Sapphire 9800 Pro with Zalman Cooler and 80mm fan
Nexus NX-3000 300W PSU
Pioneer 108 DVD Writer
Lite-On 52x CD Writer
80gig Seagate Barracuda HD
Samsung SP1614C 160gig HD
2 front 80mm fans and one 80mm rear fan
Additional Firewire + USB2 card

I've built the PC myself and have tried to bring the noise down with every bit I've bought as my PC is on 24/7. With all fans hooked up and the CPU fan running at 2800rpm I get a case temp of about 46 idle and 54 cpu
If I run Far Cry then it the CPU will get to about 62. This is all ok but I want to reduce the noise vastly when I use my PC for its main purpose (internet, email and jukebox). With CPU Idle running, the CPU runs at about 48 when under these conditions so I have quite a bit of room to reduce the fan speeds

Alot of people seem to be getting alot cooler temperatures than me and I really don't know why, the room is pretty cool and the airflow is pretty good in my PC

Please can you recommend an intelligent fan controller or any other advice to bring the noise down to the bare minimum. I'll leave it there because I seem to be rambling

Thanks in advance

Oli

Gxcad
Patron of SPCR

Post by Gxcad » Thu Nov 25, 2004 7:23 am

I think upgrading your cpu cooler may help you out a lot, I suggest the Zalman 7000 Alcu for example. It should cool significantly better than the flower cooler for just around $30 with a fan and fan controller included. At 5v on the included fanmate the 7000 AlCu is decently quiet. Just make sure your mobo supports it, you'll need the 4 mounting holes. If this cooler won't fit there are still a lot of better coolers than the 6000 series.

-Ken

oliroe

Post by oliroe » Thu Nov 25, 2004 8:02 am

Thanks for that

Generally what should the temperature difference between case and cpu be?

Another problem with the flower cooler is that it's such a large and heavy heatsink that when I knock my PC (it's by my feet under my desk) my PC freezes, requiring a hard reboot. I'm almost possitive that this is to do with the heatsink moving.

teejay
Patron of SPCR

Post by teejay » Thu Nov 25, 2004 8:34 am

I heartily second the heatsink suggestion; that will give you a big drop in cpu temperature probably. Are those die or socket temperatures (i.e. from the motherboard or the cpu itself)? The Zalman 7000 is quite heavy as well (even the AlCu version) so you could also try the Thermalright SI97 with something like a Nexus fan. A bit pricier, but lately I've read a few remarks about the 7000 being the loudest component in setups... wouldn't want that :) depends on the overall noise level me thinks.

O, I forgot, first post: Welcome to SPCR!

I myself like "intelligent fan controllers" a lot but they too are not the holy grail of silent computing: other people here have built machines that are near-silent without any intelligence... in their components anyway :wink: I have a T-Balancer which is great but has some issues with PWM resonance in fans and - for some people - with the temp sensors. Search and find...

You didn't mention the brands/types on your case and vga fans; are those the stock Adda fans that came with your Lian Li? If so, there are quieter models out there (although they aren't bad, assuming they are the same that come with a 6089 case). The Zalman fan is not so quiet so if you intend to keep the 6000 cooler I'd get another fan for that at least.

For reference: with a pretty standard (but good) copper heatsink from a Coolermaster Aero7 combined with a Nexus 80mm fan I get cpu die temps of about 47C idle (fan @ 900rpm) and 55C under heavy load (fan ~1200rpm) on an XP2800+. Case temps: mobo sensor reads 31C, T-Balancer measures 25C in the lower part of the case and 29C at the very top (not calibrated), ambient 21C.

Cosine

Another possibility

Post by Cosine » Thu Nov 25, 2004 10:43 am

What kind of motherboard is it, temp readings can vary as much as 10c from brand to brand for the same situation, a lot of manufacturers report their temps on the cool side so it looks better to tweakers, other motherboard makers like MSI use the 'real' number reported.

Don't pay too much attention to the temps themselves, unless you are having stability problems, which I don't think you mentioned, then you are fine, the system actually doing something in response to the heat, rather than just reporting a higher temp, should always be the gauge by which you measure things.

just my opinion, i could be wrong,
Cos

oliroe

Post by oliroe » Thu Nov 25, 2004 1:07 pm

My mobo is an Asus A7V600 and my pc hangs at anything over a cpu temp of about 70. Basically want near silence for surfing, music etc and the ability to switch on fans when I'm playing a game or DVD. I'm not too impressed with my Nexus PSU, thought it was supposed to be one of the quietest.

Think my next step is a fan controller so I can turn on some fans as and when required

teejay
Patron of SPCR

Post by teejay » Thu Nov 25, 2004 1:30 pm

As I understand it the Nexus psu's have gotten better with each higher rated version... I think the 4090 is the only one that really gets recommended around here. The overheating issue will be mostly resolved with another heatsink/fan combo I think.

Besides the psu, what are main noise sources?

oliroe

Post by oliroe » Thu Nov 25, 2004 3:16 pm

Right, bought myself an Akasa fan controller on ebay. I'm just gonna set all the fan I have (3 case fans that came with the Lian case, Zalman ZM-OP1 graphics card fan and Zalman CPU fan) to pretty low revs of about 1200. That way I'm hoping they'll all be pretty silent and also give me good airflow, I can bump them up with the controller if I need anymore.

MY HD's are pretty silent and there are the only other noise comes from my Nexus PSU. Think I may well have to replace this

Sizzle
Patron of SPCR

Post by Sizzle » Fri Nov 26, 2004 6:14 am

I have the same case as you. My idle temps are roughly like so:

CPU 42
Case 37
NB 39

Here is my current setup:
No intake fans. I have the intake "grille" off the bottom of the case.
Exhaust I have two Nexus 80mm fans in the rear, but I may cut that down to one. I also have a 92mm Nexus blowhole fan at the top.
I have a Nexus fan exhausting my PSU.
CPU is being cooled by a Thermalright SP 94 with a 92mm Nexus on it.
NB is cooled by a Thermalright NB-1C with a 40mm SilenX fan on it.

oliroe

Post by oliroe » Fri Nov 26, 2004 12:51 pm

I've put my old Topower 370W PSU back in, put it on the lowest fan setting and disconnected one of the 3 fans. This is pretty damn quiet now. With just the PSU fans and the fan on about 1500rpm over my Zalman flower I'm satisfied with the noise levels. It's running at about 54 degrees when not doing anything processor heavy

Once I get my Akasa fan controller I'll be able to hook up the 2 front fans, one rear fan and the Zalman fan over my 9800pro. I reckon if I set all the fans going at about 1200-1500rpm it should still be very quiet and also cool enough for Far Cry. I'll get the controller on Tuesday and let you know

This'll have to do while I wait for an external 300W PSU to come out. Is the Zalman the only one in the pipeline??

Thanks

Oli

oliroe

Post by oliroe » Thu Jan 19, 2006 8:03 am

Hi there

My setup since the top of this post has changed quite a bit

Abit AV8
Athlon 64 3400 with thermalright heatsink and 120mm fan
1 gig Geil RAM
Sapphire 9800pro with Zalman cooler
1 Raptor + 2 x 7200 HD's

Basically my main problem is noise from my Enermax Noisetaker which keeps ramping up and down every 3 mins. I've decided to buy a new PSU and am considering one of these

Elan Vital Greenerger 450W - £120
Phantom 500 - £105
Seasonic 430W - £90

Considering my PC isn't the coolest, (NB temp of about 40) which would you consider the quietest for my system. Very tempted by the Elan as I've heard great things about it

Thanks in advance

Oli

oliroe

Post by oliroe » Thu Jan 19, 2006 8:03 am

Hi there

My setup since the top of this post has changed quite a bit

Abit AV8
Athlon 64 3400 with thermalright heatsink and 120mm fan
1 gig Geil RAM
Sapphire 9800pro with Zalman cooler
1 Raptor + 2 x 7200 HD's

Basically my main problem is noise from my Enermax Noisetaker which keeps ramping up and down every 3 mins. I've decided to buy a new PSU and am considering one of these

Elan Vital Greenerger 450W - £120
Phantom 500 - £105
Seasonic 430W - £90

Considering my PC isn't the coolest, (NB temp of about 40) which would you consider the quietest for my system. Very tempted by the Elan as I've heard great things about it

Thanks in advance

Oli

teejay
Patron of SPCR

Post by teejay » Thu Jan 19, 2006 12:31 pm

See my reply in the power supply forum.