Stop all fans in sleep mode?

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Jos van Eijndhoven

Stop all fans in sleep mode?

Post by Jos van Eijndhoven » Mon Jun 28, 2004 4:09 am

I would like to configure a file-server for home use. Clearly this device must be always-on. However I hope to save energy and noise (and maybe lifetime) by automatically going to 'sleep' mode at lack of work.
In sleep mode the disk(s) will stop. I would also like to really stop the fans (both CPU and power-fan), after the system did cool down properly. The system should wake-up on activity from the LAN.
Depending on the available HW&SW options I am open to use either Linux or Windows.
Is it difficult to make my PC totally silent in sleep mode?

(Preferred hardware is for now a compact 'barebone' with both 1Gb LAN and S-ATA (raid) options.)

lenny
Patron of SPCR

Post by lenny » Mon Jun 28, 2004 4:47 am

Hi, Jos. Welcome to SPCR Forums!

I started replying to your post then realized there are too many points I'm not sure about, so I'll stick to what I know.

1) Wake up on activity from LAN - there is always activity on LAN. Broadcast packets like ARP, DHCP requests, and others are present on any Ethernet network. There is a standard called Wake On LAN which wakes up a machine by sending it a special Ethernet packet. Not all systems support WOL.

2) You can put a Windows system in sleep / suspend mode and turn off all fans if your system supports Suspend To RAM (STR). It's a BIOS option if supported. You also have to configure your system not to wake up on USB devices if you want the PSU fan to turn off. It takes multiple seconds to wake up, and some devices don't wake up properly (e.g. my firewire hard disk cannot be accessed after waking up unless I remove and re-insert the firewire cable).

I'm not sure if network disk access is considered activity when Windows is calculating idle time.

Good luck.

bomba

Post by bomba » Mon Jun 28, 2004 5:35 am

S3 standby is fans off. Look to enable/force S3 standby in your BIOS setup. Can't comment on getting WOL (wake on LAN) to work, however. My experience with both standby and suspend modes is that they can be problematic. Good luck!

silvervarg

Post by silvervarg » Thu Jul 01, 2004 3:23 am

Since it is a server it normally needs to be on, so suspending to S3 is not a good option. Spinning down discs and enabling HLT instuctions to reduce CPU heat during idle and using temp controlled fans seems to be a more resonable option. Using a slow low power CPU is also often a good choice for a server.
If possible is suggest you look into undervolting and underclocking.

koody

Post by koody » Thu Jul 01, 2004 3:58 am

A file server? Are you using linux? If you are here are some pointers:

Go check out this page http://www.tuxmobil.org/Mobile-Guide.db ... iques.html
for general information (most is meant for laptops, but especially the hraddrive part is relevant to any machine).

Also if you are using a Duron or and Athlon check out athcool http://members.jcom.home.ne.jp/jacobi/l ... wares.html

nutball
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by nutball » Thu Jul 01, 2004 5:23 am

I have my second PC configured as a game server (UT2003/4). It spends most of it's life in sleep mode (S3 STR), and only springs to life via WOL when I or my mates try to connect. It comes awake in a few seconds. It'll then stay awake whilst hosting the game, then switch itself off via the usual Windows power saving options.

It's a new build, using all modern components (nForce2 mobo), and configuring it was a total doddle. This is the key IMO, I've been trying to use STR for years and it's only with the last two builds that I've managed to get all the pigeons flying in the right direction. There was always something that would refuse to work with STR (usually Creative Labs crap). Now with nForce and not much else in my boxes, S3 works just fine and dandy.

bomba

Post by bomba » Thu Jul 01, 2004 7:00 am

Yeh, what nutball said, S3 is fans off standby, which should work fine. Suspend mode not recommended.