This fan looks like a NEXUS 120mm (FOR $8 + shipping)

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

velvet45

Post by velvet45 » Wed Feb 02, 2005 11:00 am

Frankgehry,

Yes, but the model # is simply 8025M-blk. There is no B or S designation like the 120's have. Seems strange that they would do this but most people probably wouldn't know or care about the difference. According to Yate Loon, these fans are 29dBL at 12 volts with no difference between the type of bearing.

How are the rest of you guys liking those Tekgem 120's? Recommend the site? I will order some if positive so far. Maybe get some of the D120SL's and D120SM"S. Can you split an order of 10 and get 5 each?

neologan

Post by neologan » Wed Feb 02, 2005 11:19 am

same here, just order 10 Yate Loon D12SL-12's, at least i hope they turn up as Yate Loons.

eander315

Post by eander315 » Wed Feb 02, 2005 12:55 pm

You cannot split orders at that site. The pricing on the 120mm is over $10 each until you hit 10, then it's about $4. Shipped to Texas it came to about $48 for 10. According to my tracking number, I should be receiving them today. It's taken about 5 days, including the weekend. Maybe you could find someone who will spplit an order with you.

milo

Post by milo » Wed Feb 02, 2005 1:36 pm

C'mon in, the water's fine! Just got 10 D12SL-12s through TekGems - no problems whatsoever, too MUCH E-mail notification if anything, and same-state ground UPS shipment arrival two business days after I ordered. Box came solidly packed and undamaged, two bubble-wrapped groups of five fans each along with large air paks to fill in the gaps. I haven't tested the fan bearings yet to see how they survived.

A good experience, and I'll likely order through them again.
Last edited by milo on Wed Feb 02, 2005 3:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Thunder

Post by Thunder » Wed Feb 02, 2005 2:44 pm

If I had known techgems was in SF i would of ordered from them, I live only an hour away! O well my week of wating for isellsurplus fans if over so I guess its ok in the end.

Bluefront
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Bluefront » Wed Feb 02, 2005 3:20 pm

velvet45....In my order from CompGeeks I got five Typhoon 80mm fans FM802512M(aluminum frame with silver blades), and two Yate Loon 80mm aluminum frame with black blades.

The Typhoon branded are quieter than the Yate Loon, both run a little over 2000 rpms, same rated amperage (.14A). When I ran the Typhoon fans with a PWM controller, they made some motor noise. The Yate Loon 80s do not. They both start ok at 5V.....both are good quiet fans.

scorpionv

Post by scorpionv » Wed Feb 02, 2005 3:40 pm

Just wanted to chime in with a good experience from TechGems. Ordered a 10-pack of the 120mm Yate Loons on Sunday and received them today. So got them in 3 business days which is not bad at all. Like everyone else I received a bunch of emails between placing the order and shipping, this guy seems to be going out of his way to provide good service.

neologan

Post by neologan » Wed Feb 02, 2005 4:01 pm

can someone who got the orange 120's confirm they are the yate loons we all want?

milo

Post by milo » Wed Feb 02, 2005 4:32 pm

The TekGems orange fans are 120mmx25mm, frame with raised YATE LOON letters on side, black label in center of hub with rectangles surrounding "DC BRUSHLESS D12SL-12 DC 12V 0.3A" and a bunch of cert stamps. They match the picture on the website. 4-pin Molex and 3-pin heatshrink-wrapped motherboard connectors; looks as if the mobo connector is the full three wires and not just the tach line.

frankgehry

80 mm fans

Post by frankgehry » Wed Feb 02, 2005 5:43 pm

Velvet,

Bluefront should know it the fans are any good. I bought my 120mm orange ones from isellsurplus so I missed the 10@3.?? bargain. I like the black 80's better than the aluminum or clear but its just a matter of personal peference. Clear plastic fans are about 25% lighter than solid plastic ones. I'm not sure if it makes any difference, however. I guess you can't really tell by the model number on the 80's

Becks

Post by Becks » Wed Feb 02, 2005 6:53 pm

Just got 10 in from tekgems.. heh took one day... from SF to the east bay. came in 2 packs of 5 fans wrapped in bubble wrap just like the othe rperson who described it.... they arn't stacked perfectly... don't see anywhere were too much pressure mighta been put on the hubs... looks like only the frames of the fans touch.

I'd order form tekgems again... <$50 shipped for 10 fans? It'd be hard to match that even buying crappy fans ;). They also come with both 4 pin and 3 pin connectors depending on what you want.... which is nice if you ask me cause i'm used to having boxes of untailed panaflo l1as from bgmicro... every time i go to put a fan in a comptuer i gtta spend 10 min finding a connector to put on them.

ANyways.... havn't tried any yet but i'll get aroudn to it soon.... got alot of upgrades to my computer that have been too busy to put in heh :(.

milo

Post by milo » Wed Feb 02, 2005 9:44 pm

Okay, tried out my batch of 10 with a junkbox PSU and a Zalman FanMate.

:shock:

I think I just graduated from the "what's wrong with Vantec Stealth?" phase. Yeah, shoulda listened to you guys, but my noob Sonata-housed HTPC was already quiet enough that my friends couldn't tell when it was on. Sure, the Antec case fan wasn't bad -

Yate Loon at 12V: "Hello? Is this thing on?"

If I put my ear in blade-chewing distance of it, I can just hear some motor noise. Hard to tell, since it's being drowned out by my cat's low rumble and the two-doors-down neighbors' ceiling fan.

Good enough for the project; should I stop now? Eh, got the FanMate. Why not.

Yate Loon at 5V:
... Man, was it noisy at 12V.

Tested the whole batch of 10. Six good ones, two that still buzz a little even at 5V, and two amazing samples that are below my hearing threshold at the full 12V.

Darn it, kitten, turn down that purr! Sorbothane cat bed for you, buddy!
Last edited by milo on Thu Feb 03, 2005 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mr_Smartepants

Post by Mr_Smartepants » Thu Feb 03, 2005 1:36 am

Mr_Smartepants wrote:Bummer! :cry:
UPS Tracker wrote: Feb 1, 2005
10:57 A.M.

SAN FRANCISCO, CA, US

THE RECEIVER WAS UNAVAILABLE TO SIGN ON THE 1ST DELIVERY ATTEMPT. A 2ND DELIVERY ATTEMPT WILL BE MADE
Guess I'm waiting an extra day.
I got a personal email from the tekgems owner about this post. He took the time to let me know why he wasn't available for the UPS delivery and sent my package out right away (haven't received it yet but it's on it's way across the pond).
I've never received a personal email before from a business in all my years building systems. This is a good sign that he's going out of his way to make a good impression. It also shows that he's reading this (long, getting longer) thread and paying attention to comments.

Smoken Joe

Post by Smoken Joe » Thu Feb 03, 2005 3:37 am

I hate to ask but how much air do they move?

Edward Ng
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Edward Ng » Thu Feb 03, 2005 3:47 am

Mr_Smartepants wrote:
Mr_Smartepants wrote:Bummer! :cry:
UPS Tracker wrote: Feb 1, 2005
10:57 A.M.

SAN FRANCISCO, CA, US

THE RECEIVER WAS UNAVAILABLE TO SIGN ON THE 1ST DELIVERY ATTEMPT. A 2ND DELIVERY ATTEMPT WILL BE MADE
Guess I'm waiting an extra day.
I got a personal email from the tekgems owner about this post. He took the time to let me know why he wasn't available for the UPS delivery and sent my package out right away (haven't received it yet but it's on it's way across the pond).
I've never received a personal email before from a business in all my years building systems. This is a good sign that he's going out of his way to make a good impression. It also shows that he's reading this (long, getting longer) thread and paying attention to comments.
TekGems registered an account in our forums last night with the associated web site in his/her profile as www.tekgems.com.

-Ed

neologan

Post by neologan » Thu Feb 03, 2005 5:51 am

Well i dunno what has happened but i tried to email the owner of tekgems and after trying to get an answer on whether or not these fans were Yate Loons, he evaded an answer over and over and couldn't even confirm that they had d12sl-12's written on them or that the ones he was selling are the ones in the picture on his website. I said if he can't confirm can he hold off my order till some on this forum gets a batch and can confirm. He then canceled my order, then was told if i want to buy them i can always resubmit my order, so i did, even though i got no answer on these being yate loon d12sl-12's - i decided to risk it. Today i wake up and he's cancelled my order.

What the?? You know what bugs me the most? From what you guys are saying these are indeed Yate Loon d12sl-12's so why did he act like this and not let me submit my order?
Last edited by neologan on Thu Feb 03, 2005 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

velvet45

Post by velvet45 » Thu Feb 03, 2005 6:27 am

Neologan,
Sorry to hear of your unfortunate conversation with Mr. Kim of Tekgems. I can understand your frustration but it sounds like he feels that you are too risky a customer to do business with (perhaps there was more to this conversation?) Seems strange that he would cancel your order for no reason other than your hesitance to purchase originally. At any rate these are obviously what we are looking for so I am not sure why he could not confirm the product on the phone. I wonder, was there a communication difficulty that led to this confusion?

Can anyone else confirm that these are authentic Yate Loons? How about the quality?- Becks, Scorpionv- please let us know about the quality and quietness of your samples if you can. Milo, you mentioned 6 out of 10 being good, were the other 4 all that bad aside from buzzing (are you using PWM fan control?). Hopefully, there is no variation in the orders that people are receiving aside from individual sample variances between fans.

Does anyone know what these fans usually cost from other suppliers and if there is a difference in quality here that we should be concerned about (6 out of 10 excellent ones seems reasonable to me if you are considering normal manufacturing tolerance variations)?

p5

Post by p5 » Thu Feb 03, 2005 7:01 am

I've ordered 11 of these Yate loon orange fans to be shipped to me here in the UK, postage was $28.

I've already paid by paypal so I hope I don't run into the problems you were having Neologan.

By the way I won't need all 11 so if any UK people need any (I think I'm keeping 4 for myself), you can have them at what it costs me per fan + postage.

neologan

Post by neologan » Thu Feb 03, 2005 7:53 am

yeah, there were more emails between us but it wasn't really argumentitive, not really sure what the problem is :? I asked if they were Yate Loons, he didn't answer in the next 5 emails between us and i pretty much said fair enough, i'll risk it anyway and went ahead and ordered.

Anyhow, i'm in the uk so i'd be interested in those left over fans now that i am banned from ordering from tekgens :?: :?: :?:

*EDIT* actually there seems to be a lod of emails in my junk folder from Kim, let me just find out whats going on.

tay
Friend of SPCR

Post by tay » Thu Feb 03, 2005 8:16 am

EDIT : see posts below and above

There are people in this thread that you can buy the fans from in any case.

Speaking of which, if anyone is willing to ship to MA I wouldnt mind 3-5 fans myself. Just dont send me the bum ones ;) I'll pay a bit more to make it worth your time. Thanks!
Last edited by tay on Thu Feb 03, 2005 9:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

neologan

Post by neologan » Thu Feb 03, 2005 8:21 am

cheers tay, called my bank and it may stay in the system like this for 4 days so it might not be kims fault that it looks like the money is going out.

Anyhow, i'm going to edit the posts as i don't want to give bad publicity over this when everyone buy me seems to be able to order from him without trouble.

p5

Post by p5 » Thu Feb 03, 2005 9:55 am

I'll let you know further Neologan when I've received them and been charged all the customs and VAT.

I think it will be under £7 inc postage per fan though, maybe £6.

edz

Post by edz » Thu Feb 03, 2005 10:06 am

p5: I may be interested in buying ~2 of the fans. Could you pm or post here when you work out the final cost.

Thanks,
ed

milo

Post by milo » Thu Feb 03, 2005 12:13 pm

you mentioned 6 out of 10 being good, were the other 4 all that bad aside from buzzing (are you using PWM fan control?)
8 of 10 were good - two of those just happened to be so good that I may not bother undervolting them. The other two are still much quieter than the Sonata case fan, but they have a barely audible modulated whirr even at 5V. Sounds like around 1000-1200 Hz modulated by about 20 Hz, and unlike the other fans I can feel a slight vibration when I touch the frame. Not unusable,
but perhaps relegated to the exhaust.

No PWM yet, unless the Zalman FanMate's more than the small trimpot it appears to be. I do have a Crystalfontz 633 I may try experimenting with.

Xier325i

Post by Xier325i » Thu Feb 03, 2005 12:30 pm

Hello everyone,

I've been lurking since the start of the year and have been follwing this thread for some time now.

I thought I may as well add what I may.

I placed an order last night after reading that milo received Yate Loon fans in good working condition.

I was browsing the actual page for the item again and noticed that it is now updated with a close up of the fan hub, albeit just a blurry zoom of the main picture. However, Mr. Kim also added the words YATE LOON to the back of the description. Seems to me he is not hiding what fans they are and is now helping those who are unsure.

I for one do hope they are the right fans and i will be sure to let everyone know when i receive them.

LL

Mr_Smartepants

Post by Mr_Smartepants » Thu Feb 03, 2005 1:02 pm

Xier325i, hope you have a good experience too.
Oh, and...
Welcome to SPCR!

Heh, I finally got one in there! 8)
Last edited by Mr_Smartepants on Thu Feb 03, 2005 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

milo

Post by milo » Thu Feb 03, 2005 1:10 pm

Man, HE got one... :)

Mr_Smartepants

Post by Mr_Smartepants » Thu Feb 03, 2005 1:27 pm

milo wrote:Man, HE got one... :)
Doh! :? My bad! Better late then never....

Welcome to SPCR!

Oooh, I got another one!

frankgehry

mail order

Post by frankgehry » Thu Feb 03, 2005 1:33 pm

If you guys really want to worry about mail order, try ordering something from germany. I ordered 2 other yate loon models, a 1600 and a 2000 rpm version, and a papst from www.ichbinleise.de. Everything arrived today without delay and in good shape. - FG

hank

hmmm ....

Post by hank » Thu Feb 03, 2005 2:05 pm

February 3, 2005 using Froogle -- just for a sanity check

http://evertek.com/viewpart.asp?auto=13713
(this is a wholesaler with a $100 minimum, to dealers only)

Quantity In Stock 210
Unit Dimensions Are 4.75x4.75x1 inches
12.1x12.1x2.5 cm
Price for Buying 1+ $4.00
Price for Buying 10+ $3.25
Product Number FAN-D12SL-12