Nexus 120mm now at silicon acoustics....

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Magic

Nexus 120mm now at silicon acoustics....

Post by Magic » Wed Mar 10, 2004 5:20 pm

...who's going to be the first to report back on how good it is?

zuperdee

Post by zuperdee » Wed Mar 10, 2004 5:37 pm

Personally, I still believe the Nexus 120mm Real Silent Case Fan is basically just a custom-made Yate Loon fan, like these ones:

http://www.yateloon.com/dcfan-2.htm#120x120x25

I think they are custom made, because although the Nexus model number matches Yate Loon's, the specs are different. It probably IS an excellent fan--I just wish my case had the room for a 120mm rather than a 92mm. :cry:

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Thu Mar 11, 2004 6:46 am

Damn, I went to order a couple right now and noticed that they have the enclosed style of mounting holes, which are incompatible with my EAR isolators. I'd have to order some of those Directron sticks if I wanted to use this. I'll wait for someone else to be the guinea pig.

Direct link to fan at SA.

RaNDoMMAI
Friend of SPCR

Post by RaNDoMMAI » Thu Mar 11, 2004 7:32 am

Ralf

what do u mean enclosed mounting holes?

my evercool fan i think has the "enclosed" mounting holes u r talking about and i was still able to use the EARs

It doesnt go all the way threw, but it does stay in place.

I am looking to order those fans

I guess i will be the guinea pig!

~RaNDoM

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Thu Mar 11, 2004 7:46 am

RaNDoMMAI wrote:Ralf

my evercool fan i think has the "enclosed" mounting holes u r talking about and i was still able to use the EARs
That's exactly what I mean.
RaNDoMMAI wrote:It doesnt go all the way threw, but it does stay in place.
You've got bigger huevos than I do. :) There's no way I'd mount a fan that insecurely if it was sitting right next to/above my CPU HSF, and vidcard.

zuperdee

Post by zuperdee » Thu Mar 11, 2004 7:48 am

RaNDoMMAI wrote:Ralf

He means that the corners of the fan are tubular, as opposed to the corners of a fan like the Panaflo, where the corners are open. See this:
http://www.siliconacoustics.com/panfba080.html

and compare that to the corners on this:
http://www.siliconacoustics.com/nexus80 ... sefan.html

Personally, I used an 80mm Vantec Vibration Dampener on my 80mm Nexus fan--it worked like a charm.

icancam

Nexus 120mm fan

Post by icancam » Thu Mar 11, 2004 8:00 am

I ordered one from Silicon Acoustics yesterday and intend to describe its use in the course of the long delayed Part Two of: http://www.silentpcreview.com/article120-page1.html

I'll be using the 120mm Vantec vibration dampener with the Nexus since I have a spare (they come two to a package) after using one for the Cheng Home Electronics CHB12012AS-A fan that comes with the Seasonic Super Tornado PSU. I found that it made a very subtle improvement in the power supply vibration level but expect it will work even better in the use I've planned for the Nexus.
Last edited by icancam on Thu Mar 11, 2004 8:12 am, edited 2 times in total.

RaNDoMMAI
Friend of SPCR

Post by RaNDoMMAI » Thu Mar 11, 2004 8:03 am

Ralf Hutter wrote:

You've got bigger huevos than I do. :) There's no way I'd mount a fan that insecurely if it was sitting right next to/above my CPU HSF, and vidcard.
bigger eggs?

btw, i think it feels secure.

The evercool r really heavy and it was a pain just to get all four EAR thing in the holes.

I have also moved my case to different ppls house to play LAN games and it hasnt fell out yet

o well, i ordered two 120mm orange nexus fans and i ordered one 92mm AcoustiFan™ AF92CT. $64 bucks w shipping just for fans!

good thing i got my tax return to play for all this=)

I got the AcoustiFan™ AF92CT because at 7V, my 92mm panaflo does make some noise i can hear over the forton PSU hum. and if i use it at 5V my CPU gets to 54C. at 7V it never hits 50C(OC barton 2500 to 3200)

I will let u guyz know how it works out.

btw Ralf
Do u use a front fan in ur 3700BQE case? i think i read somewhere u only use a zalman 7000 and a 120mm panaflo in the back.
I asked because in the front, i could not put the EAR things threw the holes. there r like super small. I was wondering what u used for the front

~RaNDoM

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Thu Mar 11, 2004 8:08 am

RaNDoMMAI wrote:bigger eggs?
It's slang. Think "bigger balls". :)

RaNDoMMAI wrote:btw Ralf
Do u use a front fan in ur 3700BQE case? i think i read somewhere u only use a zalman 7000 and a 120mm panaflo in the back.
I asked because in the front, i could not put the EAR things threw the holes. there r like super small. I was wondering what u used for the front

~RaNDoM
You can drill out those holes with a 3/16" drill and the EAR isolators will work fine.

I'm actually using a 5V 92mm L1A as an HDD cooler on my BQE. I utilized the existing fan grills to mount the isolators:

RaNDoMMAI
Friend of SPCR

Post by RaNDoMMAI » Thu Mar 11, 2004 8:16 am

man, i never thought of using a smaller fan.

Does the smaller fan work the same as the 120mm?

btw

I was looking at the directron for these "sticks"
there look neat.

In comparing noise isolation

would u say

EAR>directron Sticks>Silica Gel washer(covers whole fan)>rubber screw washer

~RaNDoM

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Thu Mar 11, 2004 12:34 pm

RaNDoMMAI wrote:man, i never thought of using a smaller fan.

Does the smaller fan work the same as the 120mm?
Well, it works better because a 120mm, even at 5V is overkill for cooling the HDD, plus it's louder than the 92mm.
RaNDoMMAI wrote:I was looking at the directron for these "sticks"
there look neat.

In comparing noise isolation

would u say

EAR>directron Sticks>Silica Gel washer(covers whole fan)>rubber screw washer

~RaNDoM
I've never used the Directron sticks but the impression I get is EAR Isolators = Directron sticks, and some poeple like the sticks better because the EAR Isolators are sometimes tricky to work with (but practice makes perfect, buy a 20-pack :) ).

Magic

Post by Magic » Thu Mar 11, 2004 3:17 pm

With the 80mm Nexus fan you can use either the 3 pin motherboard connector, or the four pin motherboard connector.

The 120mm has two connectors as well, but the 3 pin is only for rpm monitoring, while the four pin power supply connector has to be used for power.

Which means that you'd have to convert the four pin power supply connector to a 3 pin connector to use this fan with most fan controllers.

On the plus side it comes in orange. Which is quieter than black. (Both of which are quieter than biege). :)

JimK

Post by JimK » Thu Mar 11, 2004 3:48 pm

Magic wrote:On the plus side it comes in orange. Which is quieter than black. (Both of which are quieter than biege). :)
I never knew this. I suspect it is like "Black cameras take better photographs" which any photographer will tell you is true :)

Jim

Rolleiflex 2.8, Nikon SP, Canon A1 - ALL Black

Magic

Post by Magic » Thu Mar 11, 2004 4:08 pm

JimK wrote:
Magic wrote:On the plus side it comes in orange. Which is quieter than black. (Both of which are quieter than biege). :)
I never knew this. I suspect it is like "Black cameras take better photographs" which any photographer will tell you is true :)

Jim

Rolleiflex 2.8, Nikon SP, Canon A1 - ALL Black
Jim...

Of course, that's why Canon saved money by making their low end slr grey instead of black. ....

RaNDoMMAI
Friend of SPCR

Post by RaNDoMMAI » Thu Mar 11, 2004 4:28 pm

Magic wrote: The 120mm has two connectors as well, but the 3 pin is only for rpm monitoring, while the four pin power supply connector has to be used for power.

Which means that you'd have to convert the four pin power supply connector to a 3 pin connector to use this fan with most fan controllers.
Whoa! i didnt even check the connectors

QUESTION!
I am using a zalman 6 fan controller to controll the speeds of my fans
HERE
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDe ... 251&depa=1

Now, since this has a 4 pin connector, can i plug the nexus 4pin into the back of this
http://www.circuitcity.com/detail.jsp?c ... oid=-11241
3 to 4 pin adapter and then stick the 3pin part into my zalman and then i would be able to controll the speed?

Thx
~RaNDoM

JVM
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by JVM » Thu Mar 11, 2004 8:04 pm

Magic wrote:With the 80mm Nexus fan you can use either the 3 pin motherboard connector, or the four pin motherboard connector.

The 120mm has two connectors as well, but the 3 pin is only for rpm monitoring, while the four pin power supply connector has to be used for power.

On the plus side it comes in orange. Which is quieter than black. (Both of which are quieter than biege). :)
Orange is a plus? But black shows the dust better. :wink:

zuperdee

Post by zuperdee » Fri Mar 12, 2004 2:10 am

RaNDoMMAI wrote:QUESTION!
I am using a zalman 6 fan controller to controll the speeds of my fans
HERE
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDe ... 251&depa=1

Now, since this has a 4 pin connector, can i plug the nexus 4pin into the back of this
http://www.circuitcity.com/detail.jsp?c ... oid=-11241
3 to 4 pin adapter and then stick the 3pin part into my zalman and then i would be able to controll the speed?
1) My bet is that the Nexus fan will be so slow and quiet even at 12V that you might not NEED a fan controller!
2) If you find that you do still need to lower the speed of your fans (which I should think is unlikely), then yes, I guess you could try to find a 4-to-3-pin converter, but then I would caution you to check on the current draw requirements of the fan, and make sure that your Zalman fan controller is capable of supplying that much current before you hook it up. Many 120mm fans draw quite a bit of current, and I'm guessing maybe Nexus made their fans require a 4-pin direct connection to the power supply for this reason.

Well, let me know when your Nexus 120mm fans arrive--I'm curious to know how they perform, too. :wink:

zuperdee

Post by zuperdee » Fri Mar 12, 2004 2:17 am

Disclaimer: It seems I have been getting a bit of a reputation in these forums lately for being a bit overboard on things like this. Frankly, I don't care--you may call me paranoid if you wish. I just mention these things because I have learned by frying a few components before--I have learned through experience that it never hurts to be concerned about safety BEFORE you worry about quietness. :lol:

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Fri Mar 12, 2004 5:12 am

Radeonman wrote:
Ralf Hutter wrote:Damn, I went to order a couple right now and noticed that they have the enclosed style of mounting holes, which are incompatible with my EAR isolators.
Wimp, just cut the sides of the fan to expose the holes. I did this with the yate-loon that came with my fortron - worked like a charm. I'm sure you have a coping saw and some pliers around (or nicer stuff for a nicer finish).
I di that with a 120mm Enermax and my Dremel. It worked but it looked like shit.

JimK wrote:

Jim
Are you also aware that black computers are faster too?

HammerSandwich
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by HammerSandwich » Fri Mar 12, 2004 7:58 am

zuperdee wrote:...I would caution you to check on the current draw requirements of the fan, and make sure that your Zalman fan controller is capable of supplying that much current before you hook it up.
Good advice, but I'll also vote that you're being a little overcautious. First, this fan runs much slower than a 2.16W 120mm L1A, so it should require less power. Second, SA's page explicitly links to the Fan Mate as a recommended accessory.

zuperdee

Post by zuperdee » Fri Mar 12, 2004 12:22 pm

HammerSandwich wrote:Good advice, but I'll also vote that you're being a little overcautious. First, this fan runs much slower than a 2.16W 120mm L1A, so it should require less power. Second, SA's page explicitly links to the Fan Mate as a recommended accessory.
1) See my disclaimer above. :wink:
2) Just because Silicon Acoustics links to it as a recommended accessory does NOT mean that it is necessarily compatible. If that were REALLY the case, then why would they list it even though the Nexus fan does not have a compatible plug? :wink:

HammerSandwich
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by HammerSandwich » Fri Mar 12, 2004 1:14 pm

zuperdee wrote:If that were REALLY the case, then why would they list it even though the Nexus fan does not have a compatible plug?
You're taking that a bit out of context. I quote SA:
Note: To wire this fan for direct from motherboard power or for a 3 pin variable fan speed control you will need a 3 Pin Fan Connector.

klas

Post by klas » Sat Mar 13, 2004 1:32 pm

Are you also aware that black computers are faster too?
NO!!! I just bought silver case!!!

acompeau

mouting "closed" fans

Post by acompeau » Sat Mar 13, 2004 2:02 pm

Damn, I went to order a couple right now and noticed that they have the enclosed style of mounting holes, which are incompatible with my EAR isolators. I'd have to order some of those Directron sticks if I wanted to use this. I'll wait for someone else to be the guinea pig.
I have two of the Nexus 120mm "Real Silent" case fans on the way. I'll post once I've tested them out (sorry, no SPL meter available).

As for mounting the "closed" fans, I've been using 5/32 shock cord with those nice McMaster EAR grommets. Depending on the fan, you may need to open up the holes for the shock with a drill. You just sandwich a grommet in between the fan and the case. The shock cord can be tied in a knot, but I just use tie-wraps to keep it in place instead (easier to set specific tension). Hmm... I think you probably know what I mean, but I can post a picture if anyone needs to see it.

Magic

Re: mouting "closed" fans

Post by Magic » Sat Mar 13, 2004 11:46 pm

acompeau wrote: I have two of the Nexus 120mm "Real Silent" case fans on the way. I'll post once I've tested them out (sorry, no SPL meter available).
Great! What fans do you have to compare them to? Anyone bought one yet that has a 120mm Papst they can compare it to?

acompeau

Re: mouting "closed" fans

Post by acompeau » Sun Mar 14, 2004 10:55 am

Magic wrote:
acompeau wrote: I have two of the Nexus 120mm "Real Silent" case fans on the way. I'll post once I've tested them out (sorry, no SPL meter available).
Great! What fans do you have to compare them to? Anyone bought one yet that has a 120mm Papst they can compare it to?
I ordered two 120m Acoustifans at the same time. I also have several 120mm Panaflos that these are potentially replacing. I don't have a 120mm Papst at this point.

dis

Post by dis » Tue Mar 16, 2004 10:37 am

Anyone know if these fans can be found in the UK at the moment?

icancam

Post by icancam » Tue Mar 16, 2004 4:16 pm

I received my new Nexus 120mm fan from Silicon Acoustics today and immediately set about comparing it to my only reference, a Cheng Home Electronic CHB12012AS-A that was the original fan in my Seasonic Super Tornado PSU. It had been swapped out with a replacement fan of the same type when it exhibited the dreaded fan stall whilst in use. (My PSU has worked flawlessly in the intervening six months). I used the original Cheng elsewhere in my case in a horizontal configuration along with a Zalman FanMate. It worked just fine at all voltage settings but the lowest when it did stall once. This satisfactorily validated that the issue with my particular Seasonic was its original fan in an under volted situation and was not due to any other design issue.

What follows are my subjective impressions and I don't pretend they are based on objective measurement criteria. My Dell doesn’t even have a fan rpm monitoring capability.

The first step was to directly compare the Cheng and the Nexus. I set them on edge on my desktop and ran them side by side, both simultaneously and singly. The Nexus was always run at 12 volts while the Cheng was used with the FanMate. With the FanMate set at its lowest setting, both fans were commendably quiet and without any discernable motor noise or clicking. The Nexus was obviously moving more air. I then attempted to match the air flow of the Cheng to the Nexus. The high tech apparatus I used was my cheek and a wetted fingertip. At this point, there was some motor noise hum coming from the Cheng and a “whooshier” sound through the fan blades. By now I was past any buyer’s remorse and anxious to try out the Nexus in my case.

After considerable experimentation, in that never ending quest for a quieter pc, I had settled on a configuration with a 120mm fan mounted horizontally above the bottom of my Dell blowing upwards onto the bottom of my Maxtor 6L040J2 40GB Hard Drive. There is a 30mm gap between fan and HD. Both are interconnected to each other with elastic cord and there is an attachment at both the bottom of the case and at the floppy drive cage above (I had previously removed the HD cage). The fan and HD are thus completely decoupled from the case; secure when I move the case around or set it on its side; and the HD is enveloped by the rising air of the fan which also passes over the passive heat sink on the graphics card on its way upwards to augment the flow of air being pulled through by the 120mm fan into the Seasonic PSU. The Seasonic is 78% efficient. The heat that it generates when combined with the additional heat from the other components in my system is insufficient to run its fan above its lowest rotational level. The exhaust air is barely warm to the touch. For the record, I am not a gamer nor do I do complex 3-D modeling. I have been evolving this set up arrangement for the past five months although constantly adjusting it because even small changes of orientation led to different results. Only recently had I begun to be satisfied that I’d reached a happy medium.

So how did the Nexus work out in my set up? After many adjustments of the FanMate in combination with the Cheng fan it seemed that I’d arrived at a good compromise between noise and cooling. The result was that during typical use, in similar ambient room temperatures. the HD temperature averaged 37C. Over the past five hours, I have been constantly monitoring the HD SMART readings while putting the computer through a typical utilization pattern (I work from home). I’m happy to report that the HD temperature has averaged 34C in similar ambient conditions as before. Since there is now less fan noise from the bottom fan and the PSU operation is unchanged, it’s an overall improvement in noise reduction and creates even better conditions for the HD. I’m curious to see what will happen when I replace the noisier Maxtor with a quieter 60GB Barracuda V. I suspect that the Seasonic PSU will then be the noisiest component in my Dell OptiPlex GX-240 which has still not been sealed or damped in any way (since I’ve wanted to attack noise at its source before seeking to muffle it with acoustic materials or seal any of the openings in the case).

JVM
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by JVM » Tue Mar 16, 2004 4:27 pm

The big question for me is how does the Nexus 120mm at 12V compare to the Papst 4412G/2GL at about 7 or 8V? In other words, comparing them at the same rpm and finding out about cfm and noise.

I have the Nexus 80mm and when connected directly to the MB, the rpm readout is 1700 even though the rated output at 12V is 1500. So, better to check rpm than volts when comparing Nexus to Papst or any other fan.