Papst 4412FGL vs. Acoustifan 120mm

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

MrMajestic

Papst 4412FGL vs. Acoustifan 120mm

Post by MrMajestic » Sat Oct 09, 2004 3:09 am

Im am about to buy three 120mm fans for my case and heatsink. I am wondering if the Acoustifan is a better contender than the Papst 4412FGL? I have had several Papsts but I havent really had the chance to compare them to anything else. I have one sitting in my modified Fortron PSU. The Acoustifan is quite new on the Swedish market so I havent heard much about it locally.

Oh I almost forgot, can the temp sensor on the Acoustifan be disabled?

Bluefront
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Bluefront » Sat Oct 09, 2004 4:08 am

I'm interested in the Acoustifan also. The 120mm version is available without thermo-control. If you get one report back please....

link

MrMajestic

Post by MrMajestic » Sat Oct 09, 2004 4:14 am

Bluefront wrote:I'm interested in the Acoustifan also. The 120mm version is available without thermo-control. If you get one report back please....

link
Will look for it, but I think its not available here. Also, judging from the label, I bet these are made by Globe.

Bluefront
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Bluefront » Sat Oct 09, 2004 4:43 am

If you just short (cut off the sensor and connect the two wires) the thermal-control sensor, the fan should run at full speed. This might be a better deal because the prices for the two fans are the same....at this site anyway.

MrMajestic

Post by MrMajestic » Sat Oct 09, 2004 5:27 am

Bluefront wrote:If you just short (cut off the sensor and connect the two wires) the thermal-control sensor, the fan should run at full speed. This might be a better deal because the prices for the two fans are the same....at this site anyway.
Well, I looked around and I cant find anyone here in Sweden that sell the non-thermal version. Might pick one up just to try it, but I have to do the snip-snip.

acaurora
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by acaurora » Sat Oct 09, 2004 8:13 am

From personal experience, the 4412FGL is a lot better - if you have a fan controller. The Acoustifan 120mm, nonthermal or not, to me is not a good choice. Others have chosen it, but in my opinion it isn't good in terms of silence/airflow. The Papst, on the other hand, combined with a fan controller, can prove to be a flexible fan that can move massive amounts to just enough. Best of all, it is pretty quiet at low speeds while moving a decent amount of air.

If you're looking for a nice 120mm fan that's quiet, look at the Nexus 12Cm Real Silent Case fan.

burcakb

Post by burcakb » Sat Oct 09, 2004 8:49 am

Bluefront? Am I mistaken? don't you already have loads of Globe fans? Why would you want the considerably more expensive Acoustis? Unless it's for the clear plastic looks?

I don't know the Papst but I do know that the 120mm globes sometimes have a low click that doesn't quite dissapear when undervolted. This seems to be limited to the 120mm, the 80 and 92 are perfectly balanced and absolutely quiet. Nexus on the other hand don't have any noise. If you want the safety margin extra airflow the globe/acoustis are good. If you don't need any extra backup then Nexus is probably the quietest out-of-the-box 120mm fan.

Bluefront
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Bluefront » Sat Oct 09, 2004 9:20 am

Yeah well....I've got a big box of different 120mm fans, but most are two-wire fans without rpm monitoring. Thought I'd try something different since my current project requires a fan I can accurately control. I've always had doubts that what I hear in a fan, will be the same as others report. :?

Tephras

Post by Tephras » Sat Oct 09, 2004 11:07 am

MrMajestic wrote:Well, I looked around and I cant find anyone here in Sweden that sell the non-thermal version. Might pick one up just to try it, but I have to do the snip-snip.
I believe you can find the non-thermal version at webhallen.com. The only AcoustiFan that is listed as the thermal version is the 92mm fan and if you look at the article nr on the 80mm and the 120mm fans you will see that it is the article nr for the non-thermal version even though the product info on the resellers site says that it is thermo-controlled. I suppose the best is to contact webhallen and ask them. On the other hand, as you say, you can always do a snip-off so if it is a thermal-version or not might not be such a big deal.

MrMajestic

Post by MrMajestic » Sat Oct 09, 2004 12:31 pm

Tephras wrote:
MrMajestic wrote:Well, I looked around and I cant find anyone here in Sweden that sell the non-thermal version. Might pick one up just to try it, but I have to do the snip-snip.
I believe you can find the non-thermal version at webhallen.com. The only AcoustiFan that is listed as the thermal version is the 92mm fan and if you look at the article nr on the 80mm and the 120mm fans you will see that it is the article nr for the non-thermal version even though the product info on the resellers site says that it is thermo-controlled. I suppose the best is to contact webhallen and ask them. On the other hand, as you say, you can always do a snip-off so if it is a thermal-version or not might not be such a big deal.
Ah cool, I will check with Webhallen since its very near where I live.

Agent420

Post by Agent420 » Sat Oct 09, 2004 6:21 pm

Why would you want the considerably more expensive Acoustis? Unless it's for the clear plastic looks?
Globe 120mm fans click slightly but run slower. The leads are not as long as AF120's. Though the AF120's wont start under 5V so you couldnt use them in a Super Tornado since the start voltage is something like 4.6. I tried anyway but it didnt work :(
Right now I have an AF120 in the Tornado connected to 3 pin header on MB and it starts at around 625rpms at night,but around 700 rpm during the day because of thermistor on the fan. It will go up to around 815 rpm.
The stock fan would start at 650rpm and rise to 900 rpm under load.
I may move the thermistor to a warmer spot so I can get closer to around 850 rpms. The PSU runs pretty cool while gaming and while testing with prime 95 as well.