1700rpm Yate Loon by Mad Dog?.

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Aleksi
Friend of SPCR

Post by Aleksi » Tue Mar 15, 2005 1:42 am

Hi guys

I'm trying to get the Globes through a friend, who can order components from a finnish importer/distributor who also has HEC/Compucase in their list. The globes (S1202512L) are widely available as compucase fans, but this model has the temperature sensor attached.

But here's one that surprised me: I opened up a HEC Windmill 385W PSU last weekend and found a fan labeled "HEC S1202512L". I'm not fully clear what's the relationship with HEC and compucase (they should be the one and the same) but obviously they have some differences in fan models.

The representative from the finnish importer said, that he could get both models, but I'm very sceptical about them getting the HEC labeled fan. But, it is always possible they supply those fans to bigger distributors as case fans, worth a shot.

Anyway, I'm going to check the temp controlled globe, in case it can be easily modded to run at full speed. I'll let you guys know how it goes. btw,
is there a reason why people don't get the temp controlled version of Globe? Are there differences in the fan or is this version also unobtainable right now? I've always understood the Globes referenced were the model without the sensor?

Bluefront
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Bluefront » Tue Mar 15, 2005 3:39 am

Way OT for a Yate Loon thread......but I used the temp controlled Globe for a while (still got five). Simply shorting across the sensor makes the thing run full-speed....about 1750 or so.

The big problem with the temp control circuit is it's temp/rpm curve. It starts out about 1350rpms.....but in order to get it to go full speed, you need to find a spot that gets really hot to attach the sensor. My CPU idles at about 36C with a maximum temp under 45C.....this causes the Globe to only gain about 100rpms, maybe less.

This makes the temp-control fairly useless. But it's a quiet fan none-the-less. :)

Aleksi
Friend of SPCR

Post by Aleksi » Tue Mar 15, 2005 3:45 am

Hi Bluefront

Thanks for the info. I don't really need the temp sensor, so it's good to know they can be run at full speed.

That gives a sort of an idea though; replacing the thermistor with a normal resistor (maybe even a SMD resistor if you want it to be unnoticable) should reduce the speed if needed. That would elimate the need to use a high power (>1W) resistor (don't remember the english term).

Bluefront
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Bluefront » Tue Mar 15, 2005 3:54 am

If you under-volt this Globe, the temp-control still works normal.

Here's what I did to my CPU/Globe to get the full RPM range to work. It works great....but sort-of over-kill and a bunch of extra wires. :lol:

Aleksi
Friend of SPCR

Post by Aleksi » Tue Mar 15, 2005 4:33 am

I'll be using PWM to control the fan, so just removing the thermistor and soldering the ends together should be enough though... Your idea was still quite nice though.

DrCR

Post by DrCR » Tue Mar 15, 2005 6:16 am

OT continued... Glad to hear about the Globes! lol To late to start a new, separate thread on it now lol. :lol:

Looking forward to hearing back from you Aleksi on how it goes.

frankgehry

Mr Kim very very nice man

Post by frankgehry » Tue Mar 15, 2005 7:06 am

Mr Kim from Tekgems is a very nice guy. Whenever I place an order he thanks me in a email. I asked him if he knew the cfm and rpms for the new fan they have and he did not. He sent back an email, asked what cfms are, and said the the guys at silentpcreview know alot about fans. I think I will get a list of fans together and see if he can get them for us. He said on an order of ten fans he only makes about $5, but it adds up. - FG

DrCR

Re: Mr Kim very very nice man

Post by DrCR » Tue Mar 15, 2005 7:18 am

What's his "bread and butter" then, do you know? Perhaps from surplus?

It would be really awesome if we had a go-to vendor for hard to get stuff. Did he say if he was going to try to get some more orange yate loons?

On the side, a pm is coming your way FG.

DrCR

_________

ET Awful

Back on the Mad Dog fans . . .

Post by ET Awful » Tue Mar 15, 2005 4:07 pm

I finally picked up a few of these. I'm actually rather pleased, especially for a fan that I can pick up locally (and since I live 10 minutes from New Hampshire, I can get it tax free as well).

So, I have one at full speed on my XP-120 which is a little noisier than I'd like, but not objectionable. I have one front and rear (in a Compucase case) at 7v (and also a 92mm Mad Dog fan from the same series).

Very smooth sound, no bearing noise that I can detect. . . I can hear them, but ambient noise (considering I usually have the TV on in the background), drowns out the majority of the fan noise.

Does anyone know how these perform with a PWM controller before I take the time to re-run the wiring for one?

dyle

Post by dyle » Tue Mar 15, 2005 11:29 pm

DrCR wrote:dyle, definitly go for the Nexus if you're going to mod your Zalman 7000. You can get the 92mm at a lot of places now, as I found out when bargin hunting a Thermalright SI-97. Try a froogle.com search if you want, or just head over to siliconacoustics or endpcnoise.

frankgehry, so do you *know* they're still in production? I'm going to start a new thread on the subject...

DrCR

________
I was heavily considering the nexus but could just not bring myself to buy a 20+ something 92mm fan that i will just be cutting out to fit in the 7000.

visited my local compusa today and picked up both the 92mm whisperfan version and the aluminum everflow and here are my thoughts:

92mm whisperfan definitely did not impress me and i'm even new to the silent pc scene. at full load, it had a buzzing soundn that never went away when undervolted by a zalman fan controller. it also did not push enough airflow for a heatsink fan replacement. i wouldn't call this fan noisy but it's not quiet.

I was definitely happy with the everflow fan, which was still around 15.00 but after listening to it, i could definitely say that it was worth it. it was quieter than the zalman 92mm fan at the same rpms and my temps did not really differ that much. Also looked good with the chrome finish with my heatsink :)

DrCR

Post by DrCR » Wed Mar 16, 2005 6:02 am

dyle wrote: I was heavily considering the nexus but could just not bring myself to buy a 20+ something 92mm fan that i will just be cutting out to fit in the 7000.
? The 92mm is about $13.

At any rate, glad you got a setup that works for you. The Al Everflow is a good fan and as you mentioned, has some nice bling-bling too. :)

DrCR

dyle

Post by dyle » Wed Mar 16, 2005 9:23 am

DrCR wrote:
dyle wrote: I was heavily considering the nexus but could just not bring myself to buy a 20+ something 92mm fan that i will just be cutting out to fit in the 7000.
? The 92mm is about $13.

At any rate, glad you got a setup that works for you. The Al Everflow is a good fan and as you mentioned, has some nice bling-bling too. :)

DrCR

DrCR

Post by DrCR » Wed Mar 16, 2005 12:41 pm

dyle wrote:i know nexus fans are the best currently but i'm very happy w/ the everflow i got .
Glad to hear it. The Al Evercool is indeed a good fan. :)