Do any of you true silent junkies run any fan @ 12 volts?

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

frosty

Do any of you true silent junkies run any fan @ 12 volts?

Post by frosty » Tue Aug 03, 2004 11:14 am

As always crits welcome.

Well darn it, I am into summer tinkering again and set my hd on the bottom of the case on foam until I build an isolater with bungies and I removed all 5 v fans cept the one on the video card, and I have my cpu fan at about 9v and my rear exhaust is 12v Panaflo 80 mm M and my psu fan is set at 5v.

I did notice change in getting that loud maxtor to the bottom, but lost most of my gain by replacing the exhaust fan with the 80 M, the 80 L that was there was FILTHY dirty for now, I have a spare fan controler and was thinking of using it on the exhaust fan and try getting it around a 9 v run. But the problem is I am really hooked on UT2003 and play it some and my temps reach about 52c and the hd peeks about 44 45 c at times. Dumping the front case fan and the fan over the hd seemed to help on some noise. I also am considering drilling some holes in the bottom of the case near the front end, I already have 20 nice 1/4 inch holes drilled out the front bottom of the bezel.

But like many of us the noise when it idles still bothers me, gawd Mike C. I sear since joining here and modding I have actually have gotten better at hearing :)

DO ANY OF YOU run any fans at 12v always or do you just run more fans at lower volts?

sthayashi
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by sthayashi » Tue Aug 03, 2004 11:53 am

Most fans tend to get undervolted around here, but if I had any Nexus fans, I would probably run them at full 12v.

flyingsherpa
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by flyingsherpa » Tue Aug 03, 2004 12:37 pm

i've never met a fan i would run at 12V (of course i have not met them all). with your components you really shouldn't have any problem running everything undervolted. i have an ATI AIW 7500 like yours and i pulled the stock fan off and jury-rigged an 80mm panaflo to blow on it. i have this in a fan controller but its always at 5-6V. i think you could undervolt the exhaust fan if you put the intake one back in. i have 1 intake and 1 exhaust, both 80mm L1A's, and they both run about 7v max. this keeps my hard drive (mounted right behind the intake fan) at 31C and my cpu very cool (bit its a xp-m). 52C for your cpu is nothing to worry about. 45c for your hd may be a tad high, but i bet it would be fine if you put the intake fan back in.

in short, i bet you can get all your fans down to 7-8v (all mine are, and our systems aren't radically different thermally) and still be fine.

oh, but if you don't have air conditioning then ignore everything i just said :)

frosty

Post by frosty » Tue Aug 03, 2004 2:30 pm

Thanks for the reply - I will try tonight or thursday to go with using that fanmate on the exhaust side/or/& replace it with a 80L and undervolt another 80 L below and watch temps. The hd temps do have me a tad concerned, not the cpu though - plus if I suspend that hd should help airflow around it too.

Zyzzyx
Friend of SPCR

Post by Zyzzyx » Tue Aug 03, 2004 2:37 pm

I've got all my fans running at 5v. Four 80mm Panaflo L1As; intake in front of HD, cpu on SLK-800, exhaust, and PSU. Hmm... actually, I have the exhaust disconnected right now. But everything gets run at 5v, and I work with that to get the best cooling. I don't allow myself to see upping the fan voltage as an option.

Sizzle
Patron of SPCR

Post by Sizzle » Tue Aug 03, 2004 3:02 pm

The SilenX's in my case go at full 12 volt. They do not need to be undervolted. Though it has been theorized in these very forums that these fans are somehow undervolted. We may find out when MikeC reviews the one I sent him.

My Northbridge and 92 mm Panaflo on my heatsink are controlled by my mobo, so they are not always running at 12 volts.

josephclemente

Post by josephclemente » Tue Aug 03, 2004 5:34 pm

I don't run anything at 12 volts. The fastest fan in my 3-fan system spins at around 1125 RPM (92mm). I wouldn't mind running it slower...

Tibors
Patron of SPCR

Post by Tibors » Tue Aug 03, 2004 9:43 pm

I run Papst 8412N/2GLE and 8412NGLE 80mm fans at 12V. Those fans spin at 1500 RPM. But that system is only quiet, not silent.

frosty

Post by frosty » Wed Aug 04, 2004 8:29 am

Thanks for the replys - I got my hd suspended in the weirdest manner. I looped a cloth style bungie cord - using the hooks to hang from the crosstied bungies in the upper 51/2 bay drive and just wedged the Maxtor in the loop - then I tied it across the top with elastic sewing ribbon. Voila - I noticed a difference in the noise vs just laying the hd on the bottom of the case with foam - plus my hard drive overnight temps were a sweet 35 and barely crested 40c while running ut2003.

I adjusted the rear exhaust fan down a touch with the fanmate: whether it is at 7, 9 or 10 v I dunno, but I have a significant noise reduction and I bundled cables better again and my cpu temp overnight was a very sweet 40c!!!!

I was going to change out the exhaust fan 80 M with a 80 L panaflo, but it appears I pretty much stripped out the screws holding it so I left the 80 M in place and did not install a front case fan at 5v

So I only have an 80 L reduced voltage on my cpu slk800 and a 80L @ 5v on the vid card and the 80 M exhaust and my psu fan is set at 5v with and open air duct from the top side. Hehe.

Oh yes I got air conditioning too - helps plenty to stay cool, I am mostly German descent and like cold things -

shathal

Post by shathal » Wed Aug 04, 2004 2:46 pm

I need to run my Panaflo L1A at 12V (cooling the ThermalRight SP-94, which in turn cools a P4 3.4 C), if I'm folding / otherwise stressing the CPU to the max.

Might be better in winter, as the temps are pretty high at the moment.

Then again, hopefully, next week I should be able to replace the SP-94 + L1A (92 mm) setup for an XP-120 + 120 mm AccoustiFan setup :).

Prescott Pacifier - come hither :).

fancontrol

Post by fancontrol » Wed Aug 04, 2004 3:29 pm

I have two fans in my closet system that run at 12V.

They're 24V fans ;)

NeilBlanchard

My NMB's are at 12v...

Post by NeilBlanchard » Wed Aug 04, 2004 6:20 pm

Hello:

I've got three NMB 80mm fans in my (old style) Evercase 4252, 1 intake, 1 exhaust, and 1 on the Alpha; all running at 12v. These were the fans that SVC was selling for under $3 each: they are rated at 18dBa and 18CFM at 12v. Such a deal! :P

I'm depending a lot on my Fortron and SeaSonic 120mm PS's for a majority of the case flow...

frosty

Post by frosty » Fri Aug 06, 2004 7:04 am

Thanks, more 12 volt members than I thought, I am only thinking on isolating my cpu fan with some more soft foam to lower vibros and get some darn feet under that pc, I have always overlooked how much it might be sending vibrations to the floor.