Fanspeed

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

clive

Fanspeed

Post by clive » Wed Feb 25, 2004 1:56 am

Have been running SpeedFan to control my fans and liked how it could control the speeds as opposed to manually turning knobs on my Zalman MFC1 (which is now on another machine).

However what I did not like, or maybe was unable to work how to do it, was to continuously adjust the dpeeds to maintain a temp sort of like climate control. Anyway I just installed Fanspeed which allows for a progressive increase in fan speeds, user determined between max and min values. I have it running now and the fans do not just jump to full once the predetermined temp is reached. Very impressive but not sure if it will work on all boards.

clive

Post by clive » Fri Feb 27, 2004 3:22 pm

Quick update

Fanspeed does not report actual rpm but a number between 0 - 255 so I started SpeedFan and they seem to coexist OK (unlike MBM and Speedfan). I do not let SpeedFan control the fans just Fanspeed. I can now see the fan rpm and graphs of temps.

quietdragon

Re: Fanspeed

Post by quietdragon » Sun Feb 29, 2004 9:53 am

clive wrote:I have [FanSpeed] running now and [unlike SpeedFan] the fans do not just jump to full once the predetermined temp is reached. Very impressive but not sure if it will work on all boards.
I didn't like the SpeedFan control very much. When I was previously running SpeedFan and my CPU temperature was below the preset, my fan seemed to run somewhere between min and max! Only when the temperature reached the preset did the fan speed drop to min. To get quiet operation I had to set min=4% and max=10%.

In this thread http://forums.silentpcreview.com/viewtopic.php?t=10674, I describe my biggest gripe about SpeedFan: I had to be logged in for it to work. I couldn't get SpeedFan to work as a service.

OTOH FanSpeed only supports boards with Winbond W83782D or Winbond W83627HF chips. With FanSpeed I notice that my fan drops to min immediately on startup, and increases only as temperature rises.