Nexus Beamair

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Forte

Nexus Beamair

Post by Forte » Fri Nov 07, 2008 5:05 pm

Hi, Have just seen this on Nexus website.
Has anyone else seen or tried this? It sounds great in theory, but so do a lot of things.
I am wondering if it would need a decent airflow to work or if it would still work with undervolted/slow fans.

thejamppa
Location: Missing in Finnish wilderness, howling to moon with wolf brethren and walking with brother bears

Post by thejamppa » Sat Nov 08, 2008 12:51 am

Looks pretty nice but they has been airflow straightners before... Not sure if they really are that good. However I ran into Nexus WaveAir PCI-slot cooler while looking the BeamAir...

Now wave air looks nice. 80mm Nexus real silent bundled with it...

The smoke images with and without beamair looked quite impressive thought.

frenchie
Friend of SPCR

Post by frenchie » Mon Nov 10, 2008 1:05 am

The smoke images with and without beamair looked quite impressive thought.
I totally agree !!!

I wonder if it really does make a difference in cooling though... :? 2°C on a 4870 is not that much really....
Now I wish I had one to test in the Solo... You could use the bottom front intake to feed the GPU heatsink more fresh air and opening the back PCI slots would not be necessary anymore. Interesting....

frenchie
Friend of SPCR

Post by frenchie » Mon Nov 10, 2008 3:02 am

Found this review (conclusion page) : http://www.mikhailtech.com/Reviews/Nexus/BeamAir/page4
I am pleased that such a simple device can actually make a difference, like a half of a degree celsius.[...]In IDLE, the difference was even higher, almost a degree
ok...
half a degree....
ONE single degree at most...

CyberDog

Post by CyberDog » Mon Nov 10, 2008 3:57 am

I have seen similar product in SPCR forums a some time ago...

We judged that it didn't do much...

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Mon Nov 10, 2008 7:08 am

Welcome to SPCR!

Forte

Post by Forte » Mon Nov 10, 2008 8:02 am

CA_Steve wrote:Welcome to SPCR!
Thanks...

And thank you to everyone who replied. Seems my initial thoughts have been confirmed.

nyu3

Post by nyu3 » Tue Nov 11, 2008 1:37 pm

frenchie wrote:Found this review (conclusion page) : http://www.mikhailtech.com/Reviews/Nexus/BeamAir/page4
I am pleased that such a simple device can actually make a difference, like a half of a degree celsius.[...]In IDLE, the difference was even higher, almost a degree
ok...
half a degree....
ONE single degree at most...
That test is pretty much useless. The test case was a CM stacker with FOUR 120mm side fans installed (and probably at least 1 intake and 1 exhaust). Furthermore, the side fan with beamair sits practically on top of the heatsink anyway, so the advantages of BeamAir would not show.

Basically, the BeamAir is only theoretically useful if the fan is somewhat far from the hot component it is designed to cool, so its application is limited. One example I can think of is in Lian-Li PC-A05, with the "reversed-airflow" design.

Fungi

Post by Fungi » Wed Nov 12, 2008 12:20 am

Honeycombs do their job: straighten/focus airflow. The application is limited, but if you need a spot that's not close to the fan cooled, they can work. But then again, you can buy honeycomb sheets from McMaster Carr for cheap.