Is it bad to plug and unplug your CPU fan on a running MB?

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

technarch

Is it bad to plug and unplug your CPU fan on a running MB?

Post by technarch » Fri Jan 28, 2005 8:20 pm

My CPU is about 2 degrees hotter with the new PSU.. I was wondering if this is because the voltage according to MBM5 goes as high as 1.77 on the core, when it would normally be 1.73

Or was it because yesterday I was testing to see if my Panaflo L1A was wearing out and plugged and unplugged it a couple times on a running motherboard to see how it was.

Devonavar
SPCR Reviewer

Airflow

Post by Devonavar » Fri Jan 28, 2005 11:06 pm

Most likely you've rearranged the contents of your case a bit when you switched the power supply. This may have affected the airflow in your case. Things like IDE cables especially have a significant impact on the airflow pattern in your case, and can affect temperatures negatively if they block too much air.

Smoken Joe

Post by Smoken Joe » Sat Jan 29, 2005 1:49 am

You change in temp could easaly be due to higher voltage on the CPU if your new PS is providing more voltage The new PS might not be venting as much air especaly if you moved to a silent PSU. Od cource MBM is not 100% accurate change in voltage can change the reported results. As stated cable management is very inportant to airflow as well as fan placement.

No it is not good to plug and unplug fans wile the PCU is running though if you do it cleanly there is rarly any damage. The kicker is when there is damage it can fry parts.

Elixer

Post by Elixer » Sat Jan 29, 2005 1:53 am

It's possible that the change in the power supply has made the motherboard recieve a slightly higher voltage and so pass it on to your processor, raising the voltage, and consequently the temperature. There are so many things that play into processor temperature readings though that a 2 degree change probably cannot be blamed on one single thing.