2-fan system?

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Boshin

2-fan system?

Post by Boshin » Sun Oct 10, 2004 3:50 am

I need to quiet down a friends comp, significantly and with no performance loss. He currently has 4 fans, powersupply/cpu/gfx/northbridge. I was thinking of cutting the amount of fans to 2 in the following way:

-Install Zalman ZM80D on gfx card and use it passively
-Install Zalman passive northbridge cooler
-Install Nexus NX3500SE 12cm powersupply
-Install Aerocool HT-101 (to blow straight into the NX3500)

The idea is to block the standard 80mm rear exhaust slot, open up 2 pci-slots at the bottom for intake (additional intake holes on lower front of case where intake fan can be placed) and use the NX3500 as the only exhaust. The proc. cooler draws air from the lower part of the case straight to the powersupply for exhaust.

So both the psu and cooler draw air from the bottom of the case, passing through the ZM80D and northbridge cooler, through the proc cooler and out through the psu. Basically a poor mans Nexus Breeze case.

The system is xp2100+, gf4 ti4400 and nforce-chip. It's in a micro-atx case , that should help to draw the cool air from the bottom.

What do you think about this setup, is it viable?

Bluefront
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Bluefront » Sun Oct 10, 2004 6:17 am

Absolutely you can run a two-fan system....it just depends on airflow. The only problem you might have is with HD temps. There are no absolute directions for your setup...you have to use common sense, monitor temps at various places, and make certain there are clear, unobstructed airflow paths through the case.

alleycat

Post by alleycat » Sun Oct 10, 2004 7:34 am

Ideally for a 2-fan system you would want a CPU heatsink which can be ducted to exhaust heat to the outside (there are a couple of ways you can do this). That way you take most of the heat load away from your PSU, allowing its fan to run slower. Make an opening in the front so that cool air will be drawn in by negative pressure, preferably directed over the HDD and towards the graphics card. You will then not need an intake fan (source of noise), plus get a higher volume of air through the system (push-pull configuration moves less air than two fans pulling).

Boshin

Post by Boshin » Sun Oct 10, 2004 10:31 am

The case has some kind of airduct in it, here's link to a pdf with pics:

http://www.hec-group.com.tw/download/6K%20Case.pdf

It's the type2 duct. What's the best course of action with this case if you only want 2 fans? No cutting allowed :D

Edit: How about a Zalman 6000-series flower cooler for the processor with 92mm rear exhaust (no duct) and 120mm psu. Think the cpu will stay cool enough?

silvervarg

Post by silvervarg » Sun Oct 10, 2004 11:42 pm

The link you posted does not work.

The Zalman 6000 cooler is not that great, so I would not recommend it for this CPU.
The passive cooler on the northbridge is defenatly a good choise.
I also like the idea with a big passive cooler on the GPU and leaving at least one PCI slot open to make sure you get some airflow over the AGP card.

Judging from the components in your computer it does not produce too much heat, so you might just want to go with a CPU cooler that exhausts air out the back of the case (ducted).
This takes most of the heat load of the PSU, so you could run with almost any PSU with a low speed fan. Either a temp controlled fan that goes low by itself or mod a PSU to a low fixed speed.

Boshin

Post by Boshin » Mon Oct 11, 2004 1:34 am

Interesting, the link works for me on both IE and Mozilla, try right-clicking save target as. If it still doesn't work try here http://www.hec-group.com.tw/product/product_b.asp?id=9 and choose product manual at the top.

What type of coolers are available that exhaust directly out of the system (I assume through the rear fan exhaust)? Or is there some type of modding involved?