Vantec Nexus NXP 205-SL Fan Controller

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

acaurora
*Lifetime Patron*

Vantec Nexus NXP 205-SL Fan Controller

Post by acaurora » Mon May 24, 2004 2:01 pm

I apologize ahead of time if I sound like a newbie, but I really must compliment this controller. It's the first one i've bought, and I find that it is perfect for my needs, and thus is why I'm recommending it for anyone that needs a fan controller. The wires that come with them have generous lengths, with BOTH 3 pin and 4 pin adapters. The LED rings, while they do not change in brightness as I have read that most others do, are very bright, and in fact light up the inside of the case as an added bonus. I've been able to isolate the main source of noise within my case with this, and again, recommend it to anyone in need of a fan controller.

One side note I'd like to mention - The Antec Stock fan that normally comes with the 3700 BQE/Sonata - I've noticed actually that the airflow BARELY changes, and the noise is already near dead silent @ 12V, when undervolted is basically the same dead silent beauty that it is. Interesting, and I never realized it until now :P

So what are you waiting for?! GO GET ONE OF THESE! :P

PS
Friend of SPCR

Post by PS » Wed Apr 27, 2005 8:58 pm

a, so have u tested it with a panaflo? Is it your impression that it does NOT use PWM?

I'm thinking about getting the NXP 305, which I figure'll use the same method to change fan speed as the 205 :D

acaurora
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by acaurora » Wed Apr 27, 2005 9:37 pm

I don't know if it uses PWM - although I am guessing it probably does. While testing with Panaflo L1A/M1A's, I haven't heard of any clicking that becomes audible at lower voltages (a sign of PWM?). I have friends who say that these controllers burn out / crap out very easily, while mine still works fine, powering 2 Nexus real Silent Case fans.

If there's anything you want me to do to test out, let me know.

PS
Friend of SPCR

Post by PS » Thu May 05, 2005 11:30 pm

Heh... um sadly I don't really know TOO much about PWM or how to test for it, except what you already have heard: that PWM tends to make panaflo L1A's clicky.

I had a cheap little fan controller that a friend of mine gave to me, and it apparently used PWM. I can't be certain, but I do know that it made more noise as you turned the fans down (possibly the most annoying thing ever).

If you've tried L1A's and didn't notice any increase in noise when you turned them down, then I'm guessing that it must not be PWM. I was thinking that I might just take my chances with an NXP 305, but recently I've been thinking about putting more than 3fans into my new (theoretical) case... tho ideally I'd be reducing fans... hmmmm... at any rate, thanks for the info!

:D

Green Shoes
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Green Shoes » Sun May 08, 2005 12:46 pm

just ordered one from bestbyte today for an upcoming A64 build, will be running 2 Nexus, a Yate Loon SM and possibly the stock fan in SLK3000-B (haven't experimented w/ it yet)....will post back with results.

Green Shoes
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Green Shoes » Thu May 19, 2005 12:03 pm

Well, this thing works great! I got the black version for my SLK3000-b. My one nit with it is that the upper metal casing makes some heinous knocking noises if there's any vibration at all in the casing (like optical drives)....but it is removed easily enough. It's got a nice wide range of voltages (not sure exactly how wide, will test with multimeter when I get a chance), as well. At under $20, everyone needs one! Waaaaay cheaper than 4 fanmates, looks cooler (blue LEDs!), and only requires one molex connector to power 4 fans. w00t!