a stretch - possibily the 92 mm nexus.

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

smoothness

a stretch - possibily the 92 mm nexus.

Post by smoothness » Tue Feb 15, 2005 1:42 pm

here's a longshot. looked at the edging/pressing for the 92mm nexus, and this foxconn, and they look the same. I'm probably wrong, but hey, at 1.50 a pop, it can't hurt to try. i can't try it because i only have 80s, but someone else want to give it a shot?

remember - don't be a pompous forum elite, and just knock it because i posted something that might not be true. granted, i didn't take a very hard look at it, but new information, whether good or bad, is always useful.

yeha

Post by yeha » Tue Feb 15, 2005 2:00 pm

for such a low price (it's difficult to buy from a manufacturer, resale and still make money for ~$0.50 per fan), and the fact that foxconn is a rather large manufacturer of computer parts, i'd say it's more likely that foxconn made these fans themselves and they went straight to xoxide from the factory.

unfortunately it's hard to find any fan information on foxconn's website :(

like most manufacturers, half the things they make don't seem to officially exist. for such a cheap fan though, it couldn't hurt to give it a try. perhaps we've got another manufacturer of good quiet fans here?

edit #2: oops bad picture link.
Last edited by yeha on Tue Feb 15, 2005 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

burcakb

Post by burcakb » Tue Feb 15, 2005 3:18 pm

yeha,

That's a 80mm nexus you linked to.

However, I did compare it to my own nexus. First, the electrical specs are wrong. The Nexus 92mm is a 0.25A fan. Second, the blade surface area of the foxconn is significantly smaller than the nexus.

But I agree that this is probably a foxconn original production. And judging by the superior quality of their other products, it might be worth a try. My guess is it will feel like a "medium" speed nexus if it ever existed.

David Mitchell
Friend of SPCR

Post by David Mitchell » Wed Mar 02, 2005 7:30 pm

I picked up five of those fans, along with a couple of other things, after seeing this thread. Unfortunately, they have a pretty unpleasant buzz at 12V that nearly turns into a tick at 5V. Without that they would be quite nice. If anything changes after I leave one running over-night, I'll let y'all know.