8:23 am

sir_constantine wrote:No, no ! I meant the 5"1/4 Akasa fan controller...
I know. and I meant the tach (the thing refered to by the #2 in product ID).

Stephen

Post by Stephen » Mon Jan 30, 2006 4:31 pm

I'm going to go ahead and get a Papst fan, and do a direct comparison with the stock Antec TriCool fan on low. It may be the weekend, but I'll post my subjective results for what it's worth.

GHz

Post by GHz » Mon Jan 30, 2006 10:12 pm

I just received a brand new (direct from ebm's NE USA distributor) EBM-Papst 4412FGL and did a comparison against some of my other 120mm fans. It's a good long-life fan (compared to dual ball-bearing, FDB models) but the best sleeve-bearing models are quieter. Motor noise is very low, but there is some noticeable bearing noise at all speeds. If you plan to mount this fan anything other than vertically, you should look elsewhere, as bearing noise becomes obtrusive. I'm hesitant to recommend this fan because of this inconsistency.

If you want a quieter fan, then I would suggest these models:
Global Win 1202512L
Nexus/Yate Loon D12SL-12

Stephen

Post by Stephen » Tue Jan 31, 2006 3:18 am

GHz wrote:I just received a brand new (direct from ebm's NE USA distributor) EBM-Papst 4412FGL and did a comparison against some of my other 120mm fans. It's a good long-life fan (compared to dual ball-bearing, FDB models) but the best sleeve-bearing models are quieter. Motor noise is very low, but there is some noticeable bearing noise at all speeds. If you plan to mount this fan anything other than vertically, you should look elsewhere, as bearing noise becomes obtrusive. I'm hesitant to recommend this fan because of this inconsistency.

If you want a quieter fan, then I would suggest these models:
Global Win 1202512L
Nexus/Yate Loon D12SL-12
FYI - The Papst 4412FGL (with 1 L) specs show 1,600RPM, and a dBA of 26 versus the Papst 4412FGLL (2 Ls) which specs at 1,200RPM and a dBA of 18.

GHz

Post by GHz » Tue Jan 31, 2006 9:29 am

Sorry, I know that... I should have mentioned that I ran it at 7V to get similar RPM to the other fans I've compared it to.

frankgehry

Post by frankgehry » Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:07 am

I just listened to my 4412F/2GLL and I don't hear any clicking in either horizontal or vertical orientation from 5v to 11.6v using a fanmate. Mine was purchased from www.ichbinleise.com and has a blue stripe on the label. - FG

I don't remember any clicking with my blue stripe 4412F/2GL either.

Aleksi
Friend of SPCR

Post by Aleksi » Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:19 am

Hi,

I really can't remember having similar problems with my two 4412F/2GL that I received from EBM-Papst (newer, blue stripe). I would personally recommend them, especially as a quiet long life 120mm*25mm fan.

GHz

Post by GHz » Tue Jan 31, 2006 11:00 am

It's not a clicking sound (motor noise), it's more like squeaking (bearing noise). After evaluating so many fans I've become very sensitive to these noises, so most people probably wouldn't notice, but to my ears there is a clear, audible difference. You can isolate bearing noise by bringing a fan up to speed with your ear very close to the fan hub then quickly pulling the power. Listen to the sound of the bearing as the fan spins down... that's bearing noise.

FYI, my Papst is brand new with the blue stripe logo. However, I'm happy to ask for another factory sample to see if this is just a sample variation.

sun.moon

Post by sun.moon » Tue Jan 31, 2006 11:02 am

Hello,

So, I'll chime in here as well. I have three 4412F/2GLLs with the blue striped label in my system, all at 7v. No clicking, no motor noise, just a really smooth and low constant hum, actually rather pleasant, and not a bit annoying (which is relative of course). I formerly had them at 5v, but then I over clocked my P4 from 2.4 to 2.8 and turned the fans up a tad. At 5v, I could barely hear them, even with my ear right next to them.

All three fans are mounted veritically. Just for the heck of it, I took one out and held it horizontally, and played with the voltage from 5v to 12v. No clicking, and no motor noise as well.

I concur with Aleksi and Frank, in my opinion, really good fans - long lasting, quiet, good airflow and very under voltable.

-sun.moon

sun.moon

Post by sun.moon » Tue Jan 31, 2006 11:05 am

GHz wrote:It's not a clicking sound (motor noise), it's more like squeaking (bearing noise).
...Just missed your post GHz...

...I don't hear that kind of noise either...

Sizzle
Patron of SPCR

Post by Sizzle » Tue Jan 31, 2006 11:25 am

sun.moon wrote:Hello,

So, I'll chime in here as well. I have three 4412F/2GLLs with the blue striped label in my system, all at 7v. No clicking, no motor noise, just a really smooth and low constant hum, actually rather pleasant, and not a bit annoying (which is relative of course). I formerly had them at 5v, but then I over clocked my P4 from 2.4 to 2.8 and turned the fans up a tad. At 5v, I could barely hear them, even with my ear right next to them.

All three fans are mounted veritically. Just for the heck of it, I took one out and held it horizontally, and played with the voltage from 5v to 12v. No clicking, and no motor noise as well.

I concur with Aleksi and Frank, in my opinion, really good fans - long lasting, quiet, good airflow and very under voltable.

-sun.moon
Agreed.

If you search the forums on 4412 Papst fans, you'll see many a post by Frank, sun.moon, Aleksi and myself about the quality of these fans.

GHz

Post by GHz » Tue Jan 31, 2006 2:36 pm

Thanks for the responses, and I'll take everyone's word for it. It certainly seems like a quality fan, and is mostly pleasant to my ear. Either mine is a sample variation or it was damaged... although I doubt the latter because mine was specially packed in insta-foam... very slim chance of shock damage. In any case, I'm going to request another sample and I'll post back here with my feedback. Thanks again for your input an honesty folks! If I get another sample and it's good, I may buy a box and resell my surplus here ;)

Stephen

Post by Stephen » Sat Feb 04, 2006 10:41 am

I got the Papst fans yesterday. One minor mystery solved - though the website labeled them as 4412 FGLL without a "2", the fans that came actually say 4412 F/2GLL. I assume the website is just a typo. In any event, I tested them last night, and again today.

Compated to the Antec TriCool at low, the Papst clearly pushes a bit more air. The noise from the two fans is clearly different, though it is only really noticeable when you hold the fans next to your ear. The Papst makes a bit more noise from the bearing than the Antec, and just a tad more noise from the air. At the same time, the air noise from the Papst is a tiny bit more pleasant. (These of course are all subjective observations).

When I tried them horizontally, the bearing noise from the Papst was a bit more noticeable than when vertical, though again not by a sgnificant amount.

In all these tests, the fans were either sitting on a flat surface or in my hand. I did not test them mounted. I plan on testing them mounted in the top blow hole of the P180 case next.

One question - I want to power them from my PSU. I assume the easiest way is to get a 3 pin to 4 pin adapter. Some of the adapters also allow you to connect to the mobo for monitoring the RPM. If I got that type of adapter, how does it work with the built in tach in the Papst fan?