2 Panaflo FBA08A12L in the back of my Antec Case

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Baudesign

2 Panaflo FBA08A12L in the back of my Antec Case

Post by Baudesign » Tue Mar 16, 2004 8:10 am

Hi everyone,

I have read many articles, but I have not found my answers:

I am about to put together all the computer parts I ordered (some from FrontierPC: good service, fast shipping).

Now, I have 2 Panaflo FBA08A12L (made in China BTW) that I intend to place at the back of my Antec case, with an Asus P4P800 Deluxe.

What I am looking for is to run these fans ultra quitely, that is probably at 7 volts. But I am not interested in switches, fan controllers or other gizmos like that. All I want is to power up the computer and not to worry about anything else. My office is in my basement, quite cool on the floor, so heat is not really an issue here.

How should I connect these fans? They came with two wire connectors. What are my options?

Thanks

sthayashi
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by sthayashi » Tue Mar 16, 2004 8:27 am

Though I'm not a big fan of the 7 volt modification, it sounds perfect for what you want to do. In your case, you are going to need at least a 3-pin to 4-pin adapter plug for your fan (I know that your fan is 2-wire, but it should have come with a 3-pin connector).

Then you can either order this product, or simply rewire your 3-pin to 4-pin adapter plug yourself.

ahrbruz
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by ahrbruz » Tue Mar 16, 2004 9:10 am

sthayashi
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by sthayashi » Tue Mar 16, 2004 9:17 am

aphonos
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by aphonos » Tue Mar 16, 2004 5:26 pm

Becuase there are occasional concerns voiced about what the 7V mod does to the PSU, you might want to consider running them at 5V, directly from your PSU connector, and see if that provides sufficient cooling.

I know you said no controller, etc, but you could also invest in 2 Zalman fanmates, find the voltage that provides adequate cooling and just tuck them into your case--no further tweaking necessary.

Of course, appropriate tails must be obtained.

Baudesign

Post by Baudesign » Tue Mar 16, 2004 5:48 pm

Thanks for all your answers. I will see what I can do. The 5 V option might be good, but I fear that my fans won't even start at this voltage. Fanmates are a good options.

SometimesWarrior
Patron of SPCR

Post by SometimesWarrior » Tue Mar 16, 2004 5:55 pm

A good compromise would be 6 volts. :)

You can do this by wiring your two fans in series. I haven't tried this myself, but I'm assuming it works. I know it's been discussed on SPCR before, but I can't find the discussion thread, for some reason. Maybe someone else can remember where it is?

Edit: aha, here it is. 6V for fans instead of 5V or 7V.