Questions about fan control

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

ONEshot

Questions about fan control

Post by ONEshot » Wed Jun 16, 2004 12:49 am

Howdy.

How do you guys handle your fans? I see some people say things like "I 5volt my exhaust fan". But what if you decide to play a game and need more juice to your exhaust fan? Especially your CPU fan? How do you guys control your fans?

Thanks.

RaNDoMMAI
Friend of SPCR

Post by RaNDoMMAI » Wed Jun 16, 2004 12:55 am

there is a program called speedfan that lets you control your voltage if your fan is connected to your mobo

some people use fan controller like this one
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDe ... 251&depa=0

~RaNDoM

ONEshot

Post by ONEshot » Wed Jun 16, 2004 4:07 am

I have speedfan also, but for some reason my rear exhaust (A thermally controlled antec... sucks) doesnt get a reading on my mobo.

ONEshot

Post by ONEshot » Wed Jun 16, 2004 4:07 am

And my question about the fan controller is: Do you have to twist the knobs EVERY TIME you wanna play a game??

bomba

Post by bomba » Wed Jun 16, 2004 12:08 pm

I don't want to mess with adjusting fan speeds or worrying whether they are set correctly, so here's how I do it.

I 5v my case fan and Sonata hard drive fan. The Zalman 7000 CPU fan is speedfan controlled. Although I don't play games, when I run CPUBurn, my CPU fan speed inreases automaticaly via speedfan (when CPU temp hits 50C) from 30% to 50%. I can hear it at 50%, but just..., it's inaudible @30%. In my setup, 5V case/HDD fans are fine even under max load. If they weren't, I'd feed 'em with a higher fixed voltage. Note that I considered adapting my case/HDD fans to be powered by the motherboard and thermally controlled by speedfan, but found that speedfan was only capable of controlling the CPU fan header on my Asus 865PE motherboard; only RPM monitoring works on the case fan headers.

Another alternate to manual fan speed is to use quiet case fans with thermal diodes, like the Accoustifans that Ed likes.

shathal

Post by shathal » Wed Jun 16, 2004 12:13 pm

Get something like a Zalman multi-fan controller.

It's not a biggie, really.

While game loads up (even on *MY* machine), quick reach, pump CPU-fan to max, and increase the output-fan by a bit.

As it's folding, I kinda have to keep it at max cooling (CPU Fan that is) anyway, so that saves some effort :).

But really, it's not big deal. Games take seconds to load, even on a zippy high-end machine (points down). That's plenty of time to do this

1. "reach down"
2. "grab twister"
3. "turn to the max"

There's also a "automatically adjusting" fan-controller - does it all for you (which I don't like, call me not a very trusting type). Easy :).

ONEshot

Post by ONEshot » Wed Jun 16, 2004 3:43 pm

No I'm done with thermal fans. This antec leafblower has pissed me off royally.

I guess I'll take Bomba's route. Thanks you guys!

Skylined

Post by Skylined » Wed Jun 16, 2004 6:03 pm

I did the controller myself.
6.5V to 10.5V (Variable) / Off / 12V
With indicating bicolour LED.
It can handle 1.5A in variable mode.

http://www.gideontech.com/content/articles/213/1