which 120mm fans I should buy for my ever case 4252?

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

bomba

Post by bomba » Tue Nov 09, 2004 9:37 am

princejoe wrote:thanks for the feedbacks, tibors and bomba. Bomba, are u trying to tell me that the speedfan won't be able to control all the case fans and CPU fan? Thanks
Depends on the motherboard implementation, I've built a half dozen PC's recently. The P4 AOPEN AX4SPE-MAX allow speedfan to control (2) case fans headers and CPU fan. The Asus P4P800dlx allows control only of the CPU fan. A micro-ATX Intel branded 865G board, forget the m/n, allowed control of case fan and cpu fan and the Shuttle MN31 IIRC did not allow control of any fans. If you do a search here for "speedfan NF7-S" you'll find a number of hits that are somewhat contradictory. But don't fret, the Globe fans will work in either case. If you can slow em w/ speedfan, great; they respond well to pwm. If not, just clip off thermal diode, short the leads together and wire the fans into fixed 5v from the a PSU molex connector. Globe fans will be very quiet at 5v and still provide adequate airflow for case cooling.

krooton

Post by krooton » Tue Nov 09, 2004 10:20 am

Could someone explain in details (mebbe even pics) on how to short the thermosistor on the globes?

I need to do this when I get home to hook it up to my fancontroller and am not to sure how :?

bomba

Post by bomba » Tue Nov 09, 2004 10:45 am

krooton wrote:Could someone explain in details (mebbe even pics) on how to short the thermosistor on the globes?

I need to do this when I get home to hook it up to my fancontroller and am not to sure how :?
Sure, just snip off the thermistor. Then strip back the insulation on the two wires & twist em together. Wrap em up w/ electrical tape and you're done. Of course, if you like, you can do a more professional job with a soldering iron & heat shrink tubing. I found that the globe label on the fan housing is a big sticker. Upon peeling it up, there is a small printed circuit board underneath. The fan leads are all soldered to this pcb. I de-soldered the thermistor leads from this pcb, and replaced them with a wire jumper, then pressed the label/sticker back in place. Fans now look like factory 3-wire fans without thermal control.

krooton

Post by krooton » Tue Nov 09, 2004 12:57 pm

holy crap!!!

these globes are amazing!!!

unbelievably quiet for the amount of cfm they push at 5v :shock: :D
woohoo!

yet another thank you to you wonderful folks :D