Help! Sunbeam Fanbus problems :(

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

maxxymus

Help! Sunbeam Fanbus problems :(

Post by maxxymus » Tue Aug 31, 2004 6:39 am

Had one imported from abroad... I hooked up 2 fans (chinaflos) to one of the controllers and it fried after ~2months of use. It refuses to go over 3volts and just stays on the red led no matter how much I turn the knob.. I can use the other controllers without a problem but I wanted to hook up some more fans and this limits me :/

Anyone have any idea how I can fix this issue? Solder something?

Much abliged

Trip
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Trip » Tue Aug 31, 2004 6:46 am

You know you can use 3 pin splitters right?

Congrats on winning the Gold!

maxxymus

Post by maxxymus » Tue Aug 31, 2004 11:05 am

Thanks a bunch about the gold ;)...

still doesnt fix the problem plus DO remember that I live in Israel and don't have access to all that stuff unless I import it which costs $$$ (the wire that is)...

MadModder

Post by MadModder » Thu Sep 02, 2004 2:09 pm

I don't know what you folks have heard about that Sunbeam Rheobus, but here in sweden it's well known for burning upp. :P

pangit
Patron of SPCR

Post by pangit » Thu Sep 02, 2004 5:52 pm

I had one of the channels on mine burn up, but only because I accidentally shorted it out! :( The other three are still running like a dream, and I could easily fix it by changing the 10K pot, as that is all that has burned out.

I've not tried it with more than 1 fan per channel though......

Gholam

Post by Gholam » Thu Sep 02, 2004 8:04 pm

Maxxymus, http://www.pccool.co.il imports various Sunbeam products, they have the rheobus for 120-odd NIS.

GlassMan

Post by GlassMan » Fri Sep 03, 2004 5:24 am

The right side controller blew on mine after a week, running a slow 120 and a reg 80. Moved the connector and kept on foldin.
Pangit, any tips about how to get a better pot? As I want to control my cpu fan I would like to "bullet proof" the burned out pot Thanks

maxxymus

Post by maxxymus » Fri Sep 03, 2004 5:40 am

Any idea how I can find out what burned? As i said.. the red led is lit but never gets to the blue-led part... :/

GlassMan

Post by GlassMan » Fri Sep 03, 2004 6:39 am

The color changes at 7v, since the voltage is low, the color won't change, I have no reason to argue the potentiometer (made up spelling) but I smelled mine when it burned up, so when I take it out I'll probably find which part burned. I think the part you turn wit the knob.

magius13

Post by magius13 » Sat Sep 04, 2004 1:43 pm

I got a different problem with my sunbeam controller. It just doesn't work period! :evil:

I hooked up everything, the led's are on, I get red and blue.... but the fan rpm's just don't change. Plugged in 2 vantec tornado fans, and 2 thermaltakes. Each fan is plugged into it's own 3 pin plug on the sunbeam. I have no clue what to do, the manual wasn't very informative if there was something that I missed.

GlassMan

Post by GlassMan » Sun Sep 05, 2004 6:50 am

If you turn the controls off do the fans stop (ie red light goes off) If the fans stay on you've got something plugged into a 12v source. I don't see how all four controls could be defective at once.

magius13

Post by magius13 » Sun Sep 05, 2004 3:01 pm

GlassMan wrote:If you turn the controls off do the fans stop (ie red light goes off) If the fans stay on you've got something plugged into a 12v source. I don't see how all four controls could be defective at once.
I now know what the problem is, got the answer from another forum, but no solution to another problem that came up because of the first answer. Sunbeam fan controllers do not work with fans that only have a single wire 3 pin connection. They only work with 3 pin connections that have 3 wires. (red/black/yellow) The guy said something about the red and black wire controlling the voltage or something. So now I'm trying to figure out how to mod or buy something that will allow me to hook up my 2 vantec tornado 80mm case fans to the sunbeam. The 2 tornado fans have a single yellow 3 pin wire (no red/black) and a 4 pin molex for the power.

Trip
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Trip » Sun Sep 05, 2004 3:07 pm

you'll need a four to three pin adapter. Then, just plug the adapted 3 pins into the rheobus.

The three pin, single wire is for RPM monitoring. Normally that would be plugged into the motherboard. Leave it unplugged.

The reason for the tornado's setup is it requires more power than your motherboard can handle. The Rheobus, however, should be able to handle it. I've only used low powered fans with mine, but it should be able to handle... is it 20W per channel?

The link to the adapter I gave you is to svc.com . You may want to order something else in addition or to search around for a place with lower shipping costs. It costs $1, and I always hate paying more for shipping than for the actual product.

Actually, I'm pretty sure some adapter wires came with my Rheobus.