This fan looks like a NEXUS 120mm (FOR $8 + shipping)

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

york

Post by york » Sat Jan 15, 2005 12:29 pm

Edward Ng wrote:Yeah I only meant in looks. Right now I have so many 120mm fans I have no idea what to do with them all.
Remove your side panel and internal fans, super glue about 9 -12 together to make a new uber fan panel, or stack them and make a very messy fruit juicer.

Thunder

Post by Thunder » Sat Jan 15, 2005 7:56 pm

Anyone tried ordering from Evertek? Their fans are the cheapest but their reseller ratings are not great, but for 4 bucks I’m considering buying from them because I can buy twice as many for the same price :D

Mr_Smartepants

Post by Mr_Smartepants » Sun Jan 16, 2005 3:54 am

Thunder wrote:Anyone tried ordering from Evertek?
You'll need a resale license to order. Just check their FAQ. :(

Interitus

Post by Interitus » Sun Jan 16, 2005 7:08 am

Edward Ng wrote:Yeah I only meant in looks. Right now I have so many 120mm fans I have no idea what to do with them all.
lol i feel your pain

I have 11 sitting on my desk right now and don't know what to do with them all...I'll probably sell off a few since there's no way I need them all, just don't know which to get rid of lol.

2xNexus 120mm
2xYate Loon D12SL-12
2xYate Loon D12SM-12 LED
2xAntec BQE stock
1xPanaflo Blue label FBK 120mm
2xGlobe 120mm

My guess is I'll keep the Nexus and Yate Loon's....

niels007

Post by niels007 » Sun Jan 16, 2005 7:47 am

So has anyone put the Yate Loon orange fans up directly against the 'Nexus' stickered ones? Are they really exactly the same?

Tibors
Patron of SPCR

Post by Tibors » Sun Jan 16, 2005 8:04 am

You just have to look at the specs (most notably the rpm, as the cfm and dBA can be "fake") to know they are not exactly the same. This just means you have to feed a little lower voltage to the Yate Loons to obtain the same result.

Yate Loon D12SL-12
Size: 120x120x25
rpm: 1350
cfm: 47.0
dBA: 28

Nexus 120mm Real Silent Case Fan
Size: 120x120x25
rpm: 1000
cfm: 36.87
dBA: 22,8

Edward Ng
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Edward Ng » Sun Jan 16, 2005 8:38 am

I played around with the 80mm aluminum ones and the black 80mm plastic ones last night, and both sorts, all samples, exhibit horrible high frequency ticking. :cry: So much so that they actually sound as though they're buzzing.

No comparison to AF80CTs or a Nexus 80 that I had on hand.

-Ed

yeha

Post by yeha » Sun Jan 16, 2005 8:51 pm

Ed:

just wondering, were these fans among those you tested and found wanting?

fan 1, fan 2, fan 3.

i've been looking to purchase some fans of these design (both aluminum-frame and plastic-frame) but if they're that bad, i'll keep looking.

Edward Ng
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Edward Ng » Sun Jan 16, 2005 8:57 pm

This is the one, but the model designation differs dramatically, reading D80SM-12, and the shape of the blades is completely different; the shape of the blades on the fans you linked looks much more like the 120mm blue LED fans that I bought, which are much smoother sounding than the one I linked. However, the surface on the blades of the 120s is frosted, not smooth like those fans you linked (at least they look smooth, rather than frosted). There's something weird going on, here...

-Ed

yeha

Post by yeha » Sun Jan 16, 2005 9:34 pm

ah not to worry :)

the fans i linked to were the non-yate-loon ones listed here for $4.45, but i believe all the ones you tested were the yate loon models for $5 and $3.75 respectively.

i am interested in the FM802512M fans due to Bluefront's encouraging post, and found a bunch of fans with the same model number or UPC code here, but after your post i was afraid that Bluefront got the cream of the crop. perhaps not? for some reason, finding quiet new fans is strangely exciting.

edit: i went ahead and ordered the 3 fans I listed (aluminum frame, plastic fins) as the all-aluminum one that Bluefront received has sold out. i also picked up the 120mm fan everyone seems to love to have something to compare them with - my only quiet fans are NMB B19s and Panaflo 24V M1As running at 12V, so it should be a fun showdown.

and thanks to phuzer for the "fatwallet" promotion code!

Bluefront
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Bluefront » Mon Jan 17, 2005 5:05 pm

This fan thing is getting to me....I bought two orange Yate Loons, to replace the Globe fans in my new project. And I tested them before I installed them.....very quiet with some soft clicking at 5v. They do start at a straight 5v w/o PWM.

Now here's the strange part....fan #1 will only do about 1225rpms at 12v. Fan #2 maxes at 1120 rpms. I tried them attached to the main board, and attached to an external controller with an rpm readout. Similar results....

I intend to use them mounted horizontal, but I found if I turned them vertical, I gained 30-40 rpms. They've been running about 12 hours at 12v so I guess the bearings should be broke in...rpms haven't changed. Hummm.... :roll:

Edward Ng
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Edward Ng » Mon Jan 17, 2005 5:15 pm

Bluefront, there's always a possibility that a great deal of the added cost in buying the Nexus ones is very strict QC; they may literally be hand picking them to sell under the Nexus badge, which means better consistency between samples and better consistency in terms of rpm at any given voltage. We may be buying the leftovers, here--pieces that didn't meet Nexus' stringent QC and were then sold off or returned to Yate Loon.

-Ed

Bluefront
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Bluefront » Mon Jan 17, 2005 5:32 pm

Yeah NG...you could be right. For me I really needed at least 1350 rpms for a safety margin on the CPU fan. So I'm running ok right now, but come summer I might have some problems.

Guess I'll have to keep looking. The Globe fan I was using had a sufficient rpm, but wouldn't start at 5v.....plus emitted a low-grade growling at lower rpms.You couldn't hear it in free air, but mounted in the case, it wasn't acceptable. :cry:

I also bought a blue LED 120 Yate Loon in this last order. It is almost as quiet as the Orange model at the same rpm.....plus it will do 1600 rpms. Maybe I'll try that fan for the CPU...

DrCR

Post by DrCR » Tue Jan 18, 2005 2:10 pm

Edward Ng wrote:Bluefront, there's always a possibility that a great deal of the added cost in buying the Nexus ones is very strict QC; they may literally be hand picking them to sell under the Nexus badge, which means better consistency between samples and better consistency in terms of rpm at any given voltage. We may be buying the leftovers, here--pieces that didn't meet Nexus' stringent QC and were then sold off or returned to Yate Loon.

-Ed
Excellent sagacity. I never even considered that.

DrCR

________

xxkrnxstylezxx

Post by xxkrnxstylezxx » Tue Jan 18, 2005 3:16 pm

would the orange yate loons be quieter than the globes at 5volts (or 7, not sure)??

I have the globes, but I'm wondering if I should get these

Bluefront
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Bluefront » Tue Jan 18, 2005 3:40 pm

I just replaced two Globe fans (S1202512L-3M) with these Orange Yate Loons. They are quieter at the same rpms.....plus My Globes would not start at 5V. The Yate Loons will.

direavenger

Post by direavenger » Wed Jan 19, 2005 6:28 am

Just wondering if anyone received their Yate Loon shipments yet from http://www.isellsurplus.com. I bought three of them a couple of days ago and I was wondering how quick those guys are.

EDIT: Nevermind, I forgot to check at the bottom of page 3 of this thread :roll: .

eander315

Post by eander315 » Wed Jan 19, 2005 9:38 am

niels007 wrote:So has anyone put the Yate Loon orange fans up directly against the 'Nexus' stickered ones? Are they really exactly the same?
I ordered a Nexus fan from Silicon Acoustics the day before I saw this thread about these Yate Loons. I ordered a couple of them from Computergeek, and received all 3 the same day. As far as physical appearance goes, all 3 are exactly the same, with the exception of the hub sticker. All 3 came with a 4-pin Molex connector as well as a 3-pin header, both hard wired to the fan. The 3-pin lead is encased in a short length of shrink-tubing. All 3 are very well-made, and the Yate Loons do not appear to be of inferior build quality.

I have not had a chance to plug them in, so I can't say anything about sound volume, etc, but physically they appear to be identical.

rtsai

Post by rtsai » Wed Jan 19, 2005 2:49 pm

FWIW, if you haven't ordered yet, and are thinking about it, isellsurplus is having free shipping today, no minimum.

Mr_Smartepants

Post by Mr_Smartepants » Wed Jan 19, 2005 4:44 pm

I just got mine yesterday from the geeks. Wow, they're quiet. But they don't push all that much air. I'm going to swap out the Panaflo L1A and Globe fans I've got in my Sonata this weekend and see what happens with the temps.
The free shipping at isellsurplus is just for orders over $25.

Just a side note, I tried breaking in my Papst 4412FGL for a couple of hours but it still has bad vibrations/clicking from 12V down to about 6V. Must have been a bad batch. Back into the box it goes with the rest of the rejects.

Bluefront
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Bluefront » Thu Jan 20, 2005 3:31 pm

Well I tried out the blue LED 120mm Yate Loon I got from CompGeeks. This fan maxes at about 1480rpms.....which is about what I was looking for in a CPU fan. The orange model is just too slow.

This is a nice fan....if I run it at the same rpm as the orange model, they sound exactly the same to me. So I'm sticking with this fan. It has no motor noise compared to my previous Globe fan. For the cheap price it's a winner. :D

TealFreak

Post by TealFreak » Thu Jan 20, 2005 5:29 pm

Has anyone mounted this orange fan to an xp-120? Does it require modification of the corner posts or does it fit with no mods?

itchiee

Post by itchiee » Thu Jan 20, 2005 5:46 pm

Hello,

I've been visiting this site for awhile reading alot and getting tips and ideas, great site. I followed this thread and ordered 2 clear blue yate loon fans from compugeeks and they arrived today. They seem to spin at 1600rpm at top speed according to Speedfan 4.19. And overall aren't as loud as I expected at that speed. Lowering them to 75% they are barely audible (My Zalman 7000B-Cu is louder at 2100rpm) and anything lower you cant hear them at all. Speedfan lets me go to 25% until they shut off. I don't know what RPMs they spin at cause 65% and under it doesn't list the speed. They are running in a Antec 3700 BQE case.

Anyway just wanted to share and thank you guys for finding these gems. I wanted the orange ones but they were sold out (Guess due to the massive demand this thread arose). But i'm glad I went with the blues. I like the color and it matches my Saitek gaming keyboard which lights up blue. I also like having a 1600rpm top speed as my system is a bit beefy and I can't reduce the fans too low when gaming......

AMD 64 3500+
Asus A8V motherboard
Corsair PC3200xl DDR
Radeon x800 XTPE

BlueCan
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by BlueCan » Thu Jan 20, 2005 5:56 pm

TealFreak wrote:Has anyone mounted this orange fan to an xp-120? Does it require modification of the corner posts or does it fit with no mods?
Yes.

They have "closed corners", so while you may be able to mount them without doing so, you're better off modifying the fans. It's not very hard--takes maybe 5 minutes per fan.

Here's a tutorial (I used a 'combo' method--dremel and crush):
http://forums.silentpcreview.com/viewtopic.php?t=18368

-Patrick

slipknottin

Post by slipknottin » Thu Jan 20, 2005 8:10 pm

I got two of the orange YL's from isellsurplus. Both will go up to ~1300rpms.

The only thing I had on hand to compare them to is panaflo M1a's. For the same amount of noise, I get more airflow with the YL's. I have both slightly undervolted, probably around 11 volts. I had to have the panaflo's at ~5v to get the same noise level.

yeha

Post by yeha » Fri Jan 21, 2005 11:24 pm

Bluefront wrote:I just recieved my order of fans from CompGeeks today. And there's a sleeper(surprise) among these fans. It's the all-silver 80mm aluminum frame fan for $3.50 called Typhoon.

This thing is quiet, quieter than the Yate Loon aluminum fan with the black fins. The model # on the label is FM802512M. The label is similar to the Yate Loon......but I don't think that's a Yate Loon #.

Starts at 5V, and has no bearing noise. Even at 12v it's quiet..... beats the Yate Loon easily. :D
hi Bluefront,

i just received some of these fans from compgeeks - the blue, red and multi-color led ones with plastic blades and aluminum frames. i assume they're the same fan as yours, just with different colored plastic and wonderful flashing leds. running at 12V, they seem to drift between 2200 and 2400 RPM, depending on how restricted their airflow is (?). i detect no motor noise at all, just an impressive amount of airflow and respective wooshing sound. also, there are absolutely no vibrations being transmitted through the frame, which i find amazing for those RPMs!

is there any way you could verify that your aluminum FM802512M fan also runs at ~2200-2400 RPM at 12V? It turns out my motherboard's PWM abilities are lacking, and my fanmate hasn't arrived yet, so i can't test any low-RPM behaviour.

Nessism

isellsurplus.com

Post by Nessism » Sat Jan 22, 2005 7:44 am

I ordered some of these fans and isellsurplus took five days to ship. Very poor performance in my book. :oops:

Not a deal breaker but be warned not to be in a hurry from these guys.

Ed

slipknottin

Re: isellsurplus.com

Post by slipknottin » Sat Jan 22, 2005 11:08 am

Nessism wrote:I ordered some of these fans and isellsurplus took five days to ship. Very poor performance in my book. :oops:

Not a deal breaker but be warned not to be in a hurry from these guys.

Ed
They shipped mine the same day i ordered... Took 4 days from order to arrival.

rtsai

Post by rtsai » Sat Jan 22, 2005 11:14 am

I agree that isellsurplus.com is "slow". I ordered on Sunday, they didn't ship until Friday. They get an extra day for MLK Monday (no mail/FedEx/etc.), but still ...

Not a good choice if you're in a hurry.

I ordered 3 of these fans from them ($26 shipped); I didn't see the "free shipping for orders over $25" notice on their website when I ordered, otherwise I would have just gotten 4. D'oh. :x

slipknottin

Post by slipknottin » Sat Jan 22, 2005 11:28 am

Maybe it had to do with the courier you chose?