My Review: Panaflo FBK-12G12LH

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Have you ever tried a FBK-12G12LH?

Yes I have heard the FBK-12G12LH and I like it.
56%
Yes I have heard the FBK-12G12LH and I am not impressed.
11%
No, I have never heard the FBK-12G12LH but I am interested.
33%
No, I have never heard the FBK-12G12LH and I am not particularly interested in it.
No votes

Total votes: 9

Gxcad
Patron of SPCR

My Review: Panaflo FBK-12G12LH

Post by Gxcad » Sun Feb 01, 2004 9:48 pm

I tried the panaflo (ball bearing model with blue center and unusual blades) and it is a bit quieter than the hydrowave model. However, I found the JMC fan I have (from directron.com) to be slightly quieter than it, although the panaflo sounded smoother (like a smooth low "hummm")wheras the JMC has some bearing buzz and tick which almost made up for the noise difference. When not in free air (IE inside a case) one fan may have a definitive noise advantage over the other because one type of noise may be attenuated more when inside a case, for example. These results are both at 5v as I find ANY 120mm fan is too loud even at 5v so there is no point to test at 7 or 12v. Both fans were tested in free air held in my hand to decouple. I feel that the panaflo feels like a much better quality fan, it also is 38mm compared to the JMC's 25mm and I felt it pushes more air at 5v. I did not feel either had a vibration advantage, but the JMC fan I have develops a tick in 40% of the samples I have (2 of 5). I have only tested 1 of 5 panaflo models I just got fresh in the mail from schlotkins (sp?) so maybe the panaflos will misbehave after a while too? Also, at 5v I tried deliberately stopping both fans and letting them restart. The JMC fan and the panaflo both started 100% of the time at 5v with no assistance but the JMC fan looked as if it JUST made it, wheras the panaflo looked as if it had an easy time starting at 5v. The panaflo may have a lower consistent minimum startup voltage compared to the JMC. The panaflo also has a price advantage over pretty much any other 120mm fan on the market since it can be had for $2 each (in bulk) off ebay. Many people in the forums buy up a batch then distribute them so finding smaller quantities may be possible if you are lucky. The JMC fan I believe was $7 each off of directron.com, and the hydrowave panaflo usually goes for about $12-15 each at various websites.

Compared to the hydrowave model of the panaflo, the ball bearing model was superior in every way be it noise, characteristics/bearing noise, or price. Perhaps it is lacking in availability compared to the newer hydrowave model. At just $~2 a pop (in bulk) off ebay, the ball bearing panaflo is quiet, smooth sounding, feels quality, and probably very undervoltable (yet to be tested). Its main weaknesses are availability, connectors and its depth. At 38mm deep, it will not fit in some situations, such as the front intake of a 3700 BQE case. The connectors that come with it MUST be modified to be used in a ATX case. Overall though, factoring in price I would say it is very tough to beat in the 120mm category.

As a comparison to which many can relate, I feel the FBK-12G12LH's noise level is comparable to the SPCR reference 80mm panaflo L1A at ~9-10v (estimate).

The good:
-Price
-Quiet
-Smooth
-Feels quality
-Pushes a decent amount of air vs noise
-PROBABLY undervolts well (starts below 5v consistently)

The Bad:
-Availability
-Non Standard Connector
-38mm depth may restrict compatibility
-Not the quietest fan at 5v

-Ken
Last edited by Gxcad on Sun Feb 01, 2004 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Trip
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Trip » Sun Feb 01, 2004 9:51 pm

do you have any more for sale?

Gxcad
Patron of SPCR

Post by Gxcad » Sun Feb 01, 2004 10:00 pm

That was fast...LOL. Sorry, I ordered 5 from schlotkins (sp?) in the deals forums and I intend to keep all of them for a good while.

-Ken

Trip
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Trip » Sun Feb 01, 2004 10:02 pm

dag

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Re: My Review: Panaflo FBK-12G12LH

Post by Ralf Hutter » Mon Feb 02, 2004 5:54 am

Gxcad wrote:Compared to the hydrowave model of the panaflo, the ball bearing model was superior in every way be it noise, characteristics/bearing noise, or price. Perhaps it is lacking in availability compared to the newer hydrowave model. At just $~2 a pop (in bulk) off ebay, the ball bearing panaflo is quiet, smooth sounding, feels quality, and probably very undervoltable (yet to be tested). Its main weaknesses are availability, connectors and its depth. At 38mm deep, it will not fit in some situations, such as the front intake of a 3700 BQE case. The connectors that come with it MUST be modified to be used in a ATX case. Overall though, factoring in price I would say it is very tough to beat in the 120mm category.

As a comparison to which many can relate, I feel the FBK-12G12LH's noise level is comparable to the SPCR reference 80mm panaflo L1A at ~9-10v (estimate).

The good:
-Price
-Quiet
-Smooth
-Feels quality
-Pushes a decent amount of air vs noise
-PROBABLY undervolts well (starts below 5v consistently)

The Bad:
-Availability
-Non Standard Connector
-38mm depth may restrict compatibility
-Not the quietest fan at 5v

-Ken
Very nice review. I agree 100%.

HammerSandwich
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by HammerSandwich » Mon Feb 02, 2004 8:39 am

First off, let me say that I've had petty bad luck with fans this year. My samples may be representative, maybe not.

I got a pair of the FBKs from Semm a little while ago. The serrated blades seem to help a lot: the airflow noise from this fan is exceptionally low. However, both of my fans have a good bit of bearing/motor noise. One fan is not too bad, and I plan to put it in my PC this week. I suspect that I won't hear it when it's in the case.

The second FBK is the worst 120 I own. The bearing noise is a bit higher, and it also has an intermittent rattle. Nothing seems loose, so I'm not sure what's behind that. I haven't disassembled it yet.

To compare, I have an aluminum Evercool, an Enermax adjustable, and the $7 JMC from Directron. The Evercool has the quietest motor assembly, but more air noise than the Panaflos. The Enermax is perhaps one Subjective Rating Unit worse for motor noise, and perhaps 2 SRUs worse for airflow. I don't mind it when running about 5V in the back of my case. The JMC has a pretty noisy motor - bad enough that the airflow rating's irrelevant.

Please understand that these comments come from a pretty critical viewpoint. As a rear exhaust, ANY of these fans would be less audible than the Dells I'm familiar with.