Fan vibration suggestions

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

frosty

Fan vibration suggestions

Post by frosty » Thu Aug 12, 2004 9:54 am

I successfully silenced my athlon now, only because of all the kind help from Mike C and everyone here. :D I can’t hear the psu one of Mike’s modded 300w. My @5v panaflo over the vid card and freshly decoupled mounted in the lower end of the case hard drvie, all silent.

But I still HEAR the exhaust fan mounted at the rear, nice humming sound. I tried using new earplug foam and screw isolaters but to me it still hums audibly 6 foot away even at 5 volts, which is too slow in my opinion.

Any suggestions or tips would be appreciated. Anyone use a hanging in elastic method or different screws or multiple rubber grommets. I don’t lan party or what not so a tender mount would not bother my system much either.

TIA
Last edited by frosty on Thu Aug 12, 2004 2:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.

frosty

Post by frosty » Thu Aug 12, 2004 2:37 pm

Would it be better to just push air from the front end of the case and leave that exhaust hole open.

I know I am being obsessive here, but silence is such an addictive hobby! :)

lenny
Patron of SPCR

Post by lenny » Thu Aug 12, 2004 2:44 pm

What fan are you using?

Is it transmitting vibration to the case?

Are fan grills removed?

Muffler for exhaust, or acoustic foam on the wall / surface directly behind PC, may help.

frosty

Post by frosty » Thu Aug 12, 2004 2:54 pm

Yes Lenny it is vibrating the case, I can inhibit that by placing my hand over it - Now I have an 80 M panaflo but it vibrates also with an 80 L too.

Good ideas you posted!, :) anymore from anyone is welcome.

burcakb

Post by burcakb » Thu Aug 12, 2004 3:12 pm

Change the fan? I kind of remember Dorothy saying the 80M had different motor?

Wedge

Post by Wedge » Thu Aug 12, 2004 7:19 pm

frosty, are you sure that hum is vibration? I just built a system with an 80mm fan PSU exhaust. I noticed the hum as it ramps up while the PSU gets hotter (thermistor obviously), but I can place my hand over the grill and the hum stops. That hum is air turbulence caused by the grill (I don't actually touch the grill, just allow my hand to hover in front of it). If I pressed the grill, and that caused the hum to subside, then I would attribute the hum to vibration, but it's not vibration.

frosty

Post by frosty » Fri Aug 13, 2004 6:25 am

Yes Wedge it is a loud hum, I cut out all grills all over my cats are smart enuff to stay away from the holes. :)

Another culprit was an nmb over the SLK800, i'd forgot, oh duh, I'd used that on the cpu, I replaced it with an 80 L also and now actually managed to hang a 80 L above the ghetto mounted hard drive but the airflow truly sucks cos it is only open to about 50% of the front bezal air & gonna leave the open hole in the exhaust or mount a 80 L there and run it at 5 v for now, but I ran out of time this morning.

Gosh darn silent bug infected me again.

frosty

Post by frosty » Mon Aug 16, 2004 1:40 pm

Haha you vets here know a fan along the exhaust - side cools alot better than one hanging in the bottom front case - air is sucked out sweetly whereas with that gapping hole does not seem to exit the case - plus - oh my gosh stupid me, setting my case just on top of a few pieces of carpet foam really made a slight difference in those vibrations, DUH! and replacing that 80 M with and 80 L was the ticket, now she just hums like a kitten.

Wedge

Post by Wedge » Mon Aug 16, 2004 4:04 pm

You got it sorted then? Good. And yes I believe a fan at the exhaust is more important than an intake (although I wouldn't call myself a vet).

swivelguy2

Post by swivelguy2 » Mon Aug 16, 2004 9:26 pm

I'm a big fan of using double-sided foam tape to soft-mount fans. Cut four pieces to go on each corner, and cut out the curved edge with an exacto knife/razor blade.

Wedge

Post by Wedge » Mon Aug 16, 2004 9:54 pm

swivelguy2 wrote:I'm a big fan of using double-sided foam tape to soft-mount fans. Cut four pieces to go on each corner, and cut out the curved edge with an exacto knife/razor blade.
I do the corners of fans using velcro the same way. works well.