Review of mCubed T-Balancer in English

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

ultraboy
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by ultraboy » Fri Jul 01, 2005 6:36 pm

Jordan wrote:..So after all this time have any opions changed? Have the software updates up til now changed/added anything?...
Well, the main options are all the same (depend on when you looked at it last time :wink:) . The latest software - now version 2.1.5 - allows a use of iMON VFD. Since I've no interest in that I keep my 2.1.4 version.

Arcanthis

Post by Arcanthis » Fri Jul 01, 2005 7:41 pm

Aleksi wrote:waking this thread...

has any one of you had problems with the sensors / sensor bus dropping out? I've had this happen a few times, all the sensors just simply disappear. The bus is working OK, atleast it is feeding voltage to all of the digital sensor and the analog hub / sensors. Rebooting and restarting the T-Balancer doesn't, both times they started working again pretty randomly. It is also not a cable issue. Both times have happened after software/firmware version 2.1.4., currently using 2.1.5. The other time was actually yesterday.

My friends also had a similar experience, he's using only digital sensors. His server had crashed and when he opened it up he noticed all of the fans had stopped. However the T-Balancer was flashing like everything was normal... :? After this two of his four sensor stopped working totally.

Neither of us have not mailed mCubed about this, thought I'd ask around to see if they were others experiencing this problem?
I'm not using mine currently but while I was putting the computer together I was playing around with the T-Balancer using 2.1.4 and all seemed to be working well. I later flashed it to 2.1.5 and had a similar experience where the fans just stopped and did not start again as the temp went up. I wrote it off at the time for not going through the config again but as I said I'm not using it at this point anyway so have not fooled around with it for a while. I was suspicious it may have been a bug in 2.1.5 though...

Aleksi
Friend of SPCR

Post by Aleksi » Thu Jul 07, 2005 6:05 am

Hi guys,

I contacted Maik about the problems and also sent him links to the SPCR threads about the problems. In short, here's his email:

Hi Aleksi,

We do not know this problem and it does not happen here. We implemented in the 2.1.5 from today a sensor connectivity check.

Best regards, Maik

So the firmware 2.1.5 was updated, I will update my T-Balancer soon as possible. Let hope the problem is solved!

mikesm

Post by mikesm » Sun Aug 14, 2005 11:29 pm

Hi. I am still trying to figure out an answer to the problem I outlined in http://forums.silentpcreview.com/viewtopic.php?t=24511.

For those of you who have a T-balancer, what happends if you remove the USB connection to the PC? Does the T-balancer continue to operate on the policy that was last set in it, or does it shut off all the fans?

Obviously the fans and the T-balancer are powered seperately from the PC.

Thanks in advance, and sorry if this question has already been answered - I searched the forums and couldn't find out it's behavior from other posts.

Mike

frankgehry

Post by frankgehry » Sun Aug 14, 2005 11:40 pm

I guess I could find out why you want to know this by reading your other post but maybe some other time. Anyway, I just unplugged the usb cable and the fans continued to run as before. The power for the fans is supplied from a molex connector and the usb connection allows you monitor the sensors and make changes through the user interface. - FG

ultraboy
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by ultraboy » Mon Aug 15, 2005 5:23 am

mikesm wrote:..For those of you who have a T-balancer, what happends if you remove the USB connection to the PC? Does the T-balancer continue to operate on the policy that was last set in it, or does it shut off all the fans?...
T-balancer has its own microprocessor and will remember the last setting you have. You may notice that when system is turned on all fans will go 100% for 2-3 seconds and your fan setting will kick in - this usually occur even before POST is finished. :)

USB cable is needed only when you update firmware, or want to reconfigure the various setting in software. In my case, I export variables from T-balancer to jaLcds so I need USB cable and software running all the time to get update info.

mikesm

Post by mikesm » Mon Aug 15, 2005 10:24 am

ultraboy wrote:
mikesm wrote:..For those of you who have a T-balancer, what happends if you remove the USB connection to the PC? Does the T-balancer continue to operate on the policy that was last set in it, or does it shut off all the fans?...
T-balancer has its own microprocessor and will remember the last setting you have. You may notice that when system is turned on all fans will go 100% for 2-3 seconds and your fan setting will kick in - this usually occur even before POST is finished. :)

USB cable is needed only when you update firmware, or want to reconfigure the various setting in software. In my case, I export variables from T-balancer to jaLcds so I need USB cable and software running all the time to get update info.
Outstanding. This means I can use the t-balancer to control new ventilation fans in my A/V rack to help keep it cool when all the gear is on and convection isn't adequate. You can find simple temp controller circuits for such applications, but I really wanted the PWM control to keep things quiet...

PS What's the best place to buy them from in the US? Apparently some retailers don't like their US distributor, and so the usual suspects don't carry it.

Thanks,
Mike

ultraboy
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by ultraboy » Tue Aug 16, 2005 5:16 am

Someone in this forum was asking that same question recently, I think it's 3DCool.com. If you have problem finding it, you can always order directly from mCubed Shop.

Myth!
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Myth! » Sat Oct 01, 2005 4:13 am

mike, just remember that the T-bal is powered via a PC molex connector like those you plug into a CD-drive. You mentioned using it in your 'A/V rack' and I just wondered if that rack included a PC PSU anywhere to provide the power?

OK, ignore that...just seen a 15w or 60w external power supply on mCubed's website! :roll:

Myth!
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Myth! » Tue Oct 04, 2005 4:56 am

jones_r wrote:Ok, here is what mCubed had to say about the attenuator issue:

The PWM noise comes mostly with high frequencies. We are working with frequencies between 0 and 200. Some fans do a little rumbling at low speeds. That rumbling can be diminished with our attenuators which turn digital voltage into analog curves/waves.

How the attenuator works:
- T-Balancer does no analog conversion: then it would not be possible to reduce fan speed to almost 2%.
- T-Balancer does no voltage conversion: then it would not be possible to reduce fan speed to almost 2%.
- To reduce PWM noise we offer to adjust to PWM frequency, that means to change the time between the 12V signals.

But, the attenuator is making DC conversion! Sometimes the adjusting of the PWM frequency is not sufficient. But with the attenuator, everything works.

Another secret of the T-Balancer is: we have no pure PWM (rectangles): we have rounded up the edges of the rectangle to make it smooth.

We hope, that we could help you and that you will enjoy the T-Balancer!

Best regards,
Maik Berendt
I know this is a year later...but just wanted to add some info I got from mCubed today

The whole SL4 unit can only run in PWM mode. The mNG can do both.
"Curve voltage" [using attenuator] is a mixture between PWM and analog voltage. Nearly like a sinus curve between 0 and 12V.

For finding the best ration between noise and speed I suggest to:
- triggering the frequency around 80
- avoiding speeds between 2% and 40% (make a step into the curve)
- using an attenuator, FanAmp or miniNG for speeds less than 40%.

Best regards, Maik

I did ask for a technical analysis of the attenuator output...but i think the translations are not quite making sense to them. I would really like a graph of the voltage out over time to clarify what we think. Can anyone help who has digital T-ban, attenuator and an occilloscope?

Bonalandia

LCD display for Antec P180

Post by Bonalandia » Sun Feb 26, 2006 11:36 am

Hi,

Sorry for this little question... which little LCDs for fan monitoring could I use to put on (preferably not inside a 5,25 bay, as I'd have to open the little door everytime I want to control the LCD) an Antec P180, compatable with Win2003 and WinXP?!?

Thank you!

TD22057

Re: LCD display for Antec P180

Post by TD22057 » Sun Feb 26, 2006 4:09 pm

Bonalandia wrote:Hi,

Sorry for this little question... which little LCDs for fan monitoring could I use to put on (preferably not inside a 5,25 bay, as I'd have to open the little door everytime I want to control the LCD) an Antec P180, compatable with Win2003 and WinXP?!?

Thank you!
If you don't mind running software, you can run Samurize and build your own display. Here's some info on my setup:

http://forums.silentpcreview.com/viewtopic.php?t=29128

Larry

Post by Larry » Tue Apr 04, 2006 5:31 am

Sent an email to mcubed the other day looking to buy a T-balancer. The product was no longer listed in the store section of their website. Their response indicated they expect a replacement product to the T-balancer in about a month. He called it the Big NG. Sounds very interesting.

ultraboy
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by ultraboy » Tue Apr 04, 2006 8:31 am

It's about time for a new generation, I think.

From the proposed name, it sounds like the miniMG on steroid. :lol: