Connecting two fans to one Mb-header

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

williemues

Connecting two fans to one Mb-header

Post by williemues » Fri Mar 25, 2005 3:51 pm

Is it Possible to connect two (identical) 3-pin fans to one mb-fanheader by "splicing" (don´t know if it is the right word in english, i.e. connecting) the wires in "parallel (signal-signal/ground-ground/rpm-rpm) down to one female 3-pin header. I know I have be aware of the current drawn from the Mb (these are 2 lowwattage papst 80mm I want to use to cool a psu from the inside (using an airintake duct).

Will the 2 fans behave as one?

Bluefront
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Bluefront » Fri Mar 25, 2005 4:30 pm

Well I've done it. Actually I bought the little wire harness ready-made. a plug for the MB header, which then splits into two headers. You may have a conflict with the RPM wires.....you could always just cut one (yellow) wire, so the board only reads one RPM signal.

Other than that you should be fine, if the current draw is low.

williemues

Post by williemues » Sat Mar 26, 2005 9:43 am

ok, thanks. will give it a go.

pm_

Post by pm_ » Tue Mar 29, 2005 8:02 am

I'm running a setup like this currently. I've purchased several of these (they're cheap enough):
http://www.svc.com/3pinyadapter.html

I have that hooked up to my northbridge fan header on my Abit IC7, and I have 2 120mm MadDog whisper fans ("fair" quality yate loons) hooked up to it (my northbridge is passively cooled).

The setup is working great right now. Just make sure that the header provides enough power to run both fans and you should be Ok.

Krispy

Post by Krispy » Fri Apr 01, 2005 9:09 am

Hi williemues, there is also "Y" adapter available with the yellow wire only fitted on one side, although cutting, as mentioned above, will work just as well.

As both your identical fans will get the same power, both Rpms will be pretty much the same anyway, so only one signal wire is needed. You are quite right to respect the Max Amperage available on your Mobo header.

I use this method to contol my CPU & one case fan as I have only one Mobo header that can control fanspeed. Using Speedfan it has worked very well for a long time. :)

williemues

Post by williemues » Fri Apr 08, 2005 4:04 pm

Thanks for Your answers.

My plans have changed, though, as I´ve given up on cooling an Antec tP 430 with two fans from the inside (Instead my idea is to turn it upside down, so the 92 mm. fan (replaced with a fairly quite 2000rpm Jmc) gets some cold air from a front intake duct in the upper cddrivebay - and through the ½inch free space above psu (I have an Aopen 500; the 600 series would be better ( a bit more space above psu)).

My plan now is to connect two 120mm. papst - one in front of cpuheatsink (towerheatpipe) and one in the back (exhaust).

pm_: What are the the wattage/mAmp of Your 120mm´s (As I have the same Mb)?
You don´t happen to know the excact power that can be drawn from the different headers?

Regards, Finn