Magnetic rotor for case fans... Interesting

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

DrCR

Post by DrCR » Fri Sep 17, 2004 7:55 pm

Edward Ng wrote: But would this be in any way quieter than using a standard 120mm fan in a pull configuration? Or are you going for higher negative pressure, rather than silence?
Well I would really like silence. I'm currently looking for a big copper scuba or gas cylinder like tank to use as a reserator. Then the only noise will be my pump. But I'll probably have to use an actively cooled heatercore at least for a little while.

Like I said before, I plan on getting Papst 4412 axials right now and running them less than or equal to 7V based on chylld's recommendation here at SPCR and a few other guys on different forums. I thought about using the Nexus 120mm "Real Silent" axial fans but someone here recently said the 4412s were just a little quieter than the Nexuses at the same CFM, at least in open air, nonrestrictive testing.

You should be able to obtain the same dBA as an axial and have better airflow though the heatercore with a blower as the blower design is inherently better in a high restrictive environment. But I don't know if such a blower exists in the market. An axial fan only has a good bit of sucking capability when the RPMs are high so a 120mm slow turning axial isn't that great of a choice for a heatercore. My hope is you can get a Sunon MagLev 120mm blower to quiet down to the same level as a Globe, Nexus, or Papst or at least to Panaflo levels. As far a the Camry blower, I believe the issue would be the undervoltability of the motor and how loud the motor would be. Even if the Camry blower blades made more noise then a Globe, Nexus, or Papst, the sound would different and more acceptable. Whitenoise I believe it's called. I don't mind the low frequency noise near as much as the high frequency spooling up jet turbine type sound.

Edward Ng wrote: Or perhaps you're going for some sort of in-between balance (not dead silent, but not loud, yet still moving plenty of air)? Such as my own water cooling rig, which is a gaming rig used with headphones, so I set a looser noise level constraint for that build, allowing me better flow rates for the massive overclock.
Sort of. I also use heatphones for gaming so I don't mind a machine that's more on the quiet side than on the silent side when gaming. But I would like to be able to quiet everything (via fan controllers and such) for non-gaming use.

So if I'm not able to go with the homemade (and much more capable) reseratior route, I'll have four case fans. 1 PSU (Super Tornado or something), 1 Rear Case Fan Out, 2 Front Heatercore In (Fan Controller controled). Probably slightly positive pressure.

DrCR

Rory B.

Post by Rory B. » Sat Sep 18, 2004 6:02 am

I have the 60mm MagLev fan that Directron sells. It isn't truly 3-pin because it does not have a tach output. I bought it for the novelty. I hooked it up to a Zalman fan mate and still couldn't get it to shut up.

DrCR

Post by DrCR » Sat Sep 18, 2004 11:43 am

Rory B. wrote:I have the 60mm MagLev fan that Directron sells. It isn't truly 3-pin because it does not have a tach output. I bought it for the novelty. I hooked it up to a Zalman fan mate and still couldn't get it to shut up.
I'm sure most here would agree with me when I say a company's 60mm model is not necessarily representative of that company's larger fans. It is simply hard at best to make a quiet 60mm axial that will also put out more than single digit CFM values.

But I do indeed agree with you, the MagLev 60mm case fan's arn't what you would call quiet and I would not recommend them. We have a few in stock at work (InfoTech). High frequency whiners to the core.

DrCR

_________

Edward Ng
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Edward Ng » Sat Sep 18, 2004 11:47 am

I doubt the 60mm is as bad as the 40mm MagLev that came with my MCX-159 northbridge cooler. :lol:

DrCR

Post by DrCR » Sat Sep 18, 2004 7:14 pm

Edward Ng wrote:I doubt the 60mm is as bad as the 40mm MagLev that came with my MCX-159 northbridge cooler. :lol:
lol :lol:

You think a Sunon MagLev 120mm blower or two will be picked up for the large fan review?

DrCR

Edward Ng
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Edward Ng » Sat Sep 18, 2004 7:16 pm

Hmm; that'd be up to Mike, actually.

Tibors
Patron of SPCR

Post by Tibors » Sun Sep 19, 2004 11:26 am

I believe Mike stated somewhere that the "large fan review" would only include axial fans in standard sizes. Otherwise it would become the "enormous fan review".

Rory B.

Post by Rory B. » Tue Sep 21, 2004 10:56 am

According to a PDF file on the Sunon web site, the most ideal application for the MagLev fans is use in projectors, where very high air temperatures are found, and yet a low-noise bearing must be employed. VAPO bearings are designed to keep the shaft from contacting the sides of the bearing. The only contact point is at the end of the shaft, where the shaft itself is rounded off and contacts a metal plate. There is only a very small contact surface involved at any time, allowing the fan to operate nearly frictionlessly. The magnetic levitation system balances the fan blade on the shaft, and balances the shaft on the contact point.

Edward Ng
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Edward Ng » Tue Sep 21, 2004 1:21 pm

Received my four 80mm Sunon MagLev fans today; will have to run them for at least 24 hours before evaluating. I also have 5 80mm Enermax
(made by Globe) thermal fans coming in from NewEgg, to compare against these MagLevs and against my many 80mm L1As.

This should prove quite interesting!

-Ed

DrCR

Post by DrCR » Thu Sep 23, 2004 8:40 pm

Looking forward to your post! :)

DrCR

_________

Edward Ng
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Edward Ng » Thu Sep 23, 2004 8:47 pm

Yeah it will be posted to a different thread...

This one.

-Ed