Any good 80x15 fans?

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

CountChoculaBot

Any good 80x15 fans?

Post by CountChoculaBot » Sat Nov 24, 2007 11:52 am

Right now I'm trying to find the lowest RPM 80x15 fan @ 12v. So far the best I could find is a SilenX :(
http://www.svc.com/ixp-52-11.html
Is it any good? This'll be for a high backpressure area btw. Would this be better?
http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/ ... s_id=22757

Oh yeah, I'll probably be running whatever fan at 7v.

andyb
Patron of SPCR

Post by andyb » Sat Nov 24, 2007 12:51 pm

I have 1 or 2 questions for you.

1, is it for a shuttle.???

2, Only applies if the answer to 1 is yes, do you have a dremmel.???

I had to replace a 80x15mm fan in a shuttle, it took me ages to find one (in the UK), I eventually found a Zalman "Optional" fan for a ZM-OP1 Passive Graphics card cooler, that was quite good being BIOS controlled.

Out of those 2 fans its not an easy choice, ideally you should use a 80x25mm, there are loads of options all of the good ones will push more air and make less noise.

Andy

Felger Carbon

Re: Any good 80x15 fans?

Post by Felger Carbon » Sat Nov 24, 2007 1:47 pm

CountChoculaBot wrote:Right now I'm trying to find the lowest RPM 80x15 fan @ 12v. This'll be for a high backpressure area btw. Oh yeah, I'll probably be running whatever fan at 7v.
Let me get this straight: you want to find the lowest RPM oddball fan, run it at 7V (even lower RPM), and use it in "a high backpressure area". Did you know that the pressure provided by a fan is proportional to the square of the RPM, and that thin fans provide less pressure than thicker fans?

That's like buying the lowest-MPG car available on the market (Honda Civic?) while planning to enter that car in the NHR quarter-mile competition. Your plan makes no sense.

There are probably no more than a single-digit number of SPCR readers who have ever used an 80x15 fan of any RPM. I assure you, the number who have used both of the specific fans you mention, and compared them for whatever you define as "best", is zero if not a smaller number than that. :P

Your best move is first, to reconsider what you're doing. If that's what you really want, then buy the cheaper fan and try it. If it meets your needs, you're golden. If not you have the option of then buying and trying the more expensive fan, knowing that it might be worse than the first, or the same, or not much better.

Life is tough for folks who want to travel through the swamp without a map or following any of the clearly marked trails. I admit I try that from time to time myself, and only rarely do I find a useful result. Good luck!

Bluefront
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Bluefront » Sat Nov 24, 2007 2:03 pm

San Ace

That's the best, the quietest, the most expensive. But whatever you do, don't get that SilenX........it's a horrible POS.

The sanyo is quiet as a pin at 7V.... :)

The Zalman 80x15 is better than the SilenX......but still has bearing noise. Never heard that other one you mentioned. You can find other 80x15 fans in some HD coolers....Directron has some for $5.

Here's a Scythe, but I've never heard it.

tibetan mod king

Post by tibetan mod king » Sat Nov 24, 2007 2:41 pm

You won't go wrong with Bluefront's Sanyo Denki recommendation. It is a well made fan, offering a quality level way beyond what is offered from most other vendors.

Bluefront
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Bluefront » Sat Nov 24, 2007 4:01 pm

This is funny....and sad. I just saw a pop-up ad for SilenX fans in this thread. These things are usually 3x as loud as they claim, and many new-comers are tricked by the SilenX lies into wasting their money.

The bearings are noisy, they make clicking noises, and the frames are flimsy. Their quality control is lacking.....some samples will turn much higher or lower rpms than they claim.

The good points....... :?

mentawl

Post by mentawl » Sat Nov 24, 2007 4:32 pm

andyb wrote:...it took me ages to find one (in the UK)...
Just as an aside, Dorothy Bradbury(http://www.dorothybradbury.co.uk/) sells 80*15 Low and Hi-speed fans, as well as 80*32mm ones. All brand new NMB-MAT (ex.Panaflo). Page updates depending on what is in stock =).

CountChoculaBot

Post by CountChoculaBot » Sat Nov 24, 2007 5:18 pm

Thanks I'll get the Sanyo then. BTW, this is for that 80mm slot on the RC-690 :P The one that everyone says is useless =\ Unfortunately, I have OCD when it comes to this crap, so I was wanting to stick a fan there and be done with it, hence the 7v :P

felix_w

Post by felix_w » Sun Nov 25, 2007 9:43 am

Tried a Hiper Hiperflow 80x15 led fan (HFF-1B08N)...2000rpm @ 12v...Nearly Inaudible for a fan of that dimension...Worked even at 5v...No annoying clicking sound....Suggested...

Felger Carbon

Post by Felger Carbon » Sun Nov 25, 2007 10:37 am

felix_w wrote:Tried a Hiper Hiperflow 80x15 led fan (HFF-1B08N)...2000rpm @ 12v...Nearly Inaudible for a fan of that dimension...Worked even at 5v...No annoying clicking sound....Suggested...
That Hiper fan is in SVC's catalog in several guises and colors but SVC, the last time I looked, has no stock. Performance PCs offers one model, which is apparently in stock but does not specifically say so. Now you have an LED version, which is not what PerfPCs has. It looks as if Hiper is about to stuff the channel, and when it does SVC will evidently have the widest selection (at least at first).

Where did you buy your Hiper?

What we need is the ability to compare the noise of different 80mm fans [Panaflo, GW NCB, Papst, Hiper...] at identical airflows. Hmm... I wonder how that could be accomplished? :P

Bluefront
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Bluefront » Sun Nov 25, 2007 12:36 pm

FC....little invention of mine could do just this. I made a light-weight arm about three feet long that held a fan in free air at one end. This arm was on a hinge at the other end. About one foot into the arm, it pressed down on a sensitive scale. You blew the fan upward, which caused the arm to press down on the scale.

By adjusting the fan voltage you can get the same pressure reading on the scale, for any fan. You zeroed the reading before you started to compensate for different weight fans.

After adjusting the voltage to get a set reading (which compared to a set cfm), you could judge the sounds of a particular fan at relative cfm. Worked pretty well. My electronic scale was very temperature sensitive.....so I could only do testing at a set ambient temp to get consistent readings.

Felger Carbon

Post by Felger Carbon » Sun Nov 25, 2007 1:19 pm

Bluefront wrote:FC....little invention of mine could do just this.
Once upon a time, a physics prof at MIT challenged his class. A paper exercise (they had to describe the measurement method, not perform the measurement), he "gave" the students a specified measurement instrument or two. With the equipment, the student had to describe how he would measure the height of a multi-story building.

One student said he would offer the equipment to the building manager in exchange for revealing its height. Another would carry the equipment to the roof, throw the equipment over the side, and stop-watch the fall time. There were other creative solutions. Some of the class drudges actually suggested the obvious solution the prof wanted.

There is more than one way to skin a cat! :P

felix_w

Post by felix_w » Tue Nov 27, 2007 11:28 pm

Felger,i bought two of these fans in Multirama stores in Greece...There is an e-shop @ www.multirama.gr ,but i don't know if they list that fan there...i bought them for €3 each in order to mod my Thermaltake Tai-Chi notebook cooler,which has two 70x15 fans @4.96V with dissappointing flow & noise (clicking sound) characteristics...I tested the Hipers @ the same voltage and apart from the much better flow,they are almost silent...The Zalman OP-1 I bought for the same reason performed well also (for €8.5), but did a low but noticeable sound from the motor...