Exhaust fan needed for restrictive case

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

ryboto
Friend of SPCR

Exhaust fan needed for restrictive case

Post by ryboto » Wed Nov 26, 2008 9:37 am

As the title suggests, my case is quite restrictive in terms of air intake. I'm using an NSK1300, modified, so that the air is drawn around the video card and then through the CPU cooler. As such, a fan which can generate greater static pressure is ideal. I was using Enermax Enlobal fans on the CPU and the ehxaust, but the temperatures were too high, and the fans couldn't cope.

I've since tried using my old Panaflo. Temperatures have reduced drastically. It's an L1BX, and it's undervolted to ~900-1000rpm, but even at this rate it's got some terrible bearing noise. It's old, and is in need of a replacement.

So, here's what I'm considering,
Scythe Ultra Kaze 1000rpm
Noctua NF-P12
NMB-MAT FBA12G12L1-1BX
Silenx IXP-76-14

I'm not certain on the Silenx, and the NMB-MAT is listed as a Panaflo on Jab-Tech, so, not sure if they're the best place to look. Any suggestions are welcome and appreciated! Thanks!

Olle P

Post by Olle P » Thu Nov 27, 2008 5:30 am

First you need to realise that powerful fans are inherently noisy.
If you want to pull air through some serious restriction, there must be noise.

Now when that's clear, I'll present two options:
1. Modify your case to reduce the restriction, thereby increasing the air flow and lowering the noise.
2. Get yourself a EBM-Papst DV4112N. Run it at 12V and enjoy your cool computer while listening to the loud whining.

Cheers
Olle

ryboto
Friend of SPCR

Post by ryboto » Thu Nov 27, 2008 8:48 pm

Olle P wrote:First you need to realise that powerful fans are inherently noisy.
If you want to pull air through some serious restriction, there must be noise.

Now when that's clear, I'll present two options:
1. Modify your case to reduce the restriction, thereby increasing the air flow and lowering the noise.
2. Get yourself a EBM-Papst DV4112N. Run it at 12V and enjoy your cool computer while listening to the loud whining.

Cheers
Olle
The restrictions are unavoidable. The bearing noise should be. The Panaflo was once incredibly quiet. It's several years old, and ever since it was used on an old Abit board with a fan controller it had some terrible clicking grinding bearing noise. If I put an Enermax Marathon fan as the exhaust, the fan makes the same noise that it would in open air, but spins close to 200rpm slower. Maybe I should just rename the thread.

Aris

Post by Aris » Thu Nov 27, 2008 11:32 pm

the ideal solution to the NSK1300 is to use an external ac/dc adapter with an internal dc/dc converter. this will allow you to take the stock proprietary PSU out, and utilize the single 120mm fan for intake or exhaust, whichever you prefer. This bypasses the whole restrictivness you have run into.

I know bluefront has posted on the forums somewhere where he did just that with this case, and used the 120mm fan as an intake and put an air filter on it.

You can get up to a 300w passive external brick psu, which should power almost any system you put into a micro atx case.

Otherwise, your best option is a 38mm thick fan. They will give you the best static pressure. I believe NMB/Panaflo makes ones like that.

ryboto
Friend of SPCR

Post by ryboto » Fri Nov 28, 2008 10:32 am

Aris wrote:the ideal solution to the NSK1300 is to use an external ac/dc adapter with an internal dc/dc converter. this will allow you to take the stock proprietary PSU out, and utilize the single 120mm fan for intake or exhaust, whichever you prefer. This bypasses the whole restrictivness you have run into.

I know bluefront has posted on the forums somewhere where he did just that with this case, and used the 120mm fan as an intake and put an air filter on it.

You can get up to a 300w passive external brick psu, which should power almost any system you put into a micro atx case.

Otherwise, your best option is a 38mm thick fan. They will give you the best static pressure. I believe NMB/Panaflo makes ones like that.
I guess I should have explained some more. I have already made those modifications to the NSK-1300. I'm running a PicoPSU120 and a 220W Dell brick(where the heck can you get a passive 300W 12v brick!?!?!), works perfectly fine. I've got a full size video card, and a tower heatsink on the fan. The video card is passive. I say restrictive, because the airflow pattern requires flow around the video card, and through the heatsink on the CPU. The 120mm Enermax Marathon's I've got can't produce enough airflow at 800rpm(12v) as an exhaust, while the Panaflo at 900rpm(motherboard controlled) keeps everything very cool.

Like I said, I already have a Panaflo in the system, but the bearing noise is ridiculous. So, I listed the options I'd consider. If I limit it to 38mm fans, and exclude the Silenx, then it's between the Scythe Ultra Kaze(1000rpm version), or the NMB-MAT(Panaflo) 1700rpm L1BX version. The bearing in the NMB-MAT is going to be more durable, but I'd have to pray I didn't get another noisy one.

jaganath

Post by jaganath » Fri Nov 28, 2008 1:26 pm

it's between the Scythe Ultra Kaze(1000rpm version), or the NMB-MAT(Panaflo) 1700rpm L1BX version.
i would vote Ultra Kaze. from the same company that gave us Slipstream and S-Flex, I expect very good things, like you say bearing noise is unavoidable with L1BX as it is ball-bearing.

Hypernova

Post by Hypernova » Fri Nov 28, 2008 2:57 pm

jaganath wrote:
it's between the Scythe Ultra Kaze(1000rpm version), or the NMB-MAT(Panaflo) 1700rpm L1BX version.
i would vote Ultra Kaze. from the same company that gave us Slipstream and S-Flex, I expect very good things, like you say bearing noise is unavoidable with L1BX as it is ball-bearing.
Luck plays a big factor with NMB. I got 3 L1BXs and one of them grinds notably above 600RPM with the other 2 don't till 1000+.

As for the Ultra Kaze didn't the SPCR review state that they have bad bearing noise?

Aris

Post by Aris » Sat Nov 29, 2008 12:00 am

Have you tried using the 120mm exhaust fan as an intake fan instead? Since the case is so small, it would blow cool air over all your components, you would likely not need any other fans in the case.

As for the 300w brick, i mispoke. I have the 220w dell Y2515 version also, im not sure why i thought it was 300w.

ryboto
Friend of SPCR

Post by ryboto » Sat Nov 29, 2008 8:39 am

Aris wrote:Have you tried using the 120mm exhaust fan as an intake fan instead? Since the case is so small, it would blow cool air over all your components, you would likely not need any other fans in the case.

As for the 300w brick, i mispoke. I have the 220w dell Y2515 version also, im not sure why i thought it was 300w.
I've tried the Enermax Meathon as an intake, but again, the fan speed reduces from 950-1000rpm to 800rpm, and the video card(the last component to be cooled) gets very warm(over 80C, causes random game crashes).

As an exhaust, the GPU gets cool air first(intake is the PCI brackets/bracket clamp), then the Pico gets airflow, and finally it goes through the CPU. Since the CPU runs cooler than the GPU in general, when it's cooled last, it still remains at a decent temperature under load at ~35-38C. So, I've found negative pressure to work best for my setup, but in either case, a fan with a higher static pressure is almost required for a cool system under load.

Aris

Post by Aris » Sat Nov 29, 2008 7:16 pm

i think a new NMB/Panaflo is your best bet for a higher static preassure fan. there one of the only company's that make 38mm thick fans that are still relatively quiet.

If this is still too loud for you, the only other real options are to either A. reduce the heat output of your computer components. Either by undervolt/underclocking them, or by replacing them by cooler running components. or B. get a different case with better airflow that will allow you to cool it more easily and more silently.

ryboto
Friend of SPCR

Post by ryboto » Sun Nov 30, 2008 8:09 am

Aris wrote:i think a new NMB/Panaflo is your best bet for a higher static preassure fan. there one of the only company's that make 38mm thick fans that are still relatively quiet.

If this is still too loud for you, the only other real options are to either A. reduce the heat output of your computer components. Either by undervolt/underclocking them, or by replacing them by cooler running components. or B. get a different case with better airflow that will allow you to cool it more easily and more silently.
NMB-MAT aren't the only ones, which is why I posted a list of options initially. If you look back to my first post, I was deciding between 4 fans, 3 of which are 38mm thick(NMB-MAT, Scythe Ultra Kaze, Silenx). So, that's why I made the list in the first place, I've got 3 options, and I'm unsure which is the best for the quietest operation.

As for your other options, my components(Video card/CPU) are undervolted. The video card idles nice and cool, it's load that is the issue, and undervolting doesn't really help there. The video card itself is quite an efficient component, the HD3870 has low idle power draw, and doesn't use a ton under full load, but still remains competent with newer games. The CPU is undervolted, and is only at stock now.

The big issue is the video card overheating during 3d-load, which is solved by using the Panaflo. Only problem, the Panaflo is noisy, and I don't know if I trust the product enough to spend the money on a new one. I don't know why I'd buy a new video card versus the low cost of replacing a fan.

I love the size of this case, and it CAN be cooled relatively easily, I just need help picking a new fan.

maf718

Post by maf718 » Sun Nov 30, 2008 2:56 pm

Hi, have you considered a Scythe SFlex? It has a reputation for dealing with pressure well and in this test it beats the 38mm Ultra Kaze: viewtopic.php?t=48781

ryboto
Friend of SPCR

Post by ryboto » Sun Nov 30, 2008 3:06 pm

maf718 wrote:Hi, have you considered a Scythe SFlex? It has a reputation for dealing with pressure well and in this test it beats the 38mm Ultra Kaze: viewtopic.php?t=48781
I've owned two S-Flex fans and found them to have an ugly mechanical sounding bearing, not smooth at all, similar to but not as loud as my Panaflo. The S-Flex was only bearable to listen to below 800rpm. I could try my luck with them again, maybe I just got a pair from a bad batch?

maf718

Post by maf718 » Sun Nov 30, 2008 4:23 pm

Maybe - there is bound to be sample variance; or maybe you have the hearing of a bat? :)

I have the 92mm Kama-Flex with the same type of bearing and it is obviously audible at higher rpm but I do not hear "an ugly mechanical sounding bearing".

ryboto
Friend of SPCR

Post by ryboto » Mon Dec 01, 2008 5:50 am

maf718 wrote:Maybe - there is bound to be sample variance; or maybe you have the hearing of a bat? :)

I have the 92mm Kama-Flex with the same type of bearing and it is obviously audible at higher rpm but I do not hear "an ugly mechanical sounding bearing".
So, now it's down to the NMB-MAT, Ultra Kaze, and S-Flex, assuming no one will recommend the Silenx or NF-P12. Only trouble with the NMB-MAT's is that they start at 1700rpm, so you need a heftly undervolt to get them at a quiet speed. Mine's at 900rpm now, but that's as low as the motherboard can allow(which is actually lower than a fanmate was able to do).

frenchie
Friend of SPCR

Post by frenchie » Mon Dec 01, 2008 6:12 am

Just to confuse you more, I'd vote for the NF-P12 :)
I use one on my Accelero and I'm very happy with it.

ryboto
Friend of SPCR

Post by ryboto » Mon Dec 01, 2008 6:21 am

Yea, I'd heard the P12 version was designed for use in a more restrictive environment vs the S12. Now I just read about the Scythe Gentle Typhoon fans, which sound quite interesting. Too many choices!