Fan controller controlling PSU fan speed

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

jc-fury

Fan controller controlling PSU fan speed

Post by jc-fury » Fri Mar 18, 2005 10:59 am

Is it possible for a fan controller like the Zalman ZM-MFC1 to control the fan speed on the PSU by simply plugging the PSU fan 3 pin plug to the controller?

m0002a

Post by m0002a » Fri Mar 18, 2005 11:18 am

Yes, it is possible. You can also control it with a Fanmate.

Tibors
Patron of SPCR

Post by Tibors » Fri Mar 18, 2005 12:06 pm

That depends on what three pin connector you are thinking about. If you mean the connector that some PSU's have where the middle wire is missing, then the answer is no. These connectors are for monitoring the speed of the PSU fan only. If you mean opening up the PSU, disconnecting the PSU fan from the PSU's fan controller and rewiring it to the ZM-MFC1, then the answer is yes.

But a lot of PSU's have two pin connectors inside the PSU or the wires are directly soldered to a PCB. What brand and model PSU are you talking about? If you tell us we might be able to give some more exact advice.

jc-fury

Post by jc-fury » Fri Mar 18, 2005 1:16 pm

the PSU i have is nosiy, its an silverstone sst-360 hence why i want to quiet it down :D

cpemma

Post by cpemma » Fri Mar 18, 2005 4:15 pm

Tibors wrote:...If you mean opening up the PSU, disconnecting the PSU fan from the PSU's fan controller and rewiring it to the ZM-MFC1, then the answer is yes.

But a lot of PSU's have two pin connectors inside the PSU or the wires are directly soldered to a PCB.
With the 2-pin type, a standard 3-hole fan plug will often fit if you can pull the plastic 'box' off surrounding the psu fan header, leaving the 2 pins for the power holes on the 3-way plug. Handy for fan swapping. :wink:

mr pink

Post by mr pink » Fri Mar 18, 2005 6:44 pm

I wired my antec 38o ps fan replacement right to the motherboard w/ a zalman resistor inline. Works great. Still the loudest part of the system though.