This fan looks like a NEXUS 120mm (FOR $8 + shipping)

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Mr_Smartepants

Re: TekGems has 'em

Post by Mr_Smartepants » Thu Jan 27, 2005 6:18 am

David Mitchell wrote:There's another source for the orange 120mm: TekGems. The price for one to nine fans is $10.99 each, but buy ten or more and the price is $3.90 each!
Thanks for the link! I just ordered a pack of ten! With shipping, came to just under $50 USD. $5 a fan delivered! Woohoo.
Not like I need 10 fans but you never know..... :lol:

smoothness

Post by smoothness » Thu Jan 27, 2005 8:29 am

great! let us know how long it takes to ship, service, etc.

eander315

Post by eander315 » Fri Jan 28, 2005 11:02 am

I ordered 10 from TekGems too. Hope they are the same as the Geeks.com fan. I'm going to use 4 of them on an aluminum 11x11x3/4 inch transmission cooler. Now I just need to figure out a cheap way to slow them all down a little.

Smoken Joe

Post by Smoken Joe » Sat Jan 29, 2005 2:04 am

eander315 wrote:I ordered 10 from TekGems too. Hope they are the same as the Geeks.com fan. I'm going to use 4 of them on an aluminum 11x11x3/4 inch transmission cooler. Now I just need to figure out a cheap way to slow them all down a little.
I bought 10 too they did not have much of a rating in reseller ratings but they had 100 on bizrate with no negatives. They sent a reply later that day that it was ready for shipping. I will post a reply when I get them in case anyone else is interested in them. I wont need ten so I would be happy to ship one off for testing if there is intrest. I am keping the best 3 though unless they are junk.

anthonysimilion

Post by anthonysimilion » Sat Jan 29, 2005 6:16 am

Smoken Joe wrote:
eander315 wrote:I ordered 10 from TekGems too. Hope they are the same as the Geeks.com fan. I'm going to use 4 of them on an aluminum 11x11x3/4 inch transmission cooler. Now I just need to figure out a cheap way to slow them all down a little.
I bought 10 too they did not have much of a rating in reseller ratings but they had 100 on bizrate with no negatives. They sent a reply later that day that it was ready for shipping. I will post a reply when I get them in case anyone else is interested in them. I wont need ten so I would be happy to ship one off for testing if there is intrest. I am keping the best 3 though unless they are junk.
Please do tell us - if they're good, I'm thinking of ordering 10 of them - even though I'm in Australia.

MonsterMac

Re: Question for Antec case owners

Post by MonsterMac » Sat Jan 29, 2005 9:35 am

TealFreak wrote:Well I just went and bought four of these orange fans from iseller. It was cheaper to buy a 4th fan and get free shipping then to buy 3 and pay for shipping :twisted: My next newbie question for you guys is I am thinking about purchasing the SLK3000B case from Antec. Apparently the front fan mount is non-standard. Have you guys mounted these orange fans in a 3000B? What kind of work did you have to do to make them fit?
Actually you have to widen the holes that are already there with a dremel tool, or if you're really skilled, you can use a drill to drill another hole. It is non standard, and you do have to mod it to get the fan to fit with silicon isolaters, or even screws if you wanted to do that, but without modification, the cheapo plastic mount is your only option.

Tibors
Patron of SPCR

Re: Question for Antec case owners

Post by Tibors » Sat Jan 29, 2005 9:40 am

MonsterMac wrote:but without modification, the cheapo plastic mount is your only option.
With the zip tie method you don't have to mod the case nor the fans.

eander315

Post by eander315 » Sat Jan 29, 2005 5:32 pm

I have received 5 emails from them since ordering yesterday. According to the last email, they shipped my fans today, on a Saturday. I'm very impressed with their service so far. Hopefully the fans will be as good.

Nessism

isellsurplus Yate Loon's

Post by Nessism » Sat Jan 29, 2005 9:11 pm

Got around to installing my $7 Yate Loon's today and I'm quite impressed. They don't move a whole lot of air but are VERY quiet. I clipped off the 4 pin connector and mounted one on an XP-120. My A64 3200 temp top out at 53C as measured by my MSI 8KN FSR.

Installed a second one in the backboard of my case. Rigged up a silent case fan mount by taking a couple of spare Antec hard drive grommets and installed them after hogging out the holes. Used 1/2" 10-24 screws to hold the fan in place. Works great.

A different fan purchase did not work out as well. Bought some FBA12G12M 120mm Panaflo's (mid speed) from B G Micro http://www.bgmicro.com/lmad.asp for $4 each but they vibrate like crazy. Bought three and the first two are unusable in my opinion. I'll try the last one later but I'm kind of bummed about these. At least they were cheap.

Ed
Last edited by Nessism on Sun Jan 30, 2005 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Smoken Joe

Post by Smoken Joe » Sun Jan 30, 2005 4:14 am

eander315 wrote:I have received 5 emails from them since ordering yesterday. According to the last email, they shipped my fans today, on a Saturday. I'm very impressed with their service so far. Hopefully the fans will be as good.

Me too the tracking number they gave me is wrong or simply not in the system yet. Not uncommon even a day or two after somthing has shipped but annoying anyway. Looks like he is trying hard to win buisness. I hope this is ligit. Did you get a tracking number?

Mr_Smartepants

Post by Mr_Smartepants » Sun Jan 30, 2005 11:57 am

They're shipping mine to my APO address. The tracking number I got yesterday was from their distributor to their shop where they'll divert the shipment to me via USPS. Their shop should get it Monday when presumably they'll cross ship them to me.

Becks

Post by Becks » Sun Jan 30, 2005 9:04 pm

I've gotten a tracking number nad everything.... i even got an email from someone there asking why there has been so many orders for that fan ;)

[email protected]$ is a pretty good deal, low shipping cost.... hopefully monday the tracking number shows up.

David Mitchell
Friend of SPCR

Post by David Mitchell » Mon Jan 31, 2005 6:47 am

I finally decided to order from TekGems as well. I'm gambling on the 8025M being good; I ordered 11 of those and 22 of the D12SL-12 for $121.21.

faro

Post by faro » Mon Jan 31, 2005 12:25 pm

I emailed them about the 8025M fans and the reply was the the fans that will ship are the same as the ones in the picture.

velvet45

Post by velvet45 » Tue Feb 01, 2005 6:27 am

I ordered 5 of the 8025M- blk fans from Geeks.com a while back but haven't had time to test them yet. Burcakb said he thought they were Yate Loons and that I should try them.

Upon examining the fans and comparing them to Yate Loons website, it is impossible to tell if they are the sleeve bearing or ball bearing model without ripping one of them apart (which I might do anyway). They do look identical in every way to the fans they manufacture. Yate loon makes both types of bearing model under the same model number in the 80mm, and the only difference is a slightly higher speed for the ball bearing (2200 RPM vs 2100).

Has anyone tried these and what did you think? Only one person here has made any statement about this and his fans were suspect (did not have the Yate Loon type labeling).

Smoken Joe

Post by Smoken Joe » Tue Feb 01, 2005 7:52 am

Becks wrote:I've gotten a tracking number nad everything.... i even got an email from someone there asking why there has been so many orders for that fan ;)

[email protected]$ is a pretty good deal, low shipping cost.... hopefully monday the tracking number shows up.
The original tracking number on mine finaly showed up in the system. I got a very quick reply to my email to them asking about it. They stated that it doesnt show up in the system immedatly which is true. Cant wait to test them out.

eander315

Post by eander315 » Tue Feb 01, 2005 8:29 am

I haven't checked to see if my tracking number is active yet, but I did receive a letter from TekGems yesterday that included an invoice and a buisiness card from the owner. I imagine he thinks that anyone who would order 10 orange 120mm fans must be a business customer, as no one individual in their right mind would need that many fans. Either that or he's just giving the best customer service I've ever seen from an online retailer (maybe with the exception of Zappos.com).

smoothness

Post by smoothness » Tue Feb 01, 2005 8:47 am

well as soon as he ships the fans to those who took the plunge first, he'll find out that he'll have a lot more business customers :wink: .

Mr_Smartepants

Post by Mr_Smartepants » Tue Feb 01, 2005 11:57 am

Bummer! :cry:
UPS Tracker wrote: Feb 1, 2005
10:57 A.M.

SAN FRANCISCO, CA, US

THE RECEIVER WAS UNAVAILABLE TO SIGN ON THE 1ST DELIVERY ATTEMPT. A 2ND DELIVERY ATTEMPT WILL BE MADE
Guess I'm waiting an extra day.

HammerSandwich
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by HammerSandwich » Tue Feb 01, 2005 12:15 pm

I got some from isellsurplus recently. They were very slow to ship and backordered the one other item despite showing "in stock" when I placed the order. Won't be using them again...

The Yate Loon D12SL-12 is the quietest 120 I've used, though I've never tried the actual Nexus version. The fans offer plenty of airflow; I can't imagine Bluefront's desire for more than these move at 12v. They undervolt like crazy, with one fan running at 2.75v! That's not needed, since airflow noise vanishes into the background at 5-7v. OTOH, I can hear motor and bearing noise at these speeds from 1M. This is not a problem with the fan in my PC under the desk, though I had expected none based on the raves here. While my 4 fans exhibit some variation between samples, the worst still beats my Evercool and Enermax/Globe 120s.

Great fans, especially for the money. Just don't expect complete silence, even at 5V.

frankgehry

isellsurplus

Post by frankgehry » Tue Feb 01, 2005 1:09 pm

I ordered some from isellsurplus as well. It hasn't been that long, but its good to know they will probably get here eventually. - RD

Nefarious

Post by Nefarious » Tue Feb 01, 2005 2:36 pm

I ordered some from isellsurplus as well. It's been over a week. and it still says "approved". I sent them 3 emails as to why they already charged my account, but nothing has been moving since then.I I haven't gotten a response from them yet. I'll just wait patiently till they come, but like HammerSandwich, I wont be ordering from them again.

frankgehry

isellsurplus

Post by frankgehry » Tue Feb 01, 2005 2:57 pm

Nefarious,

My isellsurplus fans came either saturday or today and they look fine. I don't remember exactly when I ordered them - something is wrong with my email at the moment - but I have a feeling yours should be arriving soon. It seems like its been 10 - 14 days since I ordered them. - FG

I ordered them on 1/25/05, got a shipped confirmation on 1/28/05 and received them today.

Nefarious

Post by Nefarious » Tue Feb 01, 2005 3:45 pm

I ordered mine on 1/23/2005, and its still under "approved" and not "shipped" :(. I don't mind the waiting, but at least respond to me emails. I'd just like to hear from them so I know that they haven't went out of buisness :P

Bluefront
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Bluefront » Tue Feb 01, 2005 4:00 pm

Well as far as fan speed goes, and how much you need, it depends. The two orange 120s I got from CompGeeks maxed out about 1150-1250. This would be plenty for a PSU or a rear case fan under most conditions. But I'm using one 120 as a combo rear case fan/cpu fan. And it's a P4-3.2. Now I set a max CPU temp for this computer at 46C (with two instances of CPUBurn running). In order to achieve this temp, I need a fan speed about 1400......so the orange Yate Loons won't work. I then changed to the blue LED Yate Loon. The speed was ok, but I started getting motor noises with my new PWM fan controller.

So I changed again back to my Globe 120s....not as quiet motor-wise as the Yate Loons, but have sufficient speed, and no motor noise with my PWM controller. A never-ending process it seems, trying to balance out noise and temperatures..... :roll:

Thunder

Post by Thunder » Tue Feb 01, 2005 4:37 pm

I ordered from isellsurplus and the order came in 7 workdays, make sure all of the things you are ordering have the little green circle next to them in the checkout screen otherwise it will take longer. Also my status said approved, not shipped right up to the day they arrived. Looks like the tracking system is all messed up>

As far as the fans go I am very pleased, the bearing noise is minimal and near identical to my nexus. Unfortunately the aluminum-housed 80mm were not quite as good.

neologan

Post by neologan » Wed Feb 02, 2005 3:30 am

i'm awaiting th results from people too and i'm pretty interested in the 8020m's too , might end up buying 20 fans, dunno what i'll do with them all :P

velvet45

Post by velvet45 » Wed Feb 02, 2005 5:57 am

I hate to keep asking, but has anyone tried the 8025M's yet? I guess not. Seems like most are only interested in the 120's (understandably) but I have an older Antec 130 fileserver case I am going to be using these in. I have five in a box so I will try them out tonight and post my results here in case anyone else is interested. I emailed Geeks.com to ask if they know if the 8025M's they sold me are sleeve or ball bearing models but I doubt they will know the difference. I may be able to tell by hooking them up to RPM monitor and comparing with the specs on the Yate Loon website.

frankgehry

80 mm fans

Post by frankgehry » Wed Feb 02, 2005 8:10 am

V,

Does is have a model number. A ball bearing would be something like 8025 mb with the b meaning ball bearings and an 8025S would be a sleeve bearing. For example the orange 120's are d12sl - 12. - FG

miks2u
Patron of SPCR

Post by miks2u » Wed Feb 02, 2005 8:27 am

I just jumped on the TekGems bandwagon, hopefully I'll have them this weekend :D