SilenX 120mm

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Interitus

SilenX 120mm

Post by Interitus » Tue Apr 27, 2004 12:00 am

Does anybody have any actual experience with these fans?

http://www.silenx.com/productcart/pc/co ... product=75

Their dBA to CFM ratio seems unrealistic, and I've heard only one person comment on them. I would imagine they make quite the air voshing sound pushing that many CFM without motor noise but I'd like to know how they undervolt etc...

Looked around but didn't see anybody post this...

Thanks.

mrybczyn

Post by mrybczyn » Wed Apr 28, 2004 10:02 am

I've picked up 4 SilenX 80mm fans, and have found them reasonably quiet... These are the ones with thermistor controller fanspeed, which is a nice feature, and were fairly cheap (C$15 per).

As to the CFM, Bels, and other "objective" measurements... You know how it goes, the manufacturers love to apply "creative accounting" methods.

Cheers,
Mitch

Leto

Post by Leto » Thu Apr 29, 2004 10:28 am

40 cfm @ 11 dba, seems a bit generous to say the least. Only testing here will tell what the facts are.

Sizzle
Patron of SPCR

Post by Sizzle » Thu Apr 29, 2004 12:27 pm

I have 4 of the 80mm's non thermostat. I've used all sorts of Panaflo's, and Papsts. The SilenX's are quieter. Do they push the advertised air? Don't know, pushes enough to get the job done for me.

loren_brothers
Location: Friday Harbor, San Juan Island, WA, USA....Just West of B.F.Egypt

Post by loren_brothers » Thu Apr 29, 2004 2:38 pm

I also find those numbers extremely hard to beleive. Just waiting with 'bated breath' for one of the reviewers here to get their hands on one and give us the real 'skinny' on this beastie. :wink:

if it can really run @ 11dB @12V...... then the devil just got his wish and can take my soul anytime now :wink:

Interitus

Post by Interitus » Thu Apr 29, 2004 11:41 pm

I have 4 of the 80mm's non thermostat. I've used all sorts of Panaflo's, and Papsts. The SilenX's are quieter. Do they push the advertised air? Don't know, pushes enough to get the job done for me.
Have you undervolted them at all? Do they make any bearing/motor noise or have clicking?

Sizzle
Patron of SPCR

Post by Sizzle » Fri Apr 30, 2004 6:58 am

Interitus wrote:
Have you undervolted them at all? Do they make any bearing/motor noise or have clicking?
Why would I need to undervolt something you cannot hear?

From sitting distance away, you cannot hear the fans. head next to them gives you some motor noise.