What is the best 92mm fan?

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Demogorgo

Post by Demogorgo » Sat Mar 27, 2004 4:54 pm

I had a Vantec hard drive cooler with two 50mm ADDA fans, and they wore out in less than a year and made a horrible clicking sound. cleaning and lubrication didn't help. They were very audible to begin with, too. This might not mean anything because most manufacturers make crappy fans in this size.

I have an old model 80mm ADDA fan and the noise/CFM ratio is very average. I did not attempt any tests or undervolting, and newer models are probably much different (this is several years old).

I have good results with the 80mm PCP&C Silencer. At full speed, the only thing I can hear is the sound of the rushing air. Does anyone know a good retailer for the 92mm? Directron doesn't have that size.

al bundy

Post by al bundy » Sat Mar 27, 2004 6:55 pm

Demogorgo wrote:...I have good results with the 80mm PCP&C Silencer. At full speed, the only thing I can hear is the sound of the rushing air. Does anyone know a good retailer for the 92mm? Directron doesn't have that size.
I always buy them online directly from PCP&C...

8)

Fabool

Post by Fabool » Tue Mar 30, 2004 7:57 am

http://www.nexustek.nl/92mmcasefan.htm

Nexus has added the specs for their new 92mm fan promising 19.2dBs and 27CFMs.

zuperdee

Post by zuperdee » Tue Mar 30, 2004 10:10 am

Fabool wrote:http://www.nexustek.nl/92mmcasefan.htm

Nexus has added the specs for their new 92mm fan promising 19.2dBs and 27CFMs.
Oh wow!! Now this is a fan I've been eagerly awaiting. Looks like a Dynatron fan!!!

Interesting lineup Nexus has--so the 80mm is a Bi-Sonic fan, the 92mm is a Dynatron, and the 120mm is a Yate Loon. Interesting assortment.

dasman
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by dasman » Tue Mar 30, 2004 12:26 pm

Interesting lineup Nexus has--so the 80mm is a Bi-Sonic fan, the 92mm is a Dynatron, and the 120mm is a Yate Loon. Interesting assortment.
I realize this is a 92mm thread, but... I just picked up (4) of the 80mm fans, 2 are great and 2 click pretty badly (all are running 12v).

I have a 120mm on order and I was considering canceling it after getting these 4 -- but if they're from different sources then I guess I'll wait and see... :?

Dave

blackstar

Post by blackstar » Sat Apr 10, 2004 8:18 am

Putz wrote:
zuperdee wrote:
Putz wrote:While I'm not arguing with you regarding your comments about Panaflos, zuperdee, I must warn you that saying bad things about Panaflos is sure to make you a few enemies around here...
Goodness, I hope not. I'm not trying to make enemies--I am stating my opinion based on actual experience with them. It is my honest opinion that Panaflos, although they ARE considerably quieter than many other fans out there, they are still far from being the "best of the best." They have far too much clicking and bearing noise, and given this, I think there ARE better options. That is my opinion.
I'm sure you didn't, zuperdee, and I understand your opinion (and can't/won't argue with you). It just struck me as harsh, and perhaps a little trolling, when you called Panaflos "JUNK", in caps no less.

I do believe, to support your observations and opinion, that many have noticed Panaflos not being as notably quiet as before, since they switched to a Chinese manufacturing plant, from one in Japan.
my 92mm panaflo fans are quite literally junk now, as I threw them away they were that bad. very dissapointing :cry:

rmac

Adda fans

Post by rmac » Mon Apr 26, 2004 7:29 pm

I have several Adda fans. I have replaced them with Panaflo L1A. The Adda fans move more air at 12v than the panaflo, but they are noiser. When you reduce the voltage they are quieter than before but still not as quiet as the panaflo for my estimation of equal air movement. I did not do any real comparison of cfm or db. In one Lian Li case, using the same processor, etc. I adjusted to get the same temp. using the different fans for comparison. The Adda fans are now in a cardboard box saved as a pretty good plan B.

fabre

Post by fabre » Mon Apr 26, 2004 8:31 pm

I got a SilenX 92mm 14dBA 2000rpm 36cfm from bigfoot and it's very quiet, didn't notice any clicking or anything of the sort. They also have a 11 and 9dBa version in 92mm.